Zeesboot by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:24 - wooden fishing vessel c. 1876 - small

Sweet comment  :)

many thanks Pete...

I spent some flanges for the water cooling tubes as well,

am thinking about how to do the deck beams and how to place the outcuts in the cabin area

Nils

DSCI7736.thumb.JPG.be88e8fa12fa9e513db601a738ec295d.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Bonet housing for the engine....

the port side has a large outcut, an additional hinged hatch cover will be on top, so the engine will not be hidden...

Nils

DSCI7737.thumb.JPG.a87f227242dec7d4be8c7c26e49aeee4.JPG

DSCI7739.thumb.JPG.8f1489c4d3f9001be7feed60319d1ebd.JPG

DSCI7738.thumb.JPG.924891490a8f15d1b829c1c380ae330c.JPG

DSCI7740.thumb.JPG.81f939575eb9c05d1830a1822e043dfd.JPG

DSCI7742.thumb.JPG.4828f2e194a97bab175507e39d5f6e89.JPG

DSCI7743.thumb.JPG.ff66aa4c5af4785dbc366f0f7c27be90.JPG

Bonnet with upper hatch and air ventilation blinds

DSCI7744.thumb.JPG.f5658b7399f7bafe59fb115eba9ffc05.JPG

little round ball at the end of the clutch lever, for better grip

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Thanks Pete,

because I have no given build plan, all the next steps will be acc. to my mind, from pictures, and from available liturature and from the web researches, the engine related part is now done,

there may perhaps later on be a little panel box for the helmsman with rpm, oil-temp and start /stop button.

Next I probably will move on with the deck beams, and the short cockpit side beams, and deck covering in thin ply,  (to be planked )

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Many thanks for looking in B.E.

I`m pleased you like the Zeesboot, it is a traditional two man crew workboat, as used for professional fishers in East German teritories on the Baltic sea near shores and mostly on the wide Bodden lakes,

in this case motorized around the turn of the century, 1900, which caused the live fish containments to be shifted from where now the engine is, to right and left of the centerboard, The fishy smell must have been all throughout the boats and the clothing of the crew at that time.

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

carrying on with the side deck support beams on the port side...

I`m using 4 mm thick,  7 fold layer ply to cut out the sidebeam members to get a strong support connection. Probably there will be 9 short sidebeams per side, and they will be trimmed off to suit the cockpit width and the working area. There will also be lashes (brass sheet strips) that find their lower anchouring points attached between these sidebeam ends and the inner skin planking of the hull. I need these strips later to sufficiently fasten an extra foot-rail plank about (3 mm gap) above the later deck level.

In the cabin area I wo`nt do too much timber joining work so the later cut out with view into the cabin wo`nt be spoilt (just as much as necessary for the static)

Nils

DSCI7746.thumb.JPG.7a5a41f8cf6570613775c02566fcb089.JPG

DSCI7747.thumb.JPG.72284d1324aef8f173118dd5a23a4e56.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

28 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Nils,

this is superb. I love the models that shows the inside intricacies and offer some educational contents.

You need to replace the engine mounting screws with some mini-bolts. They look way out of scale.

Yves

Thanks for looking in Yves, and for your comment.  :)

For mounting the engine I needed at least mini steel screws M1,4, anything thinner than that rips off, just by srewing it in. I`ve learnt my lesson there, and scalewise its a small compromise is`nt it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

Your builds are always first class, but on this one you may lose your vessel from a court action in federal court under the longshore-fishermen's act by not providing a safe work area for your crew.

I foresee a lawsuit naming you as the defendant, and the court seizing your vessel pending the outcome of the case. Also back wages for the fisherman and future life time medicals for the fisherman that received 3rd degree burns on his leg and his slicker catching on fire causing 2nd and 3rd degree burns about the upper body and face.

All because a negligent builder failed to wrap the muffler and pipes in asbestos or some other fire retardant material that was a direct cause of said injuries'.:D

John 

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Good morning John and Eberhard,

Thanks for your comments, and also to all those who clicked the "likes"....

John,

I had a broad smile from ear to ear when I read your lines.....

Think its just that what we remember as the good old days, compared with the regulations all over, we have for everything today. The exhaust pipe should get a little plate fixed with warning "hot, do`nt touch, danger of being burnt, plasters, bandage and Asperin in the cabin"  :)

Eberhard,

when I read asbestos the "red light" went on in my mind straight away, bearing all the facts you mentioned  :)

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

13 hours ago, Michel Bénard said:

Very nice and with this engine, no pollution !! 😄

Correct and thanks Michel,

no pollution, good idea, perhaps I can claim a technical Nobel prize for that   :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

16 hours ago, wefalck said:

and, if it had been asbestos,

Eberhard,

Correct should have said fire retardant material.:unsure:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

beginning the port side deck edge....

Nils

DSCI7750.thumb.JPG.5f002dc9a525028457362a2ae84f481b.JPG

the brass strips (0,6 x 3 mm) are fastened to the short side deck beams with pins, before they are securely glued in

DSCI7751.thumb.JPG.6540fea766f4d5a703c564ec8a50f3c6.JPG

the side beams will be trimmed off  on the inward side to the working cockpit later on

DSCI7748.thumb.JPG.5e57b4a1415812afe3e4566b3113a95a.JPG

a "footrail"  will be fastened to the brass stips

DSCI7749.thumb.JPG.b350aa95f5e174300502337533dd18f5.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils.

Cutting the shape of the frames must be very difficult as there are three angles to consider.

You are building it like the Vikings built their ships...ie planked then framed.

It all makes good sense and it is incredible that they hit on the idea all those years ago.

It is looking great!!.....don't stop!!!

Pete

Good morning Pete and thanks for your kind comment,

I always admired model builders who were able to fit contoured frames into a clinkered hull ( built over a plug or a preliminary skeleton)

this now is my first clinkered hull, and also planked with pear planks, so I`m experiencing and learning, hopefully to get it done as I aimed for..... The best result I achieved was like shown in my post # 95

I`m still hesitating a bit with the resembling of the horizontal rows of plank connecting,pins, nails, dowels, etc. because I fear, that if they do`nt get absolutely aligned, near to the plank edges, it would not look neat and perhaps could spoil the look above the waterline.  The actual Zeesboot planks had glued-in wooden plugs over the connectors, that were sanded flush after setting....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Good morning Kees,

Thanks very much for your nice comment.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

23 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

Good morning Pete and thanks for your kind comment,

I always admired model builders who were able to fit contoured frames into a clinkered hull ( built over a plug or a preliminary skeleton)

this now is my first clinkered hull, and also planked with pear planks, so I`m experiencing and learning, hopefully to get it done as I aimed for..... The best result I achieved was like shown in my post # 95

I`m still hesitating a bit with the resembling of the horizontal rows of plank connecting,pins, nails, dowels, etc. because I fear, that if they do`nt get absolutely aligned, near to the plank edges, it would not look neat and perhaps could spoil the look above the waterline.  The actual Zeesboot planks had glued-in wooden plugs over the connectors, that were sanded flush after setting....

Nils

To my basic mind Nils 

The vikings had it right!!!

Build the ship ( planks ) to the natural contours of the bent clinker planks and then fit the frames.

It must surely make for a gradual curve.

I have always held the plank on frames or plank on bulkheads with a sceptical mind as it can  and often requires tedious adjustment.

The way the vikings did it, there was no mistake.

It was a perfect line.

That's my take on it.

Onwards dear friend.

Pete

Thank you very much Pete,

You are right with the thoughts about the natural curve of planks. The moment when the bow and the stern area is "fuller and rounder" in shape, there definately would be more adjustment to be made especialy to the clinkered planks....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Detail, fastening of footrailing holders....

the brass holders  ( flat 0,6 x 3mm ) are fastened to the side deck beams with pins and CA before these are permanently glued into the hull...

Nils

DSCI7752.thumb.JPG.c7c06916e19f6a4a060ac4517a7f060a.JPG

the pins get shortend

DSCI7753.thumb.JPG.556395fc66977deb43cb186e55c5633f.JPG

pins and CA give a strong hold

DSCI7754.thumb.JPG.af22b8d1efd983f0d5f598d58eef6eaf.JPG

DSCI7755.thumb.JPG.6bd7cd6c9e3e61aef789ecf2eaa18660.JPG

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I keep returning to this blog because I like this little boat so much.

In fact...I would like to build one myself.

Fortunately, Nils will have done a complete build log to help me along.

I cannot start right away  because Bluenose soaks all my time but I can make preparations.

Nils, how long is your model?

Are there any books about them?

Pictures of interior etc etc and where would I obtain the plans please?

I will not be so cheeky as to do a build log on it as this is your boat.

It is just that it is screaming at me now.

Pete

Good morning Pete,

I shall be very pleased to see another Zeesboot to be laid on Keel here at MSW, and shall be pleased to help you in this evaluation period.....,

now to your questions...

Cheers, Nils

Model dimensions:

The model in scale 1:24 is 495 mm long between the posts, will be appr. 750 , mm aver all (bow- and aft spars)

Mainmasthight appr. 490 mm

Beam 155 mm

There are several books available, two of them I am using, and can recommend they are :

-Zeesboote Segler durch die Zeiten, by Hermann Winkler

- Erlebniswelt Zeesenboote, by Timm,Stütz

DSCI7756.thumb.JPG.3f8dfb7ea9b80ec88e66b3814e62adbb.JPG

this one also contains the overview plan I am basicly using, as well as the overview from the web, both motorized, one with fish containment boxes placed left/right of the centerboard

DSCI7365.thumb.JPG.9b636f5e4a52a50671a4a230d45cfffa.JPG

1498876772_Abb.160_Plan_Zeesboot.jpg.fe00d795a9a76a5a0ae0de497abdf81a(1).jpg.7b88533c3651710ed5c6a5dc73a20d4e.jpg

DSCI7757.thumb.JPG.9e0abc275ed9d290ce15cd15f339fb31.JPG

938783687_kdIMG_4239(1).jpg.ee60c9406c90387fb6f72ef4e1144e82.jpg

if I`m not mistaken this build is from the web page :  https://www.modelships.de/Zeesenboot/Zeesenboot_dt.htm

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Wettringer Modelbau Forum.

Nils.

I have just looked up the above and there is a modeller there called Mathias that is in the completion stages of a Zeesboot.

He has been at it for four years.

He is exceptional. Absolute master.

Good heavens . Meine gute!!!

This guy is meticulous.

He does not miss a bolt!!!

I have never seen anything like it.

It is one for a museum.

Anyway thank you for answering my questions.

I will get both books.

Luckily I understand German.

I have googled Zeesboot motoren but nothing came up.

Will you also have brown sails?

Will you make a three legged stove for the cabin?

That will be fun.

Pete

Hi Pete,

looks like you caught fire !

I support your comments about Mathias`s incredible Zeesboot, (on the Wettringer Forum), the other models or kits on the web did neighter increase my blood pressure nor inspiration, when I was in search during the preparation phase...

Yes, stove and brown sails will be fitted to my boot.

Perhaps the tuc engines of this link my be of help for you..  

https://www.google.de/search?q=motor+für+tuckerboot&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CZvm-n2O-5dKIjjbCOifzC0BAlN6qR5gvc4yYiY_1XGOB9zG2kcw8pLPYyn3bVL7fLsQ2os2dtNzkpTZVDm5xPZ8dRyoSCdsI6J_1MLQECESTtdxsp8H9OKhIJU3qpHmC9zjIRlv77B3HXNLAqEgliJj9cY4H3MRHVP81PFIN6gSoSCbaRzDyks9jKEWcdG2mlO89IKhIJfdtUvt8uxDYR6KaW5244AmgqEgmizZ203OSlNhFYVrV6xZvZNSoSCVUObnE9nx1HEZ31TLmYJgbC&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjKvtKr2fPiAhUPLewKHdYkDKAQ9C96BAgBEBg&biw=2133&bih=1022&dpr=0.9

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Ha ha yes I am on fire!

I am enthused but everything in slow time.

In between Blue Nose  I may start the odd thing like...ahem....the engine!!!

But I need to do some research first with the books.

Do you know if there was a " preference " to a certain make of motor used.

I have seen a few you tubes of old boats fitted with a Swedish Wickhølm?.

Lovely sounding tuc tuc !

And yes the kit does not do a deal for me.

I think 1:24 is a good scale giving a nice size of model.

I can also choose my materials whereas with a kit that's it!

I do not know what Mathias was using for wood but you could not see a tool mark or glue stain anywhere.

In Australia we are limited to what grows here.

Gum tree is nice but too blimmen hard to work.

Thank you for the tucker motor links.

Pete

Pete

Good morning Pete,

Motor preference, certain make ? Actualy no, the engine I chose was a free chosen fictive engine that would comprise motor housing, gear- and clutch housing, cylinder, shaft, flywheel, front bearing shield, water pump, oil dip stick, starter, generator, mounting brackets, V-belts,cooling- and exhaust tubes, clutchlever and propshaft coupling. I know that some essentual devices will still be missing, such as tank, gasoil injection unit, ignition box, glow plug, etc....

Some time ago I saw a Zeesboat plan being offered at Ebay, It could perhaps be worth searching there or in the web (Google) from time to time.

Mathias was using pear wood for planking, and yes, same as you did, I was amazed that neither glue stains nor toolmarks were to be seen there, he is a genius (what a skilled work !! )

What spooks aroung in my mind is, how can I achieve the old fishing workboat character, seeing all the newdays leisure Zeesboot craft.  Example the wonderful deck Mathias built would probably be too fine for the fishermens muddy and scratchy boots and scraping network and fishing equipment ....

I must admit that a strong criteria for me is also ( in lack of carving or clay modeing skills), to choose the scale for the boat due to the scale-true crew figurines. Here I found two figures from make "Pola" which are  actualy forseen as driver and stoker ( now converted to fishermen father & son) on scale "G" steam locomotives scale 1: 25 resp. 1:24

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils.

I note what you have written about your motor.

Therefore I can do the same and not be too concerned about a faithful replica.

At the end of the day if it looks the part it is the part.

If you could possibly get all those extra items in it will surely add to the realism especially the fuel tank.

It only has to be a small cylindrical one held fast with two nice shiny brass straps?

Nice brass fuel cap?

Gauges will be easy.

Cut it out from a photo from a magazine and stick it on to a slice of dwelling.

I hear what you are saying re trying to find an existing prototype in its fishing mode.

Trouble is, if it's anything like the UK , the fishermen are not allowed to earn a living anymore.

I think this is a global nonsense.

So few fishing boats to be see.

Personally and this is only my view,....

I think it would be a shame to dirty your model up into a weathered specimen.

Dont forget at one time it was a new fishing boat...its just that you have built it.

You can still have all the nets, fish, etc etc.

It will still be a charming model.

I am following closely to see what you do next.

Pete