Zeesboot by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:24 - wooden fishing vessel c. 1876 - small

Thank you very much for your kind words Pete,

I see were walking down the same lane, your suggestions for fuel tank, brass filling cap, shiny straps etc, many thanks I`ll see what I can do about it. I was also thinking of placing a steelbarrel with Shell / Mobil Oil,. or so... enblem on it aft, next to the motor. My wife suggested there should be some blue/white checkered pillow cases for the berths of the cabin

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I am glad you are thinking on the same lines Nils.

You could actually make a nice brass gauge out of a cheese headed brass machine screw soldered to the back of a brass washer being the back plate for the gauge and having a slightly larger diameter.

After polishing it up then varnish it to stop it oxidizing and going dull.

Mobil oil can and sticker is also an excellent idea.

If wifey wants blue chequered pillow cases then make sure you do that first!!!

Captain Cook proved that crew comforts and good diet were paramount to success. ( so dont forget the stove)

She will make an excellent commander! 

I think I am just as enthused as you and it's not even my model.

Pete

transfering the waterline to the model, and beginning to put wooden (Bamboo toothpicks) into the horizontal, overlapping clinker planks. I did`nt do this before, so its a jump into the cold water.

I did my best to get the 1 mm toothpick holes in alignment, starting with the upper stb. plank. Check of the outcome will follow tomorrow, when the toothpicks are trimmed off and the plank sanded over.

Nils

DSCI7758.thumb.JPG.2b11336fc87dceb7bb111f46d9f8653d.JPG

the little jig for marking the waterline

DSCI7759.thumb.JPG.4f6b7b74a2b21fc3b15255205d7c35e9.JPG

thin bamboo toothpicks

DSCI7760.thumb.JPG.836352446ef65a7c2999e32d6c54f3fe.JPG

a trial with 1 mm holes in the planks (Chose this one)

DSCI7761.thumb.JPG.f5c71d1d9fef05853a790664f0b4cd24.JPG

trial 1,5 mm holes ( found them too large)

DSCI7762.thumb.JPG.365c31c3d94ebdb5f7df234806d844d6.JPG

DSCI7762.thumb.JPG.365c31c3d94ebdb5f7df234806d844d6.JPG

picks glued in lightly with CA

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

1 hour ago, Peter Cane said:

You did not tell us it was to be Viking powered as well Nils!!...but the oars are a bit short?

Pete

You`re right Pete,

thats why I cut then all off...... :)

Ì`m really pleased with the outcome of the wooden plugs, got all in nice row alignment. The lighter wood color of the picks is a good contrast to the pear planks

Now all the others can be done in the same way..

Nils

DSCI7763.thumb.JPG.43123c8cd635bf5bb0302707882ed08e.JPG

DSCI7764.thumb.JPG.e43d07db4a9a424cf62633c1d49e6369.JPG

DSCI7765.thumb.JPG.cc81f678101f04b2c54de1f248251aa1.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Many thanks for Geert, and for all that clicked the "likes button"...

Geert.

yes, I`m also happy with the effect, trust it will look fine above the waterline. (varnished natural wood).  At the waterline there will probably be a horizontal white stripe and below that either green or red "anti fouling" coating, I doubt if the plugs in that area will show through the paint, but we shall see later on.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

still doing the the hull plank connectors, had to take her off the stand plate for doing the last 3 planks on each side, it works quite well...

Nils

DSCI7770.thumb.JPG.d95fc52d8aff3bf2f476c70f2e962351.JPG

DSCI7771.thumb.JPG.cb17255f8d583a6120f11d5b8910f172.JPG

DSCI7767.thumb.JPG.5dbcc39e83fb6572405d3348223cfe17.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

many thanks Pete,

Have one side done with the plugs, 3 planks left on the portrside. Trust I`ve never drilled so many holes before.

First mark the positions, make a small centering point. drill 0,6 mm. enlarge to 1 mm, place the toothpicks and dip the pointed end in CA before, chisel off the overstanding pics, file and sand flush. I guess that all who did a good looking treenailing on the hulls and decks experienced the same exercise, for me it was new .....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

2 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

many thanks Pete,

Have one side done with the plugs, 3 planks left on the portrside. Trust I`ve never drilled so many holes before.

First mark the positions, make a small centering point. drill 0,6 mm. enlarge to 1 mm, place the toothpicks and dip the pointed end in CA before, chisel off the overstanding pics, file and sand flush. I guess that all who did a good looking treenailing on the hulls and decks experienced the same exercise, for me it was new .....

Nils

Ha ha.

You are lucky...

I read that one modeller ( Mathias ) made all his tree nails and of course drilled all their holes.

All three thousand two hundred of them!!!.

Ahhhhhh!.

Pete

Hello Nils.

I am not clear on which book contains the drawings?

Did you make up your plans by the use of the drawings in the book?

There seems to be a 5 set Bauplan in 1:20 scale kicking around but I cannot source it anywhere.

From what I have seen of it, it is very detailed.

I have a hunch Matthias might have drawn them.

However if I can get by by using the drawings in the book then fine. I cannot work to museum standards but my mind tries to tease me that I can....wish I could though.

We dont know unless we try.

It all comes down to absolute patience and how far we want to take it.

Many thanks in anticipation.

I am glued to your build.

Pete

Good morning Pete,

the "drawings" I used are : (please ref to my post #208)

from the book Herman Winkler on page 53

and the drawing from the web, beneath the forstanding drawing, (my post #208)

lines and frame plan are taken from Hermann Winklers book, page 53, of course there are quite a lot of details to be done in typical scratch build mode, but if you wish you would have my build log for comparism, or whatever you feel is worth adopting from the web`s free information..... For example I wanted the fish containments, the engine, the berths, the swivible centerboard, the engine cover, a minimum of furniture in the cabin, the oven, the ballast stones, the bilge pump, 2 scaled crew figures, the faked hatch covers to the bilge area, the horizontal plank connectors, ...etc...., and whatever is still to come...

For rigging and sails later on there is enough information on the web and in the books mentioned above.

I do`nt know what plan Mathias is using, guess he mentioned it somewhere, it must be very detailed, and I also did`nt find the source, but it is not needed....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I started my luck in painting the white waterline stripe. I know its a tricky task on the clinkered Hull, whos done it before will know what I mean. If viewing from horizontal waterline level the stripe will be straight, if at an angle the white paint line on the strakes will be more or less a bit "zick zack" on the steps. Next will be to mask off the white line with Tamiya tape and get the underwater red or green coat (resembling the antiouling)

Nils

DSCI7772.thumb.JPG.990f566b655f80a2d01d8817a2c6f46d.JPG

DSCI7773.thumb.JPG.01fca6fffd53af05f13e18f5ce9e71c5.JPG

DSCI7774.thumb.JPG.e5877acde8683de2a5dd2ed193538c8a.JPG

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Geert,

is your gaff day boat sailor also going to be clinkered ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

catching up on your project Niles was so much fun!  :)   amazing the amount of progress you've made........and so much detail too.  the engine looks fantastic....very well done,  and the hatches in the deck looks as though they were laser cut...........very nice!   superb job thus far  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Denis,

thank you so much for your appreciative words, I`m very pleased that you like it...

The credit for the hatches ( for bilge access) goes to Wefalck , he gave the idea to do them at all, I did the how to do....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Dirk,

Thank you very much for posting this link, the pics are only for members though, I saw the fantastic model by a member, (Victory 78 ), of a different German forum, in the preparation phase, before I started mine, and at  latest then, was amoung other reasons totally encouraged to build this boatstype myself....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

gasoil storage drum (handpump still to come), and anti fouling coating....

Directly attached over the engine or at its side there will be smaller fuel day-tank, not yet shown here...

Nils

DSCI7775.thumb.JPG.d16f9c16b9a33e143a51ea0c2cc490d3.JPG

20 mm round dowel, 3 mm brass bandages, two stand supports, enblem printed on photo paper

DSCI7776.thumb.JPG.70ce7a89e1edee4a7b135c68aa61b3b2.JPG

DSCI7778.thumb.JPG.45b918508b5c7ecb9883b5cfe2babf8e.JPG

I chose red antifouling, dull silk appearence

DSCI7779.thumb.JPG.86b5f65d6be797ddee895caf0ed83708.JPG

DSCI7777.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thank you Pete,

this weekend my wife and I are attending the necessary garden works, which I have been postponing for far too long...., also I have been running out of excuses, too hot, too windy, too wet, aching back, etc.  Now, that the weather is just right, I have done the basic cut to all the hedges in different hights and thereby saved o lot of money that would have gone to a gardener crew instead..., We have a large number of big green sacks filled with hedge cut and other garden greencut standing under our carport, waiting to be transported to the garden waste yard, see if someone would lend me his trailor in the coming week...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils.

I completely understand that " living " is also relatively important.

However your boat modelling is so interesting and of great entertainment value.

I think somewhere along the line we are all blessed with divergences but variety is the spice of life.

Hold fast dear Nils!!

You will be back and I am waiting to see what you do next.

Pete

I did the same Nils..........took care of the lawn stuff last week ;)   I'm on vacation this week........and to be bothered with those chores was something I wasn't going to let get in the way of a good time!   I'm sure that the admiral is a happy camper right about now :D   

yes Pete.......my admiral also thinks my modeling is good.........I'm poop though if I don't take out the trash!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looking very good indeed Nils!  I was wondering who the giant hand belonged to 🙂  You've really achieved a true scale look, the close ups could be the real thing.  I'm sure the clinker painting is a challenge but turned out very well indeed, I'm sure it causes similar challenges at full scale.  Oh, and love all the detailing, very much enjoy following along.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thank you very much Jason, much appreciated,

I built in the fuel day-tank with removable cap and chain under the engine bonnet. For the main storage tank, also installed on board, (drum) there is now a hand fuel pump, a hose and a discharge nozzle for filling the day tank

Nils

DSCI7780.thumb.JPG.e182402f383a325673e8fc5aa4bc24b1.JPG

the hose is a bit stiff, see if I can get one more flexible

DSCI7781.thumb.JPG.98cd5013572f6fc3ec09f50fb925a51e.JPG

DSCI7782.thumb.JPG.a96d6b5b2ed62be21940f4c7e4baf376.JPG

day fuel tank fixed to the upper, inner front side of the bonnet

DSCI7783.thumb.JPG.0069fa82478bb819dccf67129f69105a.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Not sure, a clear PVC-hose would be contemporary. A black or red rubber-hose might be more appropriate. One can nicely simulate such hoses with soldering tin-wire. It can be painted or blackened with a suitable blackening agent.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Many thanks Eberhard,

I agree, PVC is not suitable here, so eyes open for  rubber or silicone, and the idea with the soldering tin-wire is a good alternative

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed