Caldercraft Choices

I am brand new to this site and to ship kit building.  After some browsing, I became interested in Caldercraft kits.  When I went to their website, I was surprised to find that they have only about 20 models.  Is that correct?  I expected a much larger choice.  Thank you,

That's true if you are considering only their line of sailing ship kits. There are also non-sailing vessels sold under that name. Most of Caldercraft's kits were designed by Chris Watton, who is a member of this forum. Quite a while back, he took a position with Amati, where he designed their Victory Models series of kits. So if the Caldercraft/Nelson's Navy kits appeal to you, be sure to check out the Victory Models kits.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 1 month later...

I think they have quite many, but what surprise me was that they just stopped with the Nelson's Navy series. They released alot of New vessels regurlarly but then there where nothing. The Jotika webpage also freezed.  Old Project ideas are still there.

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

Just noticed a new post to this topic..

Just curious..

I'm wondering how a selection of only 20 kits is a problem for a first time builder?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

His dismay may be in the lack of scale diversity. Twenty kits allows a nice selection to choose from. However, virtually all of the kits are in 1/64 scale? Why not some 1/48 scale products? Since they haven't offered any new kits in years, I doubt that we'll see any 1/48 scale kits in the near future. Very disappointing.

bob

Personally,  I prefer to build everything in the same scale. I will probably stick with 1:64 now. To me it will takes tens of years before i run out of Cadercraft ships to do. So far they kind of have lots for everyone in the Nelson series:

100 guns, Victory

64 guns, Agememnon

38 guns, Diana

about 20 guns, Snake, Crusier, Mars, Jauluse

Bombvessels 

lots of smaller ships

What is missing from this lineup besides a 1:64 Victory ;-)?

Something that would be interesting would to add additional kits where you could turn your kit into a similar "sister ship". I am sure that with small changes you could actually build another as we seen various example of in this forum. 

Edited by Vane

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

The reason why I endorse 1/48 scale products is the creative ability to effect greater detail subjectivity in the kit through research. The larger scale allows greater detail. Of course, with the detriment for some builders of greater size. I have yet to see great detail in 1/64 scale products versus, for example, the 1/48 scale cutter cheerful by chuck passaro as an example. I would rather see a reversion to 1/48 scale as in the old admarilty models of old rather than 1/64 scale products simply because of size and price. I also am an advocate of building in one or two scales as a matter of choice for multiple reasons. My respects to all.

bob

Being able to 1:48 would be great but for room to display them.  A lot of us do 1:64 as it's a good compromise.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Its not the just the size, its the cost of the kits as well. Basically everything with more than 20 guns would be difficult to sell if they came in 1:48. Most are not even in 1:64.

For smaller ships i could agree with the argument though

A model around 50 to 100cm is easy to put on display. Ships over 150cm will be really difficult to fit anywhere in a house. Also remember it will increase in width... 

1 hour ago, Vane said:

A model around 50 to 100cm is easy to put on display.

That's debatable. My small house is running extremely short of 50-100 cm potential display spaces -- at least ones that the Admiral would be okay with.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Actually if you dont mind the look of an admiralty style model or just a planked hull model, 1:48 is my scale choice.   The low but long cases are not an issue to display.  Having at least one in your collection is a must in my opinion.  The experience of building a larger frigate is something I think everyone should consider at least once.  I used to think the same thing actually but now that I have started on one, the build experience is far more enjoyable.  

I am fortunate to have started a 32 gun frigate in 1:64 many years ago and it is incomplete.  But I have just restarted the project in a larger 1"48 scale.  The build experience is very different and much more enjoyable when I compare the two.  Looking back at the smaller version I wonder why I even attempted building it....it makes for a much more tedious and frustrating experience.  Although I know a few people who are building frigates in 1:96 scale.  I dont think I would enjoy that building process at all.  But yes, displaying it would be easier.  If I knew that I was going to spend possibly years building something, I would want to enjoy the process with as little frustration from the small parts as possible.  I would rather think about solutions for their eventual display rather than suffer through two years of building something tiny.  Maybe thin the heard a bit to make room for the larger model.  Also, your skills probably improved over time and culling out your earlier models built to a lesser degree of craftsmanship is something I dont mind doing.