Record Power - any experience with their power tools?

Hi All,

I'm choosing a scroll saw, and the one by Record Power on Amazon seems attractive:

Record Power SS16V Scroll Saw 16-inch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001OXBZE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6AZZCbQEDMR6A

The reviews are good generally, but has anyone had any experience with the make? It seems like they are a long-standing British manufacturer of shop tools... But then again, the name sounds exactly like some Chinese knock-off would. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I don't have a model ship building problem. I can stop any time I want. Let me just build this another one, and then I'll stop, I promise. 

Completed: AL Endeavour longboat, AL Virginia Schooner, OcCre Dos Amigos.

In progress: BB Cutty Sark.

I believe that these are probably Chinese.  They are sold all around the world under different badges. Even Ryobi sell what looks like exactly the same saw.  I own one which I bought some time ago for A$80.  It is OK for basic curve cutting but not very precise compared to a quality band saw It has no fence so straight cuts are difficult.  You get what you pay for.

John

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

Hi RPaul;

Record tools, based in Sheffield, was (I don't know what they are now) one of the premier English tool companies, who made a range of woodworking tools regarded as the finest by many craftsmen, who paid significant amounts of money to purchase a Record plane or vice. Who owns the company now, or where their products are made, I don't know either. A search on the internet will show something, I would think.

I believe that they have links with Irwin Tools, which is also marketed as a reputable brand (they are expensive, certainly) 

I once had a Record Power bandsaw, which certainly did all I wanted it to do, and performed well for several years. I sold it when I had to downsize, so I no longer have it; a matter of not infrequent regret.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Paul,

I have just received a catalogue from Record Power.  They seem to have evolved from the original Sheffield based company which I know as a manufacturer of hand tools.  They claim a 100 year history. Their hand tools were OK but not a patch on a company such as Veritas.  Record Power seems to market only power tools .  Their Scroll Saw looks identical to mine which is called a 909 Scroll Saw,  However, Record Power say that theirs is made in Germany so perhaps mine is a Chinese copy of the Record one!!.  Out here it sells for 3 X the price I paid so perhaps it is of better quality.

John

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

I d also look at Proxon , purpose built for modelling and excellent customer care. But this looks ok, it will certainly serve you well and it is very cheap. No doubt a generic rebranded saw made in China. The large gaps near the blade might be a bit of a problem, maybe you ll need to make a new insert.

I ve used my scroll saw heavily since bought and it is permanently on my bench.

Quality wise I have a Record air filter that is great.