Rolls Royce Merlin Engine for Spitfire by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Alin Osarik design - 1/33 scale - Card

Really nice work. I only realized, you used two pieces if card stock glued to your work top as a jig to hold oil pan together... note to myself...

Edited by maaaslo

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

Thanks Pav. The card is actually held down with very thin double-sided tape, not glued.

The rocker covers :

IMG_5813.JPG

IMG_5818.JPG

There were no exhaust pipes with the kit so I printed out the ones from the Spitfire. These took me two days to make, but I'm very happy with the way they turned out :) :

IMG_5814.JPG

IMG_5815.JPG

IMG_5817.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

1 hour ago, druxey said:

Those exhausts are quite amazing.

I agree. Is that considered scratch building in the card kit world?

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, druxey said:

You are one crazy card constructor, Dan! Those exhausts are quite amazing.

Yeah. Fun though:D .

19 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I agree. Is that considered scratch building in the card kit world?

I guess it must be :D .

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Lots of small bits to make now. Here are some examples.

Rocker Covers :

IMG_5818.JPG

18 parts in this valve :

IMG_5819.JPG

IMG_5820.JPG

IMG_5821.JPG

Starter Motor :

IMG_5822.JPG

Injector Manifold :

IMG_5823.JPG

Compressor :

IMG_5824.JPG

Oil Pump? :

IMG_5825.JPG

A tricky part to cut, fold and glue :

IMG_5826.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

All parts fitted to engine and piping started. I'll do all the piping, plug leads etc needed on the engine before fitting it to the framing :

IMG_5827.JPG

IMG_5828.JPG

IMG_5829.JPG

IMG_5831.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

fantastic job on the engine.......amazing how small the parts are!  well done!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The piping and wiring is all done :

IMG_5832.JPG

IMG_5833.JPG

IMG_5834.JPG

This drive chain wasn't east to cut. The chain is only 0.3mm wide and it's also double thickness :

IMG_5835.JPG

Now it's time to fit the engine into the framework. This will be a real test of my accuracy - there's absolutely NO room for error. Here's the result :

IMG_5836.JPG

IMG_5837.JPG

IMG_5838.JPGDanny

Cheers, Danny

Stunning work Danny....... I'm a retired Jag mechanic,so I have had a long love/hate relationship with V12's.  I used to go to the Reno air races and there is nothing like the sound of a Merlin hammering full throttle overhead.

wwow.........looks really great Danny!  without a doubt....a feat of engineering  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

40 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

wwow.........looks really great Danny!  without a doubt....a feat of engineering  ;) 

Thanks Popeye. If you think my model looks good check out this pic of a restored real engine :

Restored Merlin.jpg

Danny

Cheers, Danny

18 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

check out this pic

But thy didn't have to make all the parts from scratch!

20 hours ago, JohnB40 said:

nothing like the sound of a Merlin hammering full throttle overhead.

I used to live withing a mile or so of the Reno,(Stead) airfield and every year we would get a couple of weeks of the Spitfires and Mustangs along with all the other assorted planes flying over the top of the house pretty much at all time of the day, either singly or in groups. Some people would even set chairs on their roofs and have parties. On a couple of years I even got lucky and was assigned to the races and had the time of my life! All while getting paid! The only short coming was that once I was offered a ride on the B-17 but I had to turn it down because I was on duty! :( That hurt! 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

She is looking superb  (Card masterpiece at its best)     my late farther used to work on these  being an ERK  working on airframes and engines  from 1943 - 1946.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thank you all. This model is now finished, here are the final pics including the lower tank and some skin bracing.

Here are the parts for the bracing - lots of careful cutting. I cut one side of each piece first, applied a little CA glue and then cut the other side. This prevented the piece from distorting as some of them were only 0.3mm wide and were very difficult to cut :

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5840.JPG

Here are the finished pics :

IMG_5841.JPG

IMG_5842.JPG

IMG_5843.JPG

IMG_5844.JPG

IMG_5845.JPG

IMG_5846.JPG

IMG_5847.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

very delicate.........amazing in the way you kept the shape!   the nose ring is a perfect circle  ;)   awesomely done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks fantastic 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat