Rolls Royce Merlin Engine for Spitfire by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Alin Osarik design - 1/33 scale - Card

Hi all,

Here's a tricky build. It's a 1/33 scale attempt at a Rolls Royce Merlin engine to be displayed as a "stand-alone" model next to the Mk. IX Spitfire I built. It's a design by Alin Osarik and a downloadable copy of it can only be found on THIS SITE.

As far as I'm aware no-one has successfully managed to build one at this small a scale, and no wonder - some of the parts are TINY :D . All other builds I have seen have been blown up to 1/16 scale. But I'll have a go :D .

Here's a pic of the parts. They come on one page, but there are a further 34 pages of step-by-step rendered photo instructions :

IMG_5780.JPG

One example of the size of the parts :

IMG_5781.JPG

And this is what I've done so far. This is the start of the engine compartment framework that supports the engine. It's been designed to fit inside the Halinski Card Spitfire, which may be a future build for me as I have a 2nd model Spitfire that came with the original kit that I've already built.

IMG_5782.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

is the other spitfire the same scale as the engine?  are you planning to install it?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Kowabonga, those are some teeny parts. I'll join Druxey in the balcony and bring my binoculars.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

9 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

As far as I'm aware no-one has successfully managed to build one at this small a scale, and no wonder - some of the parts are TINY...

well, I might ruin your day...

http://www.papirove-modely.cz/galerie/418

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

ooooooh , permission to follow Dan?

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

2 hours ago, pontiachedmark said:

Gidday Danny.

I'm coming along for the ride.

My failing eyes preclude me from building anything on this scale.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours,

Mark.

I dont think its to do with scale. Its to do with the actual size of the model... 

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

7 hours ago, maaaslo said:

well, I might ruin your day...

http://www.papirove-modely.cz/galerie/418

No Pav, it didn't :D . Thanks for the link, but it's not actually the same one that I've downloaded even though it appears to be the same model engine and at 1/33 scale. That one looks like a scratchbuild, and a well done one at that. Just a pity that there weren't more pics.

And a welcome to all you guys as well :) .

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

1 minute ago, Dan Vadas said:

No Pav, it didn't :D . Thanks for the link, but it's not actually the same one that I've downloaded even though it appears to be the same model engine and at 1/33 scale. That one looks like a scratchbuild, and a well done one at that.

Danny

no Danny. those are Alin's engines... no scratch. Bernie is in a class of his own. same as Doris, he is well known for his mastery. maybe not in the Oz, but in Central Europe his name means quality work...

15 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

is the other spitfire the same scale as the engine?  are you planning to install it?

Yes it is Popeye. If I build the 2nd Spitfire I'll build another engine as well and install it. However it might be a while coming, as I already have the next kit to follow after this build. More details on that one will be coming when I finish this one :) .

Danny

Cheers, Danny

A welcome to all that are following this build :) . I hope I can do it justice.

I reverse-printed a sheet of parts and laminated a backing piece to the firewall and side frame pieces. The firewall piece is not strictly accurate, but it's better than a simple white face. Cutting the holes out of the framing sections took a lot of care :

IMG_5784.JPG

IMG_5783.JPG

Next I detailed the firewall. The back side :

IMG_5789.JPG

And the front. I used 0.2mm soft brass wire for the tubing :

IMG_5788.JPGIMG_5794.JPG

Some of the bracing for the framework was really tiny. These pieces are only 0.4mm wide at the narrow points :

IMG_5786.JPG

IMG_5787.JPG

Gussets added :

IMG_5790.JPG

IMG_5791.JPG

IMG_5792.JPG

IMG_5793.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

After gluing the framing to the bulkead I painted all the brass and touched up the edges using Acrylic mixed on a pallette :

IMG_5795.JPG

IMG_5796.JPG

IMG_5797.JPG

IMG_5798.JPG

IMG_5799.JPG

IMG_5800.JPG

I almost forgot two lines. I'll touch them up next time I mix up this colour, as well as any small bits I missed. That will finish the framing part of the build. Here's a pic for size reference :

IMG_5802.JPG

Next up I start the engine itself.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Just Wow!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

4 hours ago, CDW said:

The color of the paper parts is outstanding. Are the parts printed on a home printer or in a print shop?

Both, and there's no noticeable difference. I made a spare on my home printer.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Amazing work, Danny.  We don't (or at least I didn't) realize how tiny that is until you had it in your hand.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The cool thing about the Merlin is how much more efficient it was than its German contemporaries. It only displaced ~27 liters, whereas the DB 601 was ~34 liters, DB603 ~45 liters, the DB 605 ~38 and the Jumo 213 ~ 35 liters. All of them weighed considerably more than the Merlin and in most cases were still at a slight HP disadvantage at most points in the war.

Good luck Danny, looks like you will need it :)

WOW, my eyes hurt just thinking about it

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

14 hours ago, CDW said:

Which model of home printer are you using Danny? Factory ink I presume?

Epson XP-520 with cheap aftermarket ink :) .

8 hours ago, amateur said:

That is small.....

what is the thickness of cardstock you use? 

0.25mm Ultra Premium Matte Photo paper for the printed parts, the same for single laminations and up to 0.5mm and 1.0mm for thicker laminations depending on the part.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

look'in awesome ........the size is even more amazing!   very well done on the tubing........that looks great too ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you for all the comments and "Likes" :) .

The first part of the engine in the instructions is the Supercharger. I've nearly completed it below :

IMG_5803.JPG

These parts took me a while to cut. So far I've come across four similar ones, all turned out fine with no accidents despite some of them being only 0.35mm wide :

IMG_5804.JPG

IMG_5805.JPG  

The supercharger finished :

IMG_5806.JPG

IMG_5807.JPG

I reinforced the engine block with some 0.5mm card :

IMG_5808.JPG

Another tricky piece :

IMG_5809.JPG

The cylinder heads took quite a bit of work due to the "bumps" on the sides :

IMG_5810.JPG

The oil pan :

IMG_5811.JPG

IMG_5812.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny