HMS Victory by mort stoll - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1/72

hi guys and gals,

after many many to many years of following i have decided to post a build log. i bought this kit in 2006 along with the snake and diana.  i finished the diana last fall and started the victory in march after completing the duke william. to date i have lower gundeck, dummy barrel strips, stem, keelson and frames attached to the keel.  i am working on beveling bow and stern frames.  

as soon as i figure out how to post some pictures i will and once i do please feel free to comment on any and everything you wish.

thanks,

mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

did a little work tonight. faired and beviled the hull frames and made a template for the the port side floor of capt. hardy's day cabin which i hope to be able to display along with the port half of his dining cabin and the masters cabin.

mort

Edited by mort stoll

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

thank you robert . i have been following your build since day 1. it's been a great resource.

did more fairing and started planking the middle gun deck, - 5 butt method- am using maple planks as i did on the diana i prefer maple the caldercraft supplied tanganika.

will post pictures as soon as i can. if any one wants to see progress feel free to send me a pm with your email and i will be happy to oblige. hopefully my son or my brother in law can show me the way.

mort

Edited by mort stoll

hi, i have a question to other victory modelers. how much of the middle gun deck is visible once the upper gun deck and quarter deck are in place? i am asking because i am planking the middle gun deck and i noticed in the aos victory that within the planked area there deck is furniture - hatches, a capsan, etc. - and i am wondering if i should add that to the model even though caldercraft does not.

thanks,

mort 

Greetings Mort

Cannot see you needing much advice on your build, with all the encouragement and advice you have given to other builders over the years. Good luck with your build. I reckon you will have more than a few followers. The only advice I can give you is the usual, Take your time and enjoy it.  Best regards DAVID

thank you for your kind words my friend and your build logs - which I have followed from day 1. you are the best my friend, the best.

mort  

• 2 weeks later...

since last post - no photos yet sorry - have completed planking middle gun deck - have to sand and varnish it- and have glued #270 - top gun port patterns - on both sides - thanks to glenard and roberts helpful posts. am also gluing battens - thank you glenard - around gun ports on middle #271 and lower patterns #272.

mort

• 4 weeks later...

middle gun port patterns are glued in place, i have glued gun port battens to both sides of lower gun ports. just have to check alignments and glue them in place - not as easy as it sounds. i have also made and glued the 2 side entry doors in place - thank you dominick - i think longridge mentions them also. the aos shows and longridge mentions that there was a small grate by the entrance doors which i have also made and will attach. the victory owners manual and the aos show a rectangular base which i will install beneath the mast collars at the main mast.

since i can't figure out how much of the middle gun deck will be visible i will build the main and aft hatch gratings on the middle gun deck and perhaps the companionways both fore and aft of the main mast. 

hope everyone had a great day,

mort   

• 5 weeks later...

The Caldercraft Victory is by far the best I have seen photos of.  I am looking forward to seeing your photos.  I may at some point attempt that build if I can figure out where to display it in my apartment.  The photos of your Mamoli Constitution showed excellent work as I recall.  I am sure your current build will is also great.

thank you for your kind words. so far i am very happy with the kit. she's big. very big. she's going to go in my son's office as the admiral is still very upset over the size of the diana. 

the lower gun port pattern and 8 planks are attached and i am hoping to have a fellow club member help me post pictures.

mort

Mort - so glad you've decided to start a build log, will be very interested to follow your progress.  Can't wait for the pictures!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 1 year later...

8EA060E8-73C7-4332-8B2A-B3D2E65D4DA1.jpeg

6E1A41DB-E777-4F29-81B5-2F78F40EB996.jpeg

208300F9-E212-471F-83A1-79424F7CB333.jpeg

470AB3D2-9E94-40A1-B0A6-47B287358FC6.jpeg

E2F812B3-9780-46CE-B74D-1B9D0614AA56.jpeg

Hi,

I think I've figured out how to post pictures, which don't do any justice to the real life appearance. Hopefully I can do it again. I'll try post earlier ones. The above show the forecastle breast beam  assembly, with the exposed port side upper gun deck, the masters cabin - with bed, desk and clothes trunk -  the admirals sleeping cabin - with wash stand, clothes trunk and bed - partially exposed admiral's dining cabin and the captains dining and day cabins. I'm awaiting more parts from Caldercraft and then I can complete the captain's dining and day cabins.  

Stay safe and well,

Mort

9DE9B5F2-CC6B-4ED0-974E-4D1DC22BB256.jpeg

FAC6C85C-2470-4CCB-B171-B4930BFAFEBC.jpeg

740C66BF-79C4-4A64-9970-EBCE6C7D6728.jpeg

516D88BF-7127-4EAC-9886-58C1E8AFA9E2.jpeg

F6BAF804-AF09-445F-BBF0-750EA97F4B2D.jpeg

As you can see I removed part of #105 in order to build part of the captain’s area. In retrospect I should have removed both of  the top parts of #105 and the keel piece but I couldn’t visualize if it would work or not if the stern fascia #374 would properly fit. The pictures show the captain’s  quarter gallery with a hanging lantern and commode.  Also shown are some furniture dry fitted in the captain’s day cabin.        

I've a question concerning the beakhead bulkhead #205. I'm thinking of removing the right side of the bulkhead in order the make the bow interior more visible when viewing the front of the ship.  As you can see if you check my 2/15 post - the first picture - the starboard bow portion of the upper gun deck is exposed. With the marines walk, bowsprit etc. will removing part of the bulkhead provide more visiblity and do you think it's worthwhile? 

Thanks,

Mort

Photos look great.  That could be an interesting way to go Mort, and obviously personal choice.  Would you need to add or adjust any of the f'c's'l sdeck beams as these would be much more visible?

Also meant to ask you, what did you use to simulate glass in your pics of the side galleries.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Jason,

No it won't be necessary to adjust any of the deck beams. The only adjustment is the removal of the right half of the beakhead bulkhead. My concern is amount of the upper gun deck visible when looking at the model bow on.

The windows are mica. It was a gift from a fellow NJ Club member ages ago. He doesn't remember where or when he got it, but he bought it on line. 

I got the idea from looking the models in the "Rodgers " and "Kriegstein Collection" books. 

Hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mort

• 3 weeks later...

8B5C27AF-58C9-43EB-BBA3-7AB4AB10DC80.jpeg

F8C0BCA9-9A4E-4B96-8B05-5755440E6E9A.jpeg

3F67CCE4-3AB8-4860-9873-74C914474B56.jpeg

E22200F6-3809-4575-8797-D05C22184D1A.jpeg

C3DD0718-180E-44DB-877E-F2C36A7B7E1B.jpeg

2E0151D4-095F-4A1E-87AA-5D83D5241AA6.jpeg

330269D9-4712-4076-806F-C54F008CA7F6.jpeg

F6285D9B-56BB-4782-8289-05B668C76233.jpeg

7C96BBBD-1274-46DE-8D6B-726C41B07D89.jpeg

B6926C2D-C483-4981-9503-98449284606A.jpeg

ED15C37E-CDA8-4314-AA20-3053AC59CD07.jpeg

8AFB1AE8-8A7F-4D69-BC6F-CBAE8189EB1C.jpeg

Hi,

As you can see I've completed the beakhead bulkhead and timberheads. The bulkheads for the Captain's dining and day cabins are installed.  I've also completed the Captain's dining and day cabin. The dining cabin has 2 side tables and a liquor box in addition to the dining table and chairs. The day cabin contains 2 clothes trunks, a dresser, a chest and a desk. I'll probably add a small circular table. 

I tried to remove the center keel piece and the other bulkhead # 105 thereby opening the remaining area of the day cabin, but It's too involved for my skill set.  

You can also see the template for the poop deck dry fitted, there exposing the Admiral and Captain's cabins.

I thank you Heinz very much for your support. You're the best.

Stay safe and well,

Mort

• 3 months later...

33D988D4-4FA3-4457-AA49-4CA92CC21F3A.jpeg

7C3140AE-07A5-4A06-9095-2F4F17B1D5B2.jpeg

64402060-0458-46C9-A90C-6D9790D07E0F.jpeg

9FF9EA54-8253-42BB-8170-3D142FC1A672.jpeg

A9D3E218-B528-4858-A8AC-E80C79D2E7A0.jpeg

9F57BB30-EC70-49F0-8DBA-1BA560743452.jpeg

90F80018-54CD-4C29-88BA-C43553D09980.jpeg

442C8BBA-80D6-4BBF-920F-9E00B03E5B32.jpeg

Completed the bow head rails, gratings , cat-heads and the figure heads.  Took me awhile to get it organized but it worked  out fairly well. Poop deck is planked - with maple - and just about complete. Am now working on the flag lockers.  

Stay safe and well,

Mort

Mort,

Looks like your gratings  to scale which is very nice to see!!   Not many are achieving this so kudos to you.  Maybe I missed it, but how did you make the checker pattern?  I usually draw it in CAD then print on paper and it works well.  

As an obvious fan of Victory, I hope you and your build followers have signed on to the Trafalgar TV series as shown in my signature below.  It promises to be a big deal for all of us.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Allan,

Gratings are from Syren - Chuck Passaro  - not from the kit.  Checkered floor pattern I learned to make through Bob Hunts Rattlesnake Practum.  I will be happy to post pictures from my build as to how I did it if you like.

I already have signed up through the Jersey Club for the Trafalgar Series. Hope it comes to pass.

Mort

6686D4D2-DBFB-4B6C-89F1-67571452F0EC.jpeg

9A07BAC6-0183-4EDA-9CF0-1FC50AA5D64C.jpeg

9674345C-14CB-4DD4-85D2-2FBBCD6AD5A1.jpeg

B19EC1B4-D985-4401-9553-785CDD050846.jpeg

Completed the flag lockers - they look better in person - and started work on the stern. 

• 1 month later...

99883551-FE37-4066-AD04-8BBA31414394.thumb.jpeg.4fb095e4303d9be5f51438ecddea81db.jpeg

E5E63BB6-6D07-468C-B23B-E99746532B33.jpeg

C366765E-AC55-4DF1-93C6-D6D709EDB15C.jpeg

80A8CB71-221E-4F8A-913F-F54E14FD5BA0.jpeg

60261B9E-0C58-47F5-A8FF-0F1911D02F2A.jpeg

BD68F4AB-655E-4461-B54B-4BA0D08B7D98.jpeg