Sox & Martin GTX by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Revell - PLASTIC

9 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I love the Fokker.......the Germans had some of the most eye catching camo jobs on them.   there is also quite an array of aftermarket decal kits for them too :)   the largest one I have is the Revell 1:28 D VII.........if I would get off my duff and get busy,  I'd get the Guillow's Fokker Dr 1 out and sand the wings.  it has a wingspan of 20 inches.......I think it's 1:17 scale or something like that!

I've got what you need right here. It's an old Sterling Models Fokker D.VII, a 60" wingspan scale model that can be setup for R/C. 

This thing would keep you busy an entire winter and then some. 

1 hour ago, CDW said:

I've got what you need right here. It's an old Sterling Models Fokker D.VII, a 60" wingspan scale model that can be setup for R/C. 

This thing would keep you busy an entire winter and then some. 

Would love to see that started in here  by either of you.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

this should start you off OC........I've posted pictures of the Revell model here and there.  the entire build may also be in this link.

https://popeyesquadron.wordpress.com/2016/12/09/guillows-fokker-dr-1-the-plans/

I started to sand everything,  but got into something else......I really need to get back to it.

if I could talk the admiral into it........I'd chat deal,  but at that scale,  I don't think I'd win. ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

it's in there OC.........right along with the Guillow's Spitfire MK1,  and the Monogram F 15 Eagle.  have fun :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

5 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

it's in there OC.........right along with the Guillow's Spitfire MK1,  and the Monogram F 15 Eagle.  have fun :) 

Thanks mate.:dancetl6:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

there is an update coming for this model.........have it on the table as we speak ;)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm beginning to think that this one should have been built by someone other than me...........just my thoughts :blink:   I did some more sanding on the body to get it as smooth as possible.  that's when I noticed that the engine box wasn't cemented in the corners,  allowing the body to twist....not to mention the slight warp.

1579626921_1.jpg.72ac6838049b6e539d380b153a5be6e9.jpg

so last week,  I cemented the corners and put some weight on it until the glue dried.  I was hoping that it might cure the warpage.

1738389232_2.jpg.cf6b3d7fc65b9682e05f37fa8b565f0c.jpg

it didn't cure it totally,  but I think enough to make a difference.   the engine box was painted flat black again,  as well as around the interior compartment.  I should have done along the rocker panels and rear wheel wells,  but I can do that later.

977810282_4.jpg.5eff7c7028b3cd1106db9f45844fbc6e.jpg

while this was drying,  I added more to the chassis.   it's out of sequence,  but I really don't think it will matter much.   the engine was cemented in place,  as well as the drive shaft and the major part of the front suspension.   the rear differential was cemented in place a while ago.

1932723827_3.jpg.ae8050bc1e968dfc259d62717e683fc6.jpg

knowing that I had taken the sheen off of the body,  I masked and painted the white.   the paint still reflected the sanding,  so I went over it twice.

1612092673_5.jpg.259dc4a35e9383ed2cbec5d7061c8d71.jpg

the hood has been done too........I still need to paint the scoop blue..........................................and that's when things started to go down hill.  the paint I had bought for the blue is nothing more than a reflective clear coat.  it makes the paint look metal flake and changes the hue in different shades,  depending how you look at it.  now I'll have to use the blue I used before :o:default_wallbash:   off I went to play with that........but after I remasked and painted the red.

1432730038_6.jpg.2883eae8dc560bf91dd549f736316a77.jpg

I corrected the line where the red meets the white.  now to wait for it to dry.    more soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I rummaged through the boxes of kits I have stashed out in my garage, and found my old copy of the Sox and Martin GTX. The kit was never started, but it's so old, the decals are shot from being stored in a non climate controlled building. I think there are some aftermarket ones available for it. If not, will just do it as a street muscle car.

it has all the parts to be a street machine....I believe I posted a decal site that might have them,  somewhere around here.......I may still have it book marked.   yours will definitely look much better than mine.......hands down! ;) 

the body has lost all of it's sheen........the paint shows all of the minute-est of marks.   pulling off the masking tape,  showed a disaster.........the red bled into the white.   I even did the trick of prepainting the white before painting the red.   I did it with a brush too........likely why it happened.   I even pulled the paint down from the masking,  and not welling it up against it......oh well.   I did a fair job of fixing it freehand...it will have to do.  finding out the properties of that paint I bought......I painted the scoop blue,  and then went over it with the paint.   I got the metalflake finish I was looking for anyway :) 

more on this one soon! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

a little forward roll on this project.   as mentioned,  the body still looks a bit rough.  my painting didn't help matters much either.  I did get it to look halfway decent though........once the decals are on,  it should look OK.

1514032063_1.jpg.d501bd19f10d4de412f21d52ce4dbb83.jpg

1321843675_2.jpg.2460e72bd3800d5df4b50a847dc1a4af.jpg

noticed some minor touch ups on the trunk.  I painted the blue this morning.......I'm going to treat it with that paint,  I used on the hood scoop.  it says to use flat black.......but as I proved here....if I had used flat black,  I would have had a shiny black hood scoop.

1177251920_3.jpg.2b05fcac3d5b50a5d7c598364f0c362c.jpg

I painted the hood scoop blue....if you look close,  you can see the glitter in the paint :) 

1693458763_4.jpg.a0cb93fccc9897674f951a982241712e.jpg 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks,  but the body doesn't look smooth.......I'm still not happy with it.   but I will finish it........one never knows.  it could come out look'in halfway decent  ;) 

I actually started to write this reply a few hours ago.........been real busy 'round here.  thanks for the vote of confidence  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I think scale cars are so difficult to get spot on  - I dont know perhaps the scale,  I could never do them justice,   I think you are doing just fine denis.

OC,

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks for the compliment OC..........the initial Pho-par is what got the Murphy ball rolling with this one.   as I've come to know.....there's always one project that's not gonna go the way it was planned.  Ideas may look good on paper,  but in application,  they fall flat.   small bites.......chew......and then swallow ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

the log isn't dead yet.........I've been doing a bit of painting here and there on the body ;)    I think it looks almost good enough to continue.   something soon ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Keep going with it denis  - its coming together.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

the body is good enough for presentation.........I put the metal flake paint on the roof.  I'll play with it some more as I assemble it :) 

511600710_1.jpg.afdfcc10848aedd9c59bea92e7628cdd.jpg

751981363_2.jpg.4bf52c6cd4d701eecfd59e8dee441e3c.jpg

338354246_3.jpg.86006ef8068f7ab8c41dddf80243301e.jpg

288159327_4.jpg.82e48207c470d9b8fe0e30954291f5d2.jpg

more soon :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I got more done before we went to the seafood festival at Hampton Beach............it was a really good time.    Dorian had the water quite active still.......some really impressive breakers.......made me wish I had brought along the camera.   it never got close here,  but I think the cape in Mass saw more than we did.

this morning I did a bit more........I'll post it after I get further.  thanks for the likes :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I though I would get more done..........I did,  but it was very short lived.  we went to the movies to see the second chapter of 'IT'.   it was good,  but it didn't have the same outcome of the first one.  remakes.......gotta love'em............right?!?!?! ;) 

so her is what I accomplished on the 7th.  the front and rear glass were cemented in place.  I decided not to do the side windows due to them being rather thick,  and an ill fit.  since I used window maker {and cement} to install them,  I had to let the body set for a while........it cures much slower than regular cement.   just as I was about to cement in the interior bucket,  I saw that the windshield was off and there was a gap on the driver's side.  this I had to repair before continuing on.

1158045713_1.jpg.f492384a195b90f9e49fb22fab5687d5.jpg

241278034_2.jpg.6cb854208b57b46593d8e8a09587dc33.jpg

196195291_3.jpg.87837ef99b1c22c19874b75d9c48f273.jpg

this was the first time I used the 'pick 'n place tool....the pen like tool you see on the desk.  it had a sticky ball of some sort of material on the tip,  and worked really good for placement of the glass.  I got a set of them from Billing Boats.........now a long time ago.   I miss working with Tom........he and his wife were great people {they still are!}.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I let the body set all night..........the next morning,  the rear inner wheel wells were painted flat black and allowed to dry.   the chassis was then fitted into place........had no need to cement it!

1092708077_1.jpg.c49288fdfc83987820e04426f621e914.jpg

there are a couple parts that need to be added to the underside..............

475666225_2.jpg.1296d83dc65eedc71e1e636d3b81899a.jpg

....as well as a few parts that will be added to the engine compartment.

237405474_3.jpg.4b3baa4dc28aab93bf3e1a8c1029b4a3.jpg

the rear grille and bumper are all a single part..........the taillights were added to it.   I noticed that there a re back up lights.......I painted them and will add them later.  the gas cap was added too.

2021837015_4.jpg.0c8f69fd0a0dbd36d492419ceb98279b.jpg

the hood fits on there so-so.........a tiny bit warped it seems...........I think it might have something to do with the hinges.   there is a strip of chrome that completes the front grille,  that need to be cemented to the underside of the front lip.  not sure it will help it.........but it won't hurt ;) 

1062935795_5.jpg.1213ce6ae0cbb6e3533372a4e9f71a95.jpg

I was tempted to paint the upper body {the white part} with the metal flake,  but didn't want to risk a repeat performance of the paint like the last time.   left it as is............    the front grille and lower grille bonnet was assembled and painted some time ago.   it was added to the car at this time.......the headlights and marker lights will be added once the marker lights dry

816029530_6.jpg.a3aaa09233da22f8dccfc2985963067e.jpg

it's getting to the finish line.......pretty glad about it :)   not my best,  but at least it's not a total mess. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

continued on with the headlights and front bumper.........almost lost one of the headlights.  Gibbs was laying under my desk and I feared that it may have gotten into his fur.........it wasn't the case {thank heavens}.

1456329815_1.jpg.6db15c370c95e2004b0efc872788292b.jpg

front markers and back up lights were added too.    the upper radiator hose and a couple other parts finished it off :) 

1479436095_2.jpg.b708bfc5634d2308a2360db9a0e8bac9.jpg

all that's left now are the decals! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

decals are on........and this model is officially finished!  came out rather well,  in spite of the mistakes and problems I had building it.  thanks to all for following along :)

1207784892_3.jpg.9596ba746c2ea92a0708325fb42cb68f.jpg

1145538066_4.jpg.ed2f9d21efda8f7386d2820eac178fb6.jpg

968033081_5.jpg.608a58281b1f55ad3da627f93410762b.jpg

792846679_6.jpg.22b6a44ab3381ca0155fb8f6415c5cdc.jpg

I almost lost the hood emblem too...........I thought it flipped of into the trashcan that's near my desk.   I picked through it a bit..........thinking that it was a lost cause,  I abandoned the search,  but gave one last look around my desk.  I found it under the shelf,  under the right side of the desk.  lucky to have found such a tiny object.   when I laid the stripe decal on the hood,  where the emblem goes broke out and caused a jagged mess around it.  cutting tiny strips of the same color decal,  I was able to box the spot in and tidy it up.

1146229550_8.jpg.45699d7b24cd43c3f6189ee3afa68785.jpg

273921814_9.jpg.cd72af1bf28f6bb2d320301f40d4d947.jpg

:)    emoticones_dibujos_popeye-el-marino1_en.PlanetaEmoticon_com.gif.b07dfff60cecd79661a404f587f828b2.gif 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very cool!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Great find on the small parts Denis. It's no fun getting to the end and find that you have lost important stuff. The decals really made a difference as well.

Have you started your next build yet?;):D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

thanks Phil........glad you like it  :) 

Lou,

I see your trying to stay one step ahead of me...........right?!?!?! ;)   since you asked..............a while ago,  I had this crazy idea to do a what if battle ship,  but done in a sailing ship format........dunno......1800's perhaps.  now I know there was the Warrior,  the Alabama,  the Kearsarge.......think of the set up of these vessels,  in a more modern way.   I know it's a stretch........the sail configuration is going to be a huge dilemma.  anyway.......I had traced out the parts for the hull,  using the Thermopylae parts panels........did this months ago.  I finally got around to cutting them out........assembling the frame..........and faring the frame out.  two last bulkheads of the stern and the smaller bulkhead at the bow {the one on the stem},  I have not done yet.   I'm not decided of how the bow and stern will look.  I want to use some of the Hood PE parts to build up the structures.......I already have the cannons ;)   it's still in the planning phase.........I think it will be an interesting endeavor.   if it all comes down on me........I have a great start on another clipper ship  ;) 

I never cease to amaze me ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Kind of like this?

Image result for steampunk battleship

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

''''''hmmmmm............that's still a bit traditional.  most frigates and war ships have their armament low and within the hull........my plan is to add upper structures,  while still maintaining the sailing ship appearance.   this is why I chose a clipper hull.......give it a lower draught,  and build upward.....the masts will adjusted to allow for space.   cool picture.......a defense dept. secret?........the world may never know  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: