Chris

There is an ancient Egyptian boat in very good condition in a museum at the base of the pyramids. It's a bit earlier the the middle kingdom under Hatshepsut's , by about 1000 years. It date from the period of the pyramids.

Richard

Richard

Current build :  Victory cross section / DeAgostini, Lady Eleanor  Vanguard Models 

Other builds :   N scale computer controlled model railroad

On 7/22/2020 at 4:03 AM, chris watton said:

Cheers again, very helpful posts. I shall probably go with a 20 gun and work up, as this make most sense.

I have to be honest and say I have never bothered to see what other companies are doing, I have never cared one jot, as I have always preferred to do what I think is right/what I like, rather than reacting to what others are doing.

Having said that, Initially, Atalanta was on the cards, as I bought the plans for that - but I now realise the everyone and their mother are now doing a Swan class, so I feel a 20 gun small frigate from the same period is a very good substitute.

Out of all the kits I have designed in the past, there are only two I would very much like to revisit and give them the treatment/designs they so deserve, a brig and a small ship of the line, which I did two decades ago.

Lou, I keep looking at my Bristol designs, and may carry on with them, but knowing what I know now, I need more slightly smaller kits before purchasing the large amount of materials needed for such a large kit. When I started Bristol, the plan was to use standard materials (basswood), and use my Italian sub contractor to laser cut the parts - but this has changed as I realised quickly that the standards/quality of cutting were not what I had envisaged.

The upside to this is that it forced me to purchase my own laser machine, and a lot more freedom to design how I like without worrying about the costs of paying someone for the time, and wondering if all the parts I paid for will fit as I want them to.

One more thing I would like to add, not a single part of my new kits are an 'afterthought', I try to give each and every part the attention they need, so that they fit with the 'whole'

I most certainly agree there. If only for totally selfish reasons.  :)

Chris, my skillset improves slowly and can and does improve as our product line grows. You know Jim beat me over the head for the best part of a year, and now that I’m in, I’m hooked for life.

I love the idea of a 26, a 36, and 44, in succession.  Possibly after that, maybe a 50 gun 4th Rate? Before tackling the 64s...

That being said, I’d love a 1/64 scale revisit of the classic Royal Navy 74.  Bellerophon beckons in the scale you’ve chosen that everyone loves.

And maybe even a heavy American frigate?

Although I’ll buy your 1/64 Victory design, I doubt I’ll ever build her, and even if I do, it’s years down the road. 

The one thing I absolutely love about the Vanguard kits is how, for a newbie like me, are almost idiot proof.  Not that craftsmanship is left at the door of course, but because you make it mighty hard to misread an ambiguous booklet or line drawing.

I’m in for every one of your future releases!

Keep ‘em coming, please!

On the bench:  Vanguard Models 1/64 HMS Speedy

On Deck:

Vanguard Models 1/64 Zulu,

Vanguard Models 1/64 Fifie,

Victory Models 1/72 HMS Bellerophon 

On 7/23/2020 at 4:35 PM, chris watton said:

It is hard to work out the times involved, because I do this from home, so am always thinking about the designs and tweaking. Sometimes at 2 or 3 in the morning when I think of a solution to a problem that's been bugging me all day! I think perhaps one full week for the very small kits, with a lot more hours tweaking  aspects of the initial designs. The more complex the design the longer it takes, but to the modeller,  they wouldn't know as most of the hard parts are 'ironed out' before ever being kitted - although there's always something that slips through, no matter how much time I spend checking stuff...

I would very much like to do an ancient vessel one day, I think perhaps one of Hatshepsut's vessels, complete with a scale figure of her would be pretty cool...

Perhaps a 1/64 Sperm Whale? Jonah’s ride of choice. 

On Deck:

9 hours ago, ErnieL said:

I most certainly agree there. If only for totally selfish reasons.  :)

Chris, my skillset improves slowly and can and does improve as our product line grows. You know Jim beat me over the head for the best part of a year, and now that I’m in, I’m hooked for life.

I love the idea of a 26, a 36, and 44, in succession.  Possibly after that, maybe a 50 gun 4th Rate? Before tackling the 64s...

That being said, I’d love a 1/64 scale revisit of the classic Royal Navy 74.  Bellerophon beckons in the scale you’ve chosen that everyone loves.

And maybe even a heavy American frigate?

Although I’ll buy your 1/64 Victory design, I doubt I’ll ever build her, and even if I do, it’s years down the road. 

The one thing I absolutely love about the Vanguard kits is how, for a newbie like me, are almost idiot proof.  Not that craftsmanship is left at the door of course, but because you make it mighty hard to misread an ambiguous booklet or line drawing.

I’m in for every one of your future releases!

Keep ‘em coming, please!

Thank you, Ernie!

I think my love of frigates will be well reflected in future developments.

If all goes well, this will be my 'Flagship' model, as I have no desire to ever revisit Victory....

Royal George lines 48th.jpg

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

From the plans it was either Royal George or Britannia.  Royal George is a good shout for research, plenty of contemporary drawings, paintings and models.  When you say it’s a while off we probably have to allow for Chris Watton development timescales with 6 models out in 2 years you run at a different pace to your competitors! 

Gary

lol im ready to order the Royal George NOW

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Let’s see......my name is Sjors. Translated in English...........George!!

I’m royal ( in my dreams) so......i think i need to build this beauty....

Dilemma....Royal George or Victory....l i think Royal George won 😆
Take your time to develop her.

I’m retired in 2 years and 9 months.....no pressure.

Sjors ( Royal George ) 😊

Royal George ... Can I already pay an advance 🙂. This one is defenitely  on my shopping list (price does not matter).

Simon

Current build:

Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston by Vanguard Models

Mercury by Victory Models - scale 1:64 - (99% scratchbuild) - on hold

Finished: Bluenose by Amati - scale 1:100

Nice, but after Vanguard too big for me.  Fortunately I think we’ll see Sphinx first. I can call it Royal Glenn.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

At 1:64 definitely too big for both my bench and my house. (probably also too big for my bankaccount :) )

But a wonderfull model it will make...

I'm still hoping for someone going into the McNarry/Philip Reed sized kits :).

I'm not a good enough builder (and have far too litte machinery) to go into that direction by myself, but that size would fit both bench and house....

(not sure about the bankaccount, though: Chris already explained to me a long time ago that smaller models do not come at a substantially lower price)

Jan

Cheers!

At the moment, a big three decker is way off. When I start this, I would need to be in a position to be doing this full time plus have a lot of extra cash to cover development costs. But working up to Royal George is my aim and it is the flagship of the range I have settled on.

I did think about Caledonia at one point (even San Josef), but that would be too much of a monster, and flatter lines than the mid 18th Century First Rates. Although I did laugh to myself envisioning my wife's face when seeing the hull grow on the dining room table..

logo.jpg

It maybe that Chris's Amati Victory design and Chris's Vanguard's Royal George are heading toward a two or three year release date. That would be a great head to head battle.  I suspect not to many folk could buy or build both???

Chris is an expert now, he'll be a super expert in a few years time. I think the Royal George is a fantastic flagship and a build to aspire to. 

Malcolm

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

The cost of making Royal George kits would be immense.  100 turned brass or resin Guns.  boxwood planking for master version.  Half a pallet of mdf only makes like 8 kits.  Madness...

I guess we should start saving   

2 hours ago, BenD said:

The cost of making Royal George kits would be immense.  100 turned brass or resin Guns.  boxwood planking for master version.  Half a pallet of mdf only makes like 8 kits.  Madness...

I guess we should start saving   

And supporting him by buying everything he produces. 

On Deck:

it is about time we had new lads on the block supporting the hobby we enjoy, I hope the big company's will very soon take note and wonder why they have catalogues of kits that are, frankly outdated, we buy them as there is nothing else, i dont think euromodels como, Caldercraft, and others have done anything new in quite a while

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks for all the great comments! I do know that a healthy number of kits in a new range is around 12, and if and when I reach this number, I will be very happy.

At the moment, I have another 11 definite kits in my 'Future Kit Developments' folder, all complete with bought and paid for plan sets for each (including Royal George).

I am thinking for the larger kits, two versions may be the best way to go, due to material costs. Standard versions would have Tanganyika planking (I must stress I have very high quality tang, not the crap we usually get) and basswood or walnut wood laser cut parts, and 'Premium' versions will have the pear  planking and laser cut parts - and perhaps boxwood 'Master Shipwright' versions made strictly to order.

But this is a while away. Right now, Flirt release is imminent (I am very happy with this kit), all printed materials, manual, plans and box labels, arrive tomorrow (was promised last Thursday, but due to a lot of people still furloughed, they took longer than their quoted time), and I am promised the new size shipping sleeves next week, too.

I am currently having a full suite of 64th scale cannon barrels 3-d printed and then cast in black resin (100 of each initially) of 9, 12 (2 sizes), 18, 24 and 32 pounders. These should cover all future kits (except for carronades). Right now, I am working on the royal yacht, line drawings for profiles and mast and rigging plans - these do take a while to do, but need to do them before making the masts, yards and adding the rigging to the prototype.

And that's where I am up to..

Oh, one more thing. I can get flags produced, but this is an area I know little about. If someone could give me sizes and correct colours for the era (1750-1815), I could also offer these...

logo.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Cheers for the links :)

OK, All Flirt stuff is now with me, plans, manuals, box labels and shipping sleeves, so all Flirts will be shipped over the next couple of days, It is no longer pre-order, as they are now in stock.

I have another large pear block and deadeye order arriving from Master-Korabel very soon, so pear block sets will be an option for standard Flirts soon (also Speedy and Alert)

logo.jpg

14 minutes ago, amateur said:

I was (again) looking at your last development. 

Wondering: what paint does he use, and how is the guilding done? It is not flashy gold-leaf, but is also not just yellow ochre-paint.

Jan

It is Vallejo Liquid Gold. I do like the Vallejo paints, as they dry very quickly. I spray the PE and resin decoration in white primer first, and then brush painted the Vallejo gold onto the parts.

logo.jpg

Flags would be nice to get as extras. Its difficult do sails that looks nice on ships but if you get some various 1/64 flags for the Royal navy i would likely order them.

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64)