5 hours ago, ErnieL said:

Sphinx will be impressive. I was gonna say a 28 but I’ll take any frigate

I think that Sphynx is a nice size, not too big, not too small, and noticeably larger than the 16 gun Swan Class. Designs are well beyond those of Fly/Pegasus, though, even Victory. The drawback is the sheer amount of laser cut parts and materials for it, making it more expensive, but as easy to build as it can be.

For the much larger kits, I may have to hold back on the designs (making them more traditional and stay at Amati Victory levels), though, as prices would start to get too high, as I do need them to sell...

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Still in pre-prototype stage, but am now ready to start laser cutting for the actual prototype model, now that I have worked out all essential patterns required. These pics will not reflect the actual model, as the inner bulwarks will be wood, plus there gave been quite a few minor changes to everything...

Sphynx 3 1.JPG

Sphynx 4.JPG

Sphynx 4-2.JPG

Sphynx 4-3.JPG

logo.jpg

Coming late to this conversation, as usual, but I've been building a model of the Sphynx class frigates in 1:96 scale. I'm trying to keep the overall length of the model to a reasonable size. At 1:96 the overall length from jibboom to transom is a bout 2 feet. I started out at 1:64 and soon realized that there would be few places in a home that could accommodate the length. In any case, I find the hull lines much more pleasing than the Swan class for about the same bang for your buck.

Tom

On 9/29/2020 at 2:41 AM, chris watton said:

These pics will not reflect the actual model, as the inner bulwarks will be wood,

Chris,

Will the inner bulwarks be planked or just painted?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

5 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Chris,

Will the inner bulwarks be planked or just painted?

I will paint the inner bulwarks red for the prototype. The modeller can paint or varnish as they wish.

(Spirketting planks added once deck laid)

logo.jpg

2 hours ago, TBlack said:

Chris,

Sphynx has molding (moulding?) strips along the hull which Alex has done nicely in his version which is at a larger scale. Are you able to provide such detail in the kit?

Tom

Alex is a master model maker, making unique models, but only one model, with no consideration required for manufacturing hundreds of the same. What I will do is laser etch the detail (as per Duchess of Kingston yacht), as I cannot get any strip with such mouldings  at this small size. Plus they end up in scrolls - better to have the whole rail as one so they 'flow' as they should, as far as I am concerned. Most kits supply 1x2 or 1x1mm wood strip for these parts.

I am already worried that I am adding too much to this kit, which increases costs.... 

logo.jpg

As I have recently learned with Cheerful , moulding can be easily scraped from strip wood and a piece of filed brass.  No need to increase kit costs.  Even not scraped as a plain strip it can serve the purpose.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

17 hours ago, chris watton said:

I will paint the inner bulwarks red for the prototype. The modeller can paint or varnish as they wish.

(Spirketting planks added once deck laid)

Thankee 👍

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Here is the final version of the main gun deck, complete with engraved chequer plating at the stern. This will be fitted to my prototype model and is cut from a scrap piece of veneer, hence the darker than usual colour variations...

Sphynx deck 1.jpg

Sphynx deck 2.jpg

Sphynx deck 3.jpg

logo.jpg

1 hour ago, TBlack said:

This thing is going to be fantastic! BTW, Chris, I don't know what you are using for plans, but my source was devoid of pin rails at the base of the masts, so I 

had to add them to provide for proper flow of lines. What will you do?

Tom

I always buy copies of every original plan there is of each subject. These are the basis for the hull, decks and fittings (where and when shown). For detail that isn't shown on the plans, I have plenty of books for reference - the Anatomy of the Ship Pandora is of great use for this particular development, as this is not much bigger than Sphynx and would share a lot of the details for fittings. The ships stove would be slightly smaller, though, according to the tables in The Arming and Fitting of English Men of War.

There are belaying pins, but there seems to be no Mizzen bitts and rail at all for this particular class. Am assuming a pin ring or cleats near the foot of the Mizzen...

logo.jpg

Chris!

Just got my copy of Speedy. It seems like I ordered it yesterday, so I have this thought: We'll call you Speedy (maybe even Sir Speedy {we'll have to talk to

the Queen about that}). Which means the ship is named after you! Anyway, thanks for the wonderful service.

Tom

OK, Duchess of Kingston will be available for pre order very soon, as it is almost ready.

In the meantime, I had a set of cast black resin cannon barrels arrive, including a PE sheet for each. I am selling the 9, 12, 18, 24 and 32 pounder cannon barrel and carriage sets in pairs, which include the laser cut pear, photo etched parts (including flintlocks) and 2 cast black resin barrels.

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/cannon-carriages/

I also had sample castings for the carronade barrels, which look fine, so will order production sets to be made. Again, I have the PE sheets done for these, just need the barrels cast now.

I have been working on my 7th kit, Sphynx, but because I am no back in full time employment, things are going slower than I would like. Still, get something done every day when I have the spare time. The short 9 pounder barrels (7 foot, as opposed to 8 or 9 foot versions) have been cast by MK, and the figurehead and stern decoration is being carved (digitally) right now, so everything's still moving forward...

cannon set.jpg

carronade 1.jpg

early 12 pounder carronade 1.jpg

logo.jpg

12 pounders are 46mm long in total, so are the 8'6" type (for the 50 gun Bristol)

I do have some 37mm 12's, but not cast yet. These are for 12 pounder frigates, rather than the larger vessels. Also have a short 18 pounder for 18 pounder frigates (42,8mm), but this too needs to be cast for production parts. All barrels are for larger vessels at the moment (being around 48mm long in total)

logo.jpg

Bristol? 😲 Squirrel!!  :) Just kiddin'    Guns look great Chris will the carronade elevation screws be cast or brass? The photoetch accoutrements look so much better than traditional items...

1 minute ago, ASAT said:

Bristol? 😲 Squirrel!!  :) Just kiddin'    Guns look great Chris will the carronade elevation screws be cast or brass? The photoetch accoutrements look so much better than traditional items...

The elevating thread bars were originally part of the casting, but they proved too fragile so I got rid of them and added the hole to which a length of brass rod will fit into, to simulate the threaded bar.

If I had kept the threaded bars, I would have had around 75% scrap rate.

logo.jpg

OK, thanks to Jim Hatch (who has really helped me this year), the Duchess of Kingston is now available for pre order. All work for manual, plans and box art complete and just sent off to the printers.

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/duchess-of-kingston/

My wife told me she wants to keep the prototype model in the living room, as she seems to love it, too!

Now I work on Sphynx. This will take time to develop, as I want to continue the same design philosophy I used for Duchess, only on a much bigger scale (and of course, I am back at work full time)  - but this does take a lot more time than simply drawing out a bunch of bulkheads and supplying wood strip for the hard work. But, I hope, more modellers will be able to do a great job without having to need master modeller skills. And those that do, the sky's the limit!

I have been working closely with Master Korabel to produce the short 9 pounders for this model. I received the samples today and they are quite stunning. Exact scale even down to the diameter of the trunnions, and finished in a nigh on perfect looking dull black. I will have more sizes made by them in the future.

In the meantime, I am planning to have the 32, 24 and 18 pounder carronade barrels cast (and the early 12 pounder carronade with trunnions - plus a short 18 pounder for 18 pounder frigates). Would there be anyone interested in these, so I know how many to have cast?

Cheers

Chris

DoK Box Art 520x300.jpg

logo.jpg

13 minutes ago, chris watton said:

OK, thanks to Jim Hatch (who has really helped me this year), the Duchess of Kingston is now available for pre order. All work for manual, plans and box art complete and just sent off to the printers.

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/duchess-of-kingston/

My wife told me she wants to keep the prototype model in the living room, as she seems to love it, too!

Now I work on Sphynx. This will take time to develop, as I want to continue the same design philosophy I used for Duchess, only on a much bigger scale (and of course, I am back at work full time)  - but this does take a lot more time than simply drawing out a bunch of bulkheads and supplying wood strip for the hard work. But, I hope, more modellers will be able to do a great job without having to need master modeller skills. And those that do, the sky's the limit!

I have been working closely with Master Korabel to produce the short 9 pounders for this model. I received the samples today and they are quite stunning. Exact scale even down to the diameter of the trunnions, and finished in a nigh on perfect looking dull black. I will have more sizes made by them in the future.

In the meantime, I am planning to have the 32, 24 and 18 pounder carronade barrels cast (and the early 12 pounder carronade with trunnions - plus a short 18 pounder for 18 pounder frigates). Would there be anyone interested in these, so I know how many to have cast?

Cheers

Chris

DoK Box Art 520x300.jpg

Congrats Chris on the new pre-release! I know there has been a lot of interest in this kit.. I noticed you mentioned you are working on the Sphinx. Is there any pics or drawings of her lines? Google searches have me all over the map on which ship you are looking to develop. Again.. congrats on the new release

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

21 minutes ago, Kusawa2000 said:

Congrats Chris on the new pre-release! I know there has been a lot of interest in this kit.. I noticed you mentioned you are working on the Sphinx. Is there any pics or drawings of her lines? Google searches have me all over the map on which ship you are looking to develop. Again.. congrats on the new release

Mike Draper

Thanks Mike.

This is the one I am developing:

https://prints.rmg.co.uk/products/lines-and-profile-plan-of-the-sphinx-1775-j4272?variant=9699771220012

Like the Fly, but bigger.

I did initially intend to do Atalanta, another Swan Class, but figured that too many others are doing this class now, and wanted to bring new classes to the market, rather than re-treads. At this early stage, at least. So r Atalanta was replaced for Sphynx.

logo.jpg

Congratulations on the new release  - I'm going to hold out for Sphynx but wish you the best on orders for this new and different model. I doubt there is anything like it out there, here's hoping it's a big hit!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

Thanks Mike.

https://prints.rmg.co.uk/products/lines-and-profile-plan-of-the-sphinx-1775-j4272?variant=9699771220012

I did initially intend to do Atalanta, another Swan Class, but figured that too many others are doing this class now, and wanted to bring new classes to the market, rather than re-treads. At this early stage, at least. So r Atalanta was replaced for Sphynx.

Chris: Great choice. I agree on your strategy of bringing new classes of ships into the kit development fold. She has beautiful lines. I assume she will be fully rigged?

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

Thanks Mike.

I don’t think there has ever been a Portland Class ship kitted?? 😀