3 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Yikes 3 boats. The 4 on Vanguard took me forever, but I’m sure it will look great on the final product. 

I hate them too, and would one day like to find a way of having the hulls pre made/cast, complete with rib detail, in resin.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

7 minutes ago, glennard2523 said:

Thanks for picture, I've had notification from UPS. Delivery expected Monday for DOK

UPS are picking up Monday, as it took an age to sort out plans and manuals for each kit, so the real delivery day will be Tuesday. I have no idea why UPS do this when I arranged pick up for Monday!

logo.jpg

Such great detail that must be in that number of plan sheets, amazing!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

Such great detail that must be in that number of plan sheets

There are 10 sheets with Speedy and I have most of them pinned up round the walls of the workshop as I'm constantly referring to them. Great quality, as with the rest of the kit. If Duchess has 13 sheets I'll definitely have to wait until I've finished Speedy before I pin them up - either that or persuade my wife that her half of the workshop needs new wallpaper!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

2 minutes ago, DelF said:

the workshop needs new wallpaper!

Clearly plans are works of art, suggest to her having them all framed 😆

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I am sure I create a rod for my own back when it comes to the rigging plans, as I prefer to try and do the lines to scale thicknesses, but this means every line is double, so whenever they intersect another line, trimming is required. A long job when drawing the lines. When they are printed, however, you can hardly see the double lines, so always wonder if it's worth just drawing single lines and saving myself countless hours. Always think this with every new kit, but when it comes to it, I always choose the more time consuming method, but I think they do look better, especially when picking out some areas to zoom in. For this reason, it is the rigging plans that take the longest to draw by far.

logo.jpg

Chris,

I think clear drawings makes life so much easier for the customer.

But maybe as a compromise you could use a single drawn line on the plan to represent a rope, but give the detail on the rope's end-fixings on a separate A4 sheet (or two) that includes all types of fixings (knots, seizing etc) used on that ship...each different type of fixing on the A4 sheet would have a unique number, and then the appropriate unique number would be indicated on the plan sheet at the end(s) of each rope.

That would save you having to draw each fixing multiple times on numerous plan sheets. Kinda like a simplified version of welding symbols ... https://www.samsfabrications.co.uk/useful-tools/welding-symbols/

You could even keep a library of A4 fixing sheets on your website. Plus maybe some tips on seizing, knots etc.

Just a thought,

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

I’ve always appreciated how you present the rigging, I note the double lines and appreciate the detail blow out as you place it, on the same sheet and near where it goes. I like seeing the full picture all at once so I can visualize how that detail fits in the bigger scheme. In other words, please continue as is.  It’s worth it at least to me and I’m sure others.

I wasn’t entirely kidding about works of art.  I’ve reached the stage with kits I rely far more on the plans than the instructions. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

I gave in and ordered the DoK yesterday! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

On 11/6/2020 at 6:36 PM, glbarlow said:

I’ve always appreciated how you present the rigging, I note the double lines and appreciate the detail blow out as you place it, on the same sheet and near where it goes. I like seeing the full picture all at once so I can visualize how that detail fits in the bigger scheme. In other words, please continue as is.  It’s worth it at least to me and I’m sure others.

I wasn’t entirely kidding about works of art.  I’ve reached the stage with kits I rely far more on the plans than the instructions. 

Exactly my opinion, too!

Uwe

I have received notification that UPS have now collected my DOK kit from Vanguard Models today. I'm now eagerly awaiting an updated notification from UPS regarding the delivery.

I have bought some new tools in help me with this build. I plan to keep a build diary to keep track of my time spent with this build and to record any observations / notes / problems. 

Edited by glennard2523

Glenn (UK)

First batch of orders were picked up today, wait, no, yesterday, Monday, so most should receive today (Tuesday), with other countries not too far behind.

Am very much hoping that with this kit, no one will have any issue whatsoever with hull assembly and fragility - I designed it so it's as strong as a Tonka Toy. So if you break it, then there's no helping you, really....lol

logo.jpg

Tonka Toy, Now there's something I've not heard for a long time!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

The DOK has safely arrive at my dry dock. My time will now be split between my current Robert E Lee build and the new Duchess of Kingston build.

Great delivery service by UPS and special thank-you to Mrs Watton for taking time off work to put the kits together, her dedication to the cause is greatly appreciated.

1833369354_0001Box.thumb.jpg.0ed9962aeaa3e6ac49dd16470980e8cb.jpg
Edited by glennard2523

Glenn (UK)

Snap! I'd like to echo Glenn's thanks to Mrs Watton and to Chris.

IMG_2827_edited-1.thumb.JPG.672d1e44ca6e74cb9d1525336436fa86.JPG

Chris kindly ran up a boxwood version for me, and I also shelled out for the pearwood blocks. I've been really impressed with these in the Speedy kit.

Unfortunately, after a quick look inside to admire the contents, Mrs D. whisked the box off until Christmas. I'll just have to get vicarious pleasure from Glenn's log in the meantime. Fortunately I've got Speedy to keep me occupied in the meantime. 

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

1 hour ago, DelF said:

Chris kindly ran up a boxwood version

Well, aren’t we special😳😂

Regards,

Glenn

I did mention earlier in this thread that if some asked, I would be open to the odd boxwood version. However, the Duchess kit has been tried and tested with pearwood, and two fully built up hulls have been made up and tested with the pearwood, and I know the designs work well with this material. This means that officially, the pearwood version is the only version, with the only option being the machined pear wood blocks.

I do not know how well some of the major boxwood patterns would bend, so I decided that no official 'Master Shipwright' version will never be offered. That plus the cost is very high, as there are a lot more laser cut sheets in this than the previous kits. I have seen Delf's amazing work on his Speedy, and he is clearly comfortable with the boxwood, but it is most certainly something I would not recommend for the less experienced.

Anyway, I think the pear suits the model perfectly. There is no way I could have got away with some of the more intricate cuts with the laser with 'kit standard' woods that are more open grained, like lime or walnut.

logo.jpg

I for one trust your judgement. Pearwood is a beautiful wood. 

Regards,

Glenn

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

Pearwood is a beautiful wood. 

I most definitely agree. It comes out beautifully with oil or wipe on Polly. It's very flexible and resistant to chipping/cracking and generally a pleasure to work with.

Pear wood was initially meant to be for the 'Master Shipwright' kits, but I realised very quickly that limewood was way too fragile for the type of designs I had in mind, plus I winced when seeing close up shots of the limewood parts, being quite open grained. This is OK if the parts are to be painted and the parts are prepped correctly, otherwise, I just didn't like it and realised that if the kits were to be a little different from the more 'commercial' kits I have designed in the past, I must invest in better quality (closer grained and less fragile) woods.

Once I got to know the properties of pear better, this opened a lot more options for me, like pre-cut drift rails, which would have been a disaster in more open grained woods, with parts breaking when just trying to remove the parts from their retention tabs (One of the main reasons I always endeavour to place the tabs along the grain, rather than against it).

logo.jpg

Chris, have you tried to work with poplar? Seems to have the boxwood characteristic and easy to find and buy. Slightly more dense but beautiful too.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry