7 hours ago, chris watton said:

This is 1mm thick x 5mm wide limewood, much easier to work with than 1.5mm thick lime (Took a day to plank and 20 minutes to sand).

There's nothing worse than wrestling with planks that are too thick! 1mm wide limewood will be wonderful to work with but it does mean that you need to have the bulkheads faired properly so that you don't sand through the planking when trying to smooth out any bulges in the hull. Don't ask me how I know this!

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Looking great, more and more interesting as you go.  

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Chris,

I just noticed that this model has spirketting on the bulwarks; am I correct that this is a first for your kit designs (Vanguard)?

One other question: is there a reason to NOT include properly spiled, laser cut hull planking?

Your progress is impressive. Many are going to be interested in building this model!

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Amati Victory has 'Spirketting', but no etching detail.

For Sphinx, I am working on a laser cut main wale with properly spiled etching, like the spirketting.

Truth is, if this were sub contracted, there's no way I could afford the costs of the extra laser work, and it is only now, now that I know the capabilities of my laser machine intimately, that I feel confident in including this kind of detail in my future kits. 

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

OK, Jim (Hatch) has put together the three mini coat kits that will be standard for the Sphinx kit, a 22' yawl (£24), 24' launch (£25.50) and 28' pinnace (£28.50). And he has done a marvellous job, I think.

I am hoping to have a few of each in stock next week, to buy individually, as Jim is doing a little online (PDF) build manual for each.

The 18'cutter is also getting a small revamp, in keeping with the new releases. The boat kits will have extensive laser cut parts, in pearwood (0.6 and 1mm), including laser cut pear oars, thwarts/stern sheets and gunwales if applicable,  and MDF bulkheads and building base. The keel for all new boats is 1mm pear, to keep the scale look, plus a PE sheet for the finer detail (floor/gratings and 'iron work)

A little later, I will have a 36 and 34' launch, 32' barge and 32' pinnace, and finally a 36' admirals barge, which will be suited for a larger model with the single boat on/in the waist

ships boat 1.jpg

ships boat 2.jpg

ships boat 3.jpg

ships boat 4.jpg

ships boat 5.jpg

ships boat 6.jpg

ships boat 7.jpg

logo.jpg

33 minutes ago, chris watton said:

OK, Jim (Hatch) has put together the three mini coat kits that will be standard for the Sphinx kit, a 22' yawl (£24), 24' launch (£25.50) and 28' pinnace (£28.50). And he has done a marvellous job, I think.

I am hoping to have a few of each in stock next week, to buy individually, as Jim is doing a little online (PDF) build manual for each.

The 18'cutter is also getting a small revamp, in keeping with the new releases. The boat kits will have extensive laser cut parts, in pearwood (0.6 and 1mm), including laser cut pear oars, thwarts/stern sheets and gunwales if applicable,  and MDF bulkheads and building base. The keel for all new boats is 1mm pear, to keep the scale look, plus a PE sheet for the finer detail (floor/gratings and 'iron work)

A little later, I will have a 36 and 34' launch, 32' barge and 32' pinnace, and finally a 36' admirals barge, which will be suited for a larger model with the single boat on/in the waist

ships boat 1.jpg

ships boat 2.jpg

ships boat 3.jpg

ships boat 4.jpg

ships boat 5.jpg

ships boat 6.jpg

ships boat 7.jpg

22 minutes ago, Tom V said:

Was the Sphinx in the same class of ship as the Suprise or  which was larger,  also love the  small boats thanks

No, Sphinx is a small 20 gun post ship, a miniature frigate in looks, and very mid 1770's. Surprise is two decades later, and in reality a French corvette, although larger than Sphinx, she was still considered too small for a frigate by that time, hence her very short active life after capture (in reality). Surprise would have had a launch and pinnace, but not a yawl, I do not think, as this was replaced by the cutter, around 24 foot in length.

logo.jpg

OK, again, thanks to Jim, I have three of the boats ready for sale (or sail...). Only limited stock, though, as I only ordered a few PE sheets for each, in case of any changes required, but there weren't any..

Ship’s Boats (various types) – VANGUARD MODELS

logo.jpg

Did you move the location of the 18 foot cutter? At least on mobile I was unable to find it; simply looking to print the instructions off for when mine arrives.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Did you move the location of the 18 foot cutter? At least on mobile I was unable to find it; simply looking to print the instructions off for when mine arrives.

Thanks

cutter-manual.pdf (vanguardmodels.co.uk)

:)

logo.jpg

I now have the slightly reworked 18' cutter online (again, thanks to Jim Hatch), This, in line with some of the other small boats, has a 1mm pearwood keel and laser cut pearwood oars and 0.6mm pearwood planking, so it looks more in scale, despite its diminutive size.

Ship’s Boats (various types) – VANGUARD MODELS

There will be another 4 boats ready in the next week or so, a 26  and 34 foot launch, 32 foot pinnace and 32 foot barge. There will be the 36 foot Admirals barge in the next couple of months, and will probably finish off the range with a couple of larger cutters that are to be found on the later 18th/early 19th Century vessels.

I am still working on Sphinx, it's one of those frustrating and hated stages where I spend a hell of a lot of time doing seemingly very little, but I have to go through it. Even more for this development, due to the extra details and the headaches they cause trying to make sure the building of the model is as easy as I can make it..

I am once again furloughed from my day job for the next two weeks, so hopefully I can put this bonus time to good use..

ships boat 8.jpg

ships boat 9.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Sorry about your furlough, but I guess that's good for us since there is more time for Sphinx.  

If they can just get the vaccine rolled out faster than they have so far.... 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Only 64th scale. These are all mini kits that will be included in my future main kits. I wanted them to be kits in themselves, and not the usual afterthought to the main kit.

I have little time to re draw each one for 72nd scale, it would double my costs, especially when it comes to the photo etched parts, which are never cheap anyway (nor is the pear).

I think that when I have a healthy range of kits, I will have the luxury of looking at more fittings in different scales, but for now, I am concentrating exclusively on subjects in 1:64th scale.

I will have three sizes of stern lantern soon, with a fully detailed cast resin top and bottom and photo etched frames in between, sold per pair.

logo.jpg

Hi Chris,

The new cutter looks a big improvement on the original, I like the inclusion of the Pearwood keel, and thinner planking, also the inclusion of the wooden oars.

Fitting the wash strake as part of the normal planking before the Rowlocks are cut is a much better approach.

The text at Instruction 28 needs amending from anchor to Rowlock.

I look forward to making your Yawl mini kit which should be arriving today.

Cheers,

B.E.

Edited by Blue Ensign

Just the smallest of updates, I now have three sizes of stern lantern available. They come in pairs and consist of a cast resin top and bottom, and fold-around photo etch frame that fits in between. Simple things, but the castings are quite detailed, especially compared to my past efforts, a turned top and bottom on the lathe and cast in white metal..

Lanterns – VANGUARD MODELS

Sizes are (height):

• SMALL – 17.8mm
  • MEDIUM – 21.3mm
  • LARGE – 23.7mm

Also included a pic of the laser cut parts for the 36 foot admirals barge (over 160mm long), that I cut today, but am waiting for the PE sheets to arrive.

Lantern 1.jpg

Lantern 2.jpg

Lantern 3.jpg

36 foot barge new parts.JPG

logo.jpg

4 minutes ago, xodar461 said:

Hi Chris,

Would any of your boat kits or lanterns work for the Revenge kit you designed or would they be too "advanced" for that period?

Jeff 

(build log for the Revenge under xodar461)

Revenge is almost 200 years before the intended fittings shown. I am not sure if boats were towed permanently for a vessel of Revenge's era. The lantern castings are of a typical mid to late 18th Century pattern.

logo.jpg

Just received a pic of the samples I asked to have made for the boat beam 'U' shaped brackets. These were initially problematic for me, as I intended to produce them in PE, but the issue was that they stand proud of the gangway by about 1.5mm. I figured the best way to do these is a one piece casting, to ensure they all maintain the correct height.

Development continues...

72.JPG

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

23 hours ago, chris watton said:

Two more almost ready...

ships boat 10.jpg

Hi Chris,

I noticed you are very busy. Thus, only a short question. Maybe a silly question, but is my calculation correct?: 28 feet = 9, 2 m /scale 1:64= 14 cm? I am asking because I would like to order one and hesitating about the correct size for my ship 1:64 scale. Moreover, there are a lot of reports in the German radio and TV declare that British products are very difficult or even impossible to deliver to the continent  not because of Corona but because of Brexit. I hope you are not affected.

Clark

4 minutes ago, Clark said:

Hi Chris,

I noticed you are very busy. Thus, only a short question. Maybe a silly question, but is my calculation correct?: 28 feet = 9, 2 m /scale 1:64= 14 cm? I am asking because I would like to order one and hesitating about the correct size for my ship 1:64 scale. Moreover, there are a lot of reports in the German radio and TV declare that British products are very difficult or even impossible to deliver to the continent  not because of Corona but because of Brexit. I hope you are not affected.

Clark

I bought the plans from NMM and scaled the lines to the correct size to get profiles. I certainly wasn't going to change them.

Full size, the 28 foot equates to 8534.4mm Divide this by 64 and you get 133.35mm. This is more or less the keel length of my 64th scale 28 foot cutter. Not sure where you're getting the 140mm from.

I am still shipping to EU countries, seems to be a lot of scare mongering right now.

logo.jpg

38 minutes ago, chris watton said:

I bought the plans from NMM and scaled the lines to the correct size to get profiles. I certainly wasn't going to change them.

Full size, the 28 foot equates to 8534.4mm Divide this by 64 and you get 133.35mm. This is more or less the keel length of my 64th scale 28 foot cutter. Not sure where you're getting the 140mm from.

I am still shipping to EU countries, seems to be a lot of scare mongering right now.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the rapid anser. I took a wrong conversion factor foot into m.

Again Thanks,

Clark

41 minutes ago, chris watton said:

you might be still shipping to the continent Chris, but customs charges that your customers are going to be hit with are no scaremongering. they are a harsh reality. or as us remainers liked to call it: Project Reality. i hope you can still continue posting to the EU. some retailers have already said they wont be doing so. 

it would be a loss to the modelling world if you went out of business due to the customers sending goods back. some retailers are already feeling the effects very bad.

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...