I am here, but I have no internet or phone line until at least next Tuesday. We bought a pay as you go wi-fi dongle thingy, so I could at least reply to emails and book all orders to be posted.

I am still working long and hard on Sphinx. All photo etch designs will be complete within two weeks, and I am hoping the laser cut designs will be complete very soon.  This is a lot more complex than the other kits, and requires a lot more development time.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

1 hour ago, Jim Rogers said:

Please share your expertise.

What he said 😄

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I like to demonstrate my lack of nautical knowledge. I have no clue which boats are which and why there are 8 different ones...boat..oars...long...short apparently doesn’t cover it😂🤣

here is some of the answers Ship's boat - Wikipedia

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

5 hours ago, James H said:

He's told me to tell you he has been without internet/phone for a couple of days, and his business relies on it of course. 

In his area, even the mobile telephone signal is really poor too.

All should be sorted early next week.

Thanks James - of course I’ve also got used to building boats at super-human speed.

4 hours ago, chris watton said:

I am here, but I have no internet or phone line until at least next Tuesday. We bought a pay as you go wi-fi dongle thingy, so I could at least reply to emails and book all orders to be posted.

I am still working long and hard on Sphinx. All photo etch designs will be complete within two weeks, and I am hoping the laser cut designs will be complete very soon.  This is a lot more complex than the other kits, and requires a lot more development time.

Hoorah! I’m sure you are steaming along, so we’ll just have to wait until bandwidth arrives.

10 hours ago, Mike_H said:

Hoorah! I’m sure you are steaming along, so we’ll just have to wait until bandwidth arrives.

Cheers :)

My broadband problems have zero effect on my work speed. What does have an effect is my full time day job. In the week, on work days, I work on the CAD designs before work, and on my days off, I work on the (pre) prototype model. A little slow, exacerbated by the sheer number and complexity of some parts compared to previous designs, but it's coming along.

Oh, one more thing, I forgot to mention, I asked my wood supplier if I could have 0.8 x 4mm pear for Sphinx, plus some sheets in the same thickness, as I feel the 1mm is a little too thick, and the 0.8 would be easier to manipulate. So for Sphinx, the wood thickness for laser cut will be 0.6, 0.8, 1, 1.5, 2, 3 and 4mm. Planking will be 1x5mm limewood first planking and then 0.8x4mm pear for second planking, but the planking does not start until just below the main wale.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

OK, just took a few pics of the pre-prototype model of Sphinx, so you can see where I am up to.

Please bear in mind that this model is disposable, no paint, no varnish, it has been dropped a couple of times, as the starboard  forecastle bulkhead can testify, and no PE as yet, which is why I have just use brass rod for the chain pump handles, just to make sure all holes for this align correctly. This is just to make sure designed parts fit, and if not, changed and replaced.

Today I glued the forecastle and quarterdeck beams in place, and finished the final deck engraving designs for the forecastle. I think once upper decks are fixed, my only real design job is for the inner upper bulwarks.

Sphinx pre proto 1.jpg

Sphinx pre proto 5.jpg

Sphinx pre proto 6.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Looks excellent Chris! The thought of you throwing it out makes me cringe!!

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

You sir - in approximately 7 years time when I have finished my Speedy model - can take my money. 

Seriously though, this looks like it will be such a neat kit. Looking forward to it. 

Current build: HMS Speedy, Vanguard Models 1:64

Past Projects: 18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways, 1:48

22 Foot Yawl, Vanguard Models, 1:64

WOW... This is going to be an incredible kit, no doubt about it.  This prototype is just the throw away model... 😂

4 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

The thought of you throwing it out makes me cringe!!

Neither did dropping it a couple of times do much for me!

Looking forward to this build! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

18 hours ago, chris watton said:

OK, just took a few pics of the pre-prototype model of Sphinx, so you can see where I am up to.

Please bear in mind that this model is disposable, no paint, no varnish, it has been dropped a couple of times, as the starboard  forecastle bulkhead can testify, and no PE as yet, which is why I have just use brass rod for the chain pump handles, just to make sure all holes for this align correctly. This is just to make sure designed parts fit, and if not, changed and replaced.

Today I glued the forecastle and quarterdeck beams in place, and finished the final deck engraving designs for the forecastle. I think once upper decks are fixed, my only real design job is for the inner upper bulwarks.

Sphinx pre proto 1.jpg

Sphinx pre proto 5.jpg

Sphinx pre proto 6.jpg

18032671-50A9-435D-8898-CA96060B347A.jpeg

is this sort of framework also present on the real ship? in same configuration? if so, it would not be so hard to build this in semi-admiralty style with visible framework (at least the deck) and all the bells and whistles under the top decks... 

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

3 hours ago, maaaslo said:

is this sort of framework also present on the real ship? in same configuration? if so, it would not be so hard to build this in semi-admiralty style with visible framework (at least the deck) and all the bells and whistles under the top decks... 

That's the idea!

And yes, the upper deck beams are in their correct positions with correct spacing, according to the Sphinx Admiralty plans. These beams locate into slots on a pattern each side of the inner bulwarks, which in turn are slotted into the sides of the bulkheads, so there's zero chance of misalignment. No need to check every station with a rule...  

ETA - The gun deck bulkheads near the stern will have panelling detail on both sides, as they will be visible on the finished model.

For the upper decks, my idea is to just use the laser engraved maple veneer, as this will give scale deck plank thickness. However, I may also include a 0.8mm ply version for those who wish to have a more substantial underlay for the maple veneer deck, or simply want to plank it with their own choice of wood.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

2 hours ago, chris watton said:

That's the idea!

And yes, the upper deck beams are in their correct positions with correct spacing, according to the Sphinx Admiralty plans. These beams locate into slots on a pattern each side of the inner bulwarks, which in turn are slotted into the sides of the bulkheads, so there's zero chance of misalignment. No need to check every station with a rule...  

ETA - The gun deck bulkheads near the stern will have panelling detail on both sides, as they will be visible on the finished model.

For the upper decks, my idea is to just use the laser engraved maple veneer, as this will give scale deck plank thickness. However, I may also include a 0.8mm ply version for those who wish to have a more substantial underlay for the maple veneer deck, or simply want to plank it with their own choice of wood.

Love the idea of being able to have an option to plank ourselves. Something very satisfying to me to doing that myself even if it isn’t quite as perfect as the laser engraved pattern. 

14 hours ago, chris watton said:

also include a 0.8mm ply version

That’s a great idea, I may not decide which way to go until I reach that point, it will be nice to have that option.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

OK, I have now finished with the 'pre-prototype' model, and have all the info I need. A lot of small changes have been made, so this model shows (many) mistakes that the prototype model will not have. What is shown is around 95% of the hull laser cut parts and the castings.

For the boat beams, the U shaped brackets presented a problem. I was going to do them in PE, but wasn't happy with them, as they protrude above the gangway by around 1.5mm. So, these are now perfectly scaled 3-d printed parts, using a very tough resin, and are the kit versions. A very small detail, but happy with the result. The gangway has changed since these pics, with the widest part nearest the quarterdeck moved back a few mm, so the ladders are in between the cannon.

The slots in the quarterdeck were moved back a lot further, in order to show the chequered deck pattern in the aft cabin. Ladders are cut in 0.6mm pear, and look much better, scale-wise. The catheads are made from 5 laser cut and engraved parts each, otherwise they would have looked pretty basic..

Al PE is done and sent off to Italy to be produced for the prototype model, and I now have the task of part numbering everything and doing a full parts list, followed by starting on the CAD drawings for plans... 

Sphinx pre proto 10.jpg

Sphinx pre proto 11.jpg

Sphinx pre proto 12.jpg

Sphinx pre proto 13.jpg

Sphinx pre proto 14.jpg

Sphinx pre proto 15.jpg

Sphinx pre proto 16.jpg

Sphinx pre proto 17.jpg

Sphinx pre proto 18.jpg

Sphinx pre proto 19.jpg

logo.jpg

Very nice, especially with the deck beams exposed. I wish you would suggest doing one of those kits in quarter scale.

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

An amazing development turnaround considering  the quality and detail..

You should have a corner on this market, for awhile, anyway..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon