Don't know about cornering the market, I just want to develop stuff I like, and see how far I can go without the restraints of developing for other manufactures.

I do know that having a kit like this so pre-cut (for the hull, only the lime and pearwood planking is used, and only at below main wale level, everything above this is fully pre-cut parts), is time consuming to develop, and material heavy. This will have around 35 individual laser cut sheets, and 5 large PE sheets in 0.2, 0.4 and 0.6mm. However, having so many parts doesn't necessarily mean complex, it just means there's a lot less for the modeller to make themselves. I hope...

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

10 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Don't know about cornering the market, I just want to develop stuff I like, and see how far I can go without the restraints of developing for other manufactures.

I do know that having a kit like this so pre-cut (for the hull, only the lime and pearwood planking is used, and only at below main wale level, everything above this is fully pre-cut parts), is time consuming to develop, and material heavy. This will have around 35 individual laser cut sheets, and 5 large PE sheets in 0.2, 0.4 and 0.6mm. However, having so many parts doesn't necessarily mean complex, it just means there's a lot less for the modeller to make themselves. I hope...

Do you think there would be any market for letting the builder select which pre cut sheets they’d like, but include the plans with dimensions for the smaller pieces?  That way they can scratch the parts they want and it may ease some of the production time/cost for you in some regards.  Not sure of the logistics this may require, or if it’s feasible, but it was a thought that crossed my mind 

can’t wait to see the final product on this one 

Tim

Current Build: Amati HMS Fly, First Time Builder, 2020

Well, what a beauty.  And absolutely worth the wait for the update.  I was telling myself that I would wait for the model after Sphinx (since Snake has some time to go).  But now I'm not so sure, she is so damned beautiful.  I think we should all recognise that detail and quality of the kind you are offering won't be cheap, but I certainly hope there is high demand and decent margins for you, meaning that making this your full-time job becomes realistic.   Just imagine what choice we would have then!

Super job Chris!

And now, what will you develop for us next until we are building Sphinx? 

Edit.

And i guess James will do the manual? James please prioritizeas people are waiting :) .

Edited by Wahka_est

51 minutes ago, TimC said:

Do you think there would be any market for letting the builder select which pre cut sheets they’d like, but include the plans with dimensions for the smaller pieces?  That way they can scratch the parts they want and it may ease some of the production time/cost for you in some regards.  Not sure of the logistics this may require, or if it’s feasible, but it was a thought that crossed my mind 

can’t wait to see the final product on this one 

Tim

Hi Tim,

No, I buy enough materials for a certain amount of complete kits. If I started messing around with different options, it would get messy. I still have a full time day job, so I would rather use what time I have developing complete kits.

I can sell certain items individually like cannon or boats, but not the actual kit laser cut parts. The only extra for Sphinx will be the pearwood blocks and deadeyes. Other than that, it will be a 'full fat' package with everything to make the model and three ships boats included. 

24 minutes ago, Mike_H said:

Well, what a beauty.  And absolutely worth the wait for the update.  I was telling myself that I would wait for the model after Sphinx (since Snake has some time to go).  But now I'm not so sure, she is so damned beautiful.  I think we should all recognise that detail and quality of the kind you are offering won't be cheap, but I certainly hope there is high demand and decent margins for you, meaning that making this your full-time job becomes realistic.   Just imagine what choice we would have then!

Thank you! I think for the even larger kits, I will revert back to 'standard' designs, due to costs. But I don't mean other manufacturers 'standard', I mean something like my Victory designs 'standard'. This means I will probably have planking strips for deck planking and most of the hull will be conventionally planked, rather than pre-cut/engraved. The designs for Sphinx have been an evolution from the fishing boats to Duchess to Sphinx.

I fear the costs for a 64th scale heavy frigate and larger models still would be too prohibitive, and Sphinx is the absolute limit I dare push to. Even then, I will probably lose some sales due to the cost, as people will still ask why the high price, but I believe the right people will buy, those who enjoy making the models and like adding even more, stamping their own mark on the kit.

6 minutes ago, Wahka_est said:

Super job Chris!

And now, what will you develop for us next until we are building Sphinx? 

Edit.

And i guess James will do the manual? James please prioritizeas people are waiting :) .

Cheers :)

I will be developing an 18 gun brig after Sphinx, before starting on a much larger development (that I cannot wait to get my teeth into)

And yes, James will build the prototype, once I have cut all of the parts...

logo.jpg

6 minutes ago, chris watton said:

This means I will probably have planking strips for deck planking and most of the hull will be conventionally planked, rather than pre-cut/engraved.

Does this mean the Sphinx will have hull planks that are already spiled to fit correctly?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

2 minutes ago, BobG said:

Does this mean the Sphinx will have hull planks that are already spiled to fit correctly?

No, the hull planking starts at the lower edges of the main wale position. Here it is double planked using 1x5mm limewood and 0.8x4mm pearwood. This is the only planking you need to do.

logo.jpg

4 hours ago, chris watton said:

I buy enough materials for a certain amount of complete kits. If I started messing around with different options, it would get messy

Makes perfect sense.  One thing I know is that I’ll be in line once this ship is on the market.  Excellent work so far 

Current Build: Amati HMS Fly, First Time Builder, 2020

Chris,  the model is stunning!!   Question,,,,   the gratings on the forecastle appear to have square holes as normal with the battens and ledges, but those in the waist look like round holes.  Is this correct or is it just that the image is not clear and they are square holes?

Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

3 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Chris,  the model is stunning!!   Question,,,,   the gratings on the forecastle appear to have square holes as normal with the battens and ledges, but those in the waist look like round holes.  Is this correct or is it just that the image is not clear and they are square holes?

Thanks

Allan

They are most definitely square holes in ALL gratings, not round.

I am sending James Hatch the full suite of laser cut parts today, so I am sure he will take photos with more clarity.

Also, why the heck would I use round holes? lol 

logo.jpg

That's what I thought, but in the photos they looked round.  Thanks for all your hard work Chris

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 3 weeks later...

Chris,

I was just looking in on the Sphinx build and the stove caught my attention.

image.png.bab68ff008314d29406497d7670ac8b4.png

That looks like a great mini kit to offer in your store.

Any plans to offer things like this or your other kits like capstans, pumps & etc. ?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Hello Gregory.

I do plan to once I have a few sizes done. As the photo etch parts cost quite a lot of money, and I prefer to wait until I have at least three versions to fit on a single production sheet. Ideally, I need another a size below the one shown, and two or three larger, for frigates and line of battle ships.

Same applies to hand pumps, but I do currently offer some capstans and other fittings.

logo.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update. I ordered a few books that, for the most part, I have read and inspired some of the previous (and many future) model kit choices:

Books – VANGUARD MODELS

It was suggested to me from a MSW member that perhaps the brand new (just published) book on the life of the Duchess of Kingston may be a nice option for when purchasing the Duchess kit, so I ordered some of these too.

The first book to inspire me was Frigates, Sloops and Brigs, although I had the original separate books, Sloops and Brigs and The frigates, but the new book combines both. It was this book  (that I read and re-read) during my lunch hours at work that first introduced me to the Speedy.

Still working on Sphinx, but I have also started laser cutting some sheets that are final. There are so many sheets that I felt I need to get started as soon as I knew the sheets are OK and final..

Oh, forgot to say, I have had my Master-Korabel kits order delivered, so they are all back in stock, with blocks and deadeyes arriving in a week or so, I hope... 

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a very tiny update, I now have the complete selection of machined pear wood blocks back in stock.

Also, the kit packer and wife managed to break her leg last Monday, so I am having to help put orders together, so apologies in advance...

logo.jpg

Sorry to hear about her breaking her leg, Chris.   I hope recovery and healing go well with no complications.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Sorry to hear about her breaking her leg, Chris.   I hope recovery and healing go well with no complications.

Thank you :)

She had an X-Ray and CT scan, so surgery required, just a brace for the next six weeks. It is actually her knee she broke, carrying the dog down the stairs and slipping, but managing to protect the dog..

So, I shall be helping with all orders..

logo.jpg

Take care of her and yourself, Chris. Sorry to hear about the accident, glad it wasn't worse.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Geez...what a bummer. I hope she heals well and quickly. Oh the things we'll do for our furry, best friends!

My wife and I were hiking recently in the mountains outside of Tucson, Arizona, with my brother-in-law and his wife. My sister-in-law slipped on a rock crossing a stream and broke her fibula down by her ankle. We had to call for a rescue since she could not bear weight on her leg and it was too painful for her when we tried to assist her to hop along on one leg. The Tucson Volunteer Mountain Rescue Group were fantastic in getting her out. Fortunately, she didn't require surgery, just a boot for 8 weeks. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Sorry to hear Chris, sounds like a long recovery. Hope it all goes well from here.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

hope wife is better soon, my boi is asking why i dont carry him down the stairs

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Best wishes to your wife Chris. I’m just glad we live in a bungalow (and have a small dog!) 🐾

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thank you for all the kind comments!

I made a mistake in one of my posts, it should have read 'No surgery required', I omitted the No!

It is the top of  the 'Tibial Plateau', and wasn't so misaligned that surgery would be required 

logo.jpg