Just read the fantastic Sphinx instruction download book, and looking forward to the kits delivery. I wonder what 'big' project Chris will tackle next?  Whatever it is I will be very much looking forward to following its development.  

Malcolm     

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

21 minutes ago, Malcolm Greig said:

Just read the fantastic Sphinx instruction download book, and looking forward to the kits delivery. I wonder what 'big' project Chris will tackle next?  Whatever it is I will be very much looking forward to following its development.  

Malcolm     

Cheers! 

For the next big one (and it will be big), I am torn between three possibilities, and flit between them depending on mood..

I do know that next is two English West Country fishing vessels (and very pleasing lines they have, too), and then a medium sized kit of a detailed 18 gun brig (20 foot longer than Flirt/Speedy Class). Then, I have to make up my mind on the big kit.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

57 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Cheers! 

For the next big one (and it will be big), I am torn between three possibilities, and flit between them depending on mood..

I do know that next is two English West Country fishing vessels (and very pleasing lines they have, too), and then a medium sized kit of a detailed 18 gun brig (20 foot longer than Flirt/Speedy Class). Then, I have to make up my mind on the big kit.

Leopard, or any other contemporary 2-Decker in 1:64 :P

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

HMS Bristol, a sister to the later built Leopard, was to be my second kit in the range. However, things changed a lot after Alert. You see, I was going to have all my laser cutting done in Italy, using ply, MDF and limewood, and castings in white metal, again, all from Italy.

When the fist Alert parts arrived, I knew immediately that this is not the way I want to go, looking forward. The laser cut lime was about as robust as tissue paper, and the white metal castings looked nothing like the masters I had made. This is when I decided to use much better materials for all future kits, and since then, I have been establishing more contacts for suppliers. This did mean I needed a rethink of immediate developments, and the decision to purchase my own laser machine, as sub contract costs would have been crippling for the type and amount of cutting I had in mind.

The reason Bristol was put back is because the cost of the materials alone would have cleaned me out (at that time). The second reason is that I really need 2 laser machines before starting this, and one needs more power and a larger bed, for the thicker materials needed. I am now in a position where I could carry on with this, but my real love/yearning is for a large frigate before this. But all of Bristol's carvings have already been done, as is the armament, plus bulkheads, decks and all general hull lines already worked out.

FullSizeRender right.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

decoration front.jpg

logo.jpg

57 minutes ago, chris watton said:

HMS Bristol, a sister to the later built Leopard, was to be my second kit in the range. However, things changed a lot after Alert. You see, I was going to have all my laser cutting done in Italy, using ply, MDF and limewood, and castings in white metal, again, all from Italy.

When the fist Alert parts arrived, I knew immediately that this is not the way I want to go, looking forward. The laser cut lime was about as robust as tissue paper, and the white metal castings looked nothing like the masters I had made. This is when I decided to use much better materials for all future kits, and since then, I have been establishing more contacts for suppliers. This did mean I needed a rethink of immediate developments, and the decision to purchase my own laser machine, as sub contract costs would have been crippling for the type and amount of cutting I had in mind.

The reason Bristol was put back is because the cost of the materials alone would have cleaned me out (at that time). The second reason is that I really need 2 laser machines before starting this, and one needs more power and a larger bed, for the thicker materials needed. I am now in a position where I could carry on with this, but my real love/yearning is for a large frigate before this. But all of Bristol's carvings have already been done, as is the armament, plus bulkheads, decks and all general hull lines already worked out.

FullSizeRender right.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

decoration front.jpg

Lovely !

Jacek

8 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Nice work Chris! Are you doing your own 3-d carving or contracting it?

JJ

I contract it to professionals. Anything that I am not comfortable with, or know that someone would do a much better job, I sub contract. Master carvings are very important, so the one off cost of getting a pro to do them is perfectly acceptable to me. I know well how to design the kits, but have never really tried my hand at real carvings.

So Bristol carvings have already been paid for.

logo.jpg

Chris,

Your output is absolutely amazing!!! Just when do you sleep????

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

Bristol is a great choice.

19 hours ago, chris watton said:

FullSizeRender right.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

decoration front.jpg

Current build: Lady Nelson

i await your large built,  

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

18 hours ago, Richard44 said:

Chris,

Your output is absolutely amazing!!! Just when do you sleep????

Cheers

A large part of that is down to James hatch, who has helped build the final prototypes and taken all pictures for the construction, plus text. This really does help with continuing new developments while that last one is still being worked on.

Regarding larger kits in the future, today, this is one giant step closer, as I have ordered a second laser machine. This is not cheap, but I know it is exactly what I want, and I did promise that any money from sales is invested straight back into the business. The laser machine has a larger bed, so I can cut material of 800x600mm, rather than 600x400mm, and it is twice as powerful, being 80w. It is due for delivery in October, after the refurbishment of our garage next month, to make it into more of a proper unit that dilapidated hell hole..

On the Sphinx front, my wife, Chantelle and made up the 50 kits (that's a lot of boxes)! and now we wait for the printed manuals, plans and box label to arrive.

I would have loved to have a full printed box for all my kits, but the costs are frankly comical, and no way worth it when considering they would add £100 to kit price! What Sphinx does have is a very strong double walled box, which will keep the parts safe during shipping. That, coupled with Chan's careful packing of the parts should ensure the kits arrive in perfect condition (We have learned a lot since our first Alert kit..)

logo.jpg

12 minutes ago, chris watton said:

...as I have ordered a second laser machine.

Disgraceful! Was the Playstation 5 not enough? 😆

On the Sphinx front, my wife, Chantelle and made up the 50 kits (that's a lot of boxes)! and now we wait for the printed manuals, plans and box label to arrive.

...of which there are only FOUR kits left of this initial run. Get 'em while you can 😜

If you want an idea about the kit, check out the instruction manual: https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/hms-sphinx-1775/

16 minutes ago, chris watton said:

A large part of that is down to James hatch, who has helped build the final prototypes and taken all pictures for the construction, plus text. This really does help with continuing new developments while that last one is still being worked on.

Regarding larger kits in the future, today, this is one giant step closer, as I have ordered a second laser machine. This is not cheap, but I know it is exactly what I want, and I did promise that any money from sales is invested straight back into the business. The laser machine has a larger bed, so I can cut material of 800x600mm, rather than 600x400mm, and it is twice as powerful, being 80w. It is due for delivery in October, after the refurbishment of our garage next month, to make it into more of a proper unit that dilapidated hell hole..

I would have loved to have a full printed box for all my kits, but the costs are frankly comical, and no way worth it when considering they would add £100 to kit price! What Sphinx does have is a very strong double walled box, which will keep the parts safe during shipping. That, coupled with Chan's careful packing of the parts should ensure the kits arrive in perfect condition (We have learned a lot since our first Alert kit..)

i never thought that the box art would add so much to the cost of a kit, this could be another way ahead for others to copy (you certainly are leading the way ahead in the wired clan) lol

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

34 minutes ago, chris watton said:The laser machine has a larger bed, so I can cut material of 800x600mm, rather than 600x400mm, and it is twice as powerful, being 80w. It is due for delivery in October, after the refurbishment of our garage next month, to make it into more of a proper unit that dilapidated hell hole..

Plenty big enough for the Royal George you have been thinking off 😉 I was at the NMM  Greenwich today and she is currently on display in the Nelson, Navy and Nation exhibit, unfortunately against a wall so you don’t see the planked side, but still a beautiful model.

Gary

56 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Well done Chantelle, quite a mammoth  task I would imagine.👏🏻

I hope you are now fully recovered from your leg break and are firing on all four.

I look forward to receiving the fruits of your labours in the very near future.

Thank you,

B.E.

49 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Plenty big enough for the Royal George you have been thinking off 😉 I was at the NMM  Greenwich today and she is currently on display in the Nelson, Navy and Nation exhibit, unfortunately against a wall so you don’t see the planked side, but still a beautiful model.

Gary

That certainly is on the list, but as it will be a 2 year development, and carvings will cost a small fortune, I have to wait.

Next big one - Phoebe (36), Indefatigable (need I say more..) or Bristol?

logo.jpg

22 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Well done Chantelle, quite a mammoth  task I would imagine.👏🏻

I hope you are now fully recovered from your leg break and are firing on all four.

I look forward to receiving the fruits of your labours in the very near future.

Thank you,

B.E.

She has, thank you :) Still putting kits together as I type!

logo.jpg

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

She has, thank you :) Still putting kits together as I type!

you mean you wont let sit down and watch one of those programmes where everyone is in the pub and no one owns a washing machine

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

4 hours ago, chris watton said:

Well any, or all?  My heart shouts Indy - for her exploits under Pellew, for exemplifying the Royal Navy in the French and Napoleonic wars, for being the first ship of that period who’s name I knew (courtesy of CS Forester, when I was 12), but most of all for her muscular proportions and looks.  My head says - where the hell would you put it, she’s huge?  Heart wins this one.  But heart also loves the detail of Sphinx, and Chris seemed to have doubts about doing that level of detail on a larger ship.  But perhaps, seeing how Sphinxes have flown our the virtual pre-order door, doubts have also flown.

10 hours ago, chris watton said:

That certainly is on the list, but as it will be a 2 year development, and carvings will cost a small fortune, I have to wait.

Any of those 3 would be great really, the 1/64 lineup you started needs bigger Ships 

Although my affection for the Leopard says Bristol (you could always make a poll) 

Edited by Jasseji

Jacek

Just been working away on my two new prototype (well, pre-prototypes) fishing boats. Thought I'd share some (bad) pics. They are now both double planked, with decks in place along with the bulwark timber frames.

Nisha, the smaller vessel, has just had her gunwale fitted, with Erycina (the larger, ex cutter turned fishing ketch) about to have hers fitted.

I have gone a little further with these, compared to the Fifie and Zulu, with the outer bulwarks pre cut and etched (as well as the inner bulwarks, which have the timberhead positions pre etched). So planking starts at just below deck level. They are also easier to plank. 

I note that some who built the Fifie and Zulu added detail below the main deck, so with these two, I have included the lower deck platform to the correct height, and included ladders for the companionways, if you wish to show companion door open.

Pic not great, and builds are quick and a little rough but these, like my Sphinx pre-prototype are 'throw away' models, and used only to make sure designs work as they should, and change where required. The real prototypes will be made later, once I am happy the designs are nailed down, which is now pretty close. No varnish applied, and both have just been sanded, so look a little dusty.

As with the Fifie and Zulu, they will have optional pre made sail sets, 4 for Nisha and 5 for Erycina. 

Oh, I used that flexible masking tape for the white boot topping, it was great!

Nisha 1.JPG

Nisha 2.JPG

Fishers 2.jpg

Fishers 3.jpg

Fishers 4.jpg

Fishers 5.jpg

Fishers 6.jpg

logo.jpg

1 minute ago, Neill said:

"Throwaway", they look good to me.

They do look nice, but lack the 'polish' of a proper display model, I cut corners, as my main concern is seeing if the parts fit as designed. there are some that don't, and will be changed slightly for Jim's parts.

logo.jpg

Those are really nice looking fishing boats! I like working vessels like these very much and I'm so glad you're willing to create some models that aren't warships. I think these are going to be very popular. Time for me to add a room onto our small house!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

10 minutes ago, BobG said:

Those are really nice looking fishing boats! I like working vessels like these very much and I'm so glad you're willing to create some models that aren't warships. I think these are going to be very popular. Time for me to add a room onto our small house!

There is one I may do called 'Saucy Jack', a Barking Fish carrier!

logo.jpg