Lovely figure, Chris. Like others have stated, I hope you do some more of them. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi, (Just back from day job..)

I do not want to do pre orders until I have everything for the kit here with me. It should take no more than a week to have everything here, and we can start putting the kits together, but I do not want to add a pre order until I am certain of release/shipping dates.

The kits will be available to order via my new website (Thanks to Steve Urwin, a long standing MSW member):

https://vanguardmodels.com/

This will grow as more products are added - there will be the figures available in a couple of month's time, Speedy by September I hope, along with more fittings (18 foot cutter kit in 64th, copper plates (PE) and maybe scale hand pumps (PE for scale detail), and some wood strip.

But for now, I am working all hours I can on the brig sloop Speedy and then,  when the Alert materials arrive, I shall have to switch to that, but all other times, I am trying my best to get more kits out as quick as I can (which still isn't quick due to the amount of work, even for the smaller kits). I sometimes think it would be nice to have someone else build the prototype kits, but then I realise this is an important part of development, as I can identify major problems and deal with them on the fly. Right now, I think it's bed time..

Cheers,

Chris

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Just thought I'd mention that I am developing Speedy as she probably appeared under the command of Cochrane in the early 1800's and not as launched in 1782.

I think this excellent painting (which I purchased a signed copy of) shows her quite well in her later guise, with a few later mast and rig implementations (flying jib boom, iron bands only on lower masts and dolphin striker)

Speedy.jpg

logo.jpg

It looks like you have a nice pile of scrap wood that needs to be disposed of..

I will be by shortly to get it out of your way....

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

9 hours ago, bear said:

Ahoy Chris

PLEASE make figures in 1/48 scale also!!!! There's a lot of Cheerful's and other 1/48 ships without a Captain to add scale to our builds. I wish you were making 1/48 sized kits too,I would buy them!!!

Thanks Keith

99% completed 9-15-2018 005.JPG

That is beautiful!, and looks perfect to me. I will get some 48th figures done, not quite yet, as I have to watch my pennies, I have budgeted enough or the development of the first three kits, and after this, I am hoping I sell enough to invest all profits back into the rest of the developments I want to do.

5 hours ago, Kurt Johnson said:

Chris, How closely does your Alert compair with Peter Goodwin’s AOS version?

Kurt

Quite close. I did have to make a couple of compromises to ensure less experienced modeller's wouldn't end up pulling their hair out, but nothing that any experienced modeller wouldn't be able to change, and certainly nothing major. All fittings and lines were taken from the book.

54 minutes ago, JToma said:

That doesn't look like enough boxes 😀

Would be great if it weren't enough!

46 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

We're going to need more boxes.

sharp-list-quint-hat-feat.jpg

Brilliant!

logo.jpg

Put me down for one please, I think.

I'm hoping the price showing on your site is a default figure,

I believe you don't have an actual price as yet.

Will be an honour to do the first off the line

Thanks Chris

6 minutes ago, Cabbie said:

Put me down for one please, I think.

I'm hoping the price showing on your site is a default figure,

I believe you don't have an actual price as yet.

Will be an honour to do the first off the line

Thanks Chris

I am waiting for final invoices to come in, no price yet, but I am aware that it needs to be reasonable..

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Congrats Chris,

what a beautiful developed kit....

NIls

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Just received a pic of the 3-d printed 64th scale Cochrane figure. I will keep the base as they will be resin cast (more expensive than white metal, but next to no shrinkage, which I think is important) , so if people want to fix directly to the deck, the base can be filed off.

Cochrane figure 3 d printed.jpg

logo.jpg

20 hours ago, Kurt Johnson said:

Hey, no jumping to the head of the line. 😉

Howdy Kurt I wouldn't dare do that, a bit of better grammar

would help, should have been, of the line.

The line of ships that Chris is going to produce.😀

Besides you are closer than me and will beat me to the front anyway.

Cheers Chris

Edited by Cabbie

7 hours ago, el cid said:

Wow! The Cochrane figure is fantastic. Any chance you might produce other period crew figures of similar quality?

Cheers,

Keith

Cheers,

I am not a fan of too many figures on scale models unless a diorama, but I liked the idea of having a known commander that is connected with the vessel that also helps shows the scale of the ship in relation to a person. I do plan to have a Nelson next, followed by Pellew.

Having said that, it may be fun to have an able seamen figure and name him 'Jack Nasty Face'!

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

I suspect there’s a market for high quality period figures, there’s just not much available now.  With the advent of 3D printing, well-designed figures could be scaled up or down as needed. Can figures be designed as digital models directly or do you still have to sculpt a prototype? If digital only, maybe more economically feasible.

FWIW,

Keith 

24 minutes ago, el cid said:

I suspect there’s a market for high quality period figures, there’s just not much available now.  With the advent of 3D printing, well-designed figures could be scaled up or down as needed. Can figures be designed as digital models directly or do you still have to sculpt a prototype? If digital only, maybe more economically feasible.

FWIW,

Keith 

The sculpting's are 100% digital. The STL files are then passed onto my resin caster, who then 3-d prints the masters into tangible form which are then used to make the moulds for the resin production castings. These should be virtually identical in both size and detail to the 3-d printed master. So will remain at the required scale, in this case, 64th, and not something like 1:78th by the time they are passed onto the customer if using cast white metal..

logo.jpg

On 5/25/2019 at 8:43 AM, el cid said:

I suspect there’s a market for high quality period figures

I do also, but Chris needs to be cautious while building a small business. Chris, your initial plan sounds good, my suggestion is to keep adding figures to those available at a slow pace that won't distract you from your main kit development goals, and continue to do so as long as they sell reasonably well. Go captains > say three crew figures > lieutenant > bosun > more crew figures. And even if French ships aren't on the docket, if the rest of the figures sell well I would think about doing the same for the French navy.

The argument for is that even though I'm not much interested in figures, I've seen thread after thread of people looking for quality figures and not finding much. I think we rarely see figures on ship models partially because there isn't a viable option to put figures on deck of a similar quality to that of the ship build.

The other argument is if no one is really serving this market, it's possible without too much cost and difficulty to become the premiere supplier. And that drives traffic to your site from people looking for figures, and a portion of them end up buying ships too.

I would like to find a source of good period sailors, particularly in 1/72 scale.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Just had a sample of a laser engraved deck for Speedy arrive. I know how difficult it is to get the planking right, more so on smaller vessels where the planks bend and taper at the extremes. The engraving isn't as heavy as they were on the Mercury, and look almost drawn on with a pencil, a lot more unobtrusive. This will be done on 0.8mm plywood. What do you think?

Speedy laser engraved deck 1.jpg

Speedy laser engraved deck 2.jpg

Speedy laser engraved deck 3.jpg

Speedy laser engraved deck 4.jpg

logo.jpg