6 hours ago, chris watton said:

OK, I have done all I can for Flirt right now, so the past couple of days I have been designing sets of two scales of cannon carriages, which will be laser cut in 1.5 pear (for 4-9 pounders) and 2mm pear for 12-32 pounders.

Sizes will be (in both 72nd and 64th)

1.5mm Pear, (sold in pairs)

4-Pounder Carriage

6-Pounder Carriage

9-Pounder Carriage

2mm Pear, (sold in pairs)

12-Pounder Carriage

18-Pounder Carriage

24-Pounder Carriage

32-Pounder Carriage

What’s the anticipated availability for these Chris? I have several projects present and future these would complement.

Gary

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

What’s the anticipated availability for these Chris? I have several projects present and future these would complement.

Gary

I plan to start laser cutting them over this weekend. I have no PE parts to go with them (yet), so they will come as laser cut parts only, with the carriage sides, axles, wheels and quoin. I figured that most who may buy them may want them to replace what they have in their kits.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

10 hours ago, Bobbuild said:

Chris

Are the cannon carriages something we should think about in replacing or substituting them for those on Speedy and Alert kits. Any difference?

Thanks

I am happy with the 4 and 6 pounders for Speedy and Alert, no need to replace them as they're the same as what's in the kit!

logo.jpg

OK, lots of laser cutting today, plus re-designing the capstans for separate kits. The whelps are now slotted into place to the top and bottom discs, so will always be perfectly aligned.

The single capstan is a standard 64th scale type (20mm high), and the double is a 72nd scale lower and upper deck capstan, suited to most mid-late 18th Century ships of the line. Lower pawls are 2mm pear (5) and upper pawls are 1.5mm (6). I will offer these as separate fittings once I have sorted a few minor things. They are shown pictured with no gluing, all dry-fitted immediately after being laser cut, so may look a little 'loose'...

Also managed to laser cut the first sets of 64th scale cannon carriages (will do 72nd scale tomorrow), and sets of cleats from 6-14.5mm 

Oh, and at the last minute, I thought I'd do a couple of binnacles, in 64th and 72nd

The binnacles are available right now: https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/binnacles/ 

20mm capstan 2.jpg

72nd double capstan 1.jpg

72nd double capstan 2.jpg

64th scale cannon carriages.jpg

14.5mm Cleat set of 4.jpg

Binnacle 1.jpg

logo.jpg

Oh that binnacle is tempting, I assume it would fit nicely on the Alert? I’m also curious if you have any thoughts one what could be used to cover the openings in the first version of the etched deck for the Alert? I picked up the gratings so they are extraneous (and I believe you removed them in the second version). I could drop a rope could in each, but maybe a bucket or something else would be more interesting?

5 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Oh that binnacle is tempting, I assume it would fit nicely on the Alert? I’m also curious if you have any thoughts one what could be used to cover the openings in the first version of the etched deck for the Alert? I picked up the gratings so they are extraneous (and I believe you removed them in the second version). I could drop a rope could in each, but maybe a bucket or something else would be more interesting?

Coils of rope or buckets sound like good solutions! I guess the binnacle could be used on Alert, I know Jim is going to see where it can fit on his Flirt build.

logo.jpg

The binnacle looks very nice, and would  be a fine addition to the Pegasus kit, for those who prefer not to scratch one themselves.

I'm not sure that style of binnacle would sit right on Alert, there is very little space between the tiller end and the  skylight, and it would have to straddle or sit on the Bread Room grating/ cover.

I thought about  making a single chamber version, but decided against it.

B.E.

Edited by Blue Ensign

4 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

The binnacle looks very nice, and would  be a fine addition to the Pegasus kit, for those who prefer not to scratch one themselves.

I'm not sure that style of binnacle would sit right on Alert, there is very little space between the tiller end and the  skylight, and it would have to straddle or sit on the Bread Room grating/ cover.

I thought about  making a single chamber version, but decided against it.

B.E.

I think I'll be adding one to Flirt.

1 hour ago, pythagoras said:

Hello Chris,

Just ordered the Lady Eleanor. Can you approximate shipping time to Florida?

Very much looking forward to my first Vanguard model.

Thanks,

Pythagoras (Tom)

It took my order less than a week to get to Utah.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

13 minutes ago, pythagoras said:

Thanks Jeff. that great service!  Can you believe that UPS just e-mailed me and said I had a package from England arriving by the end of day Thurs.

5/14/20. I'll believe it when I see it.

Pythagoras(Tom)

I can confirm you should receive the kit Thursday, latest Friday (but should be Thursday). UPS are picking it up from me tomorrow (was too late for a pick up today). And thank you!

Regarding the binnacle, there is nowhere for it to go on Alert, I am sure it would have had a smaller cabinet, if at all, anyway.

logo.jpg

45 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Regarding the binnacle, there is nowhere for it to go on Alert, I am sure it would have had a smaller cabinet, if at all, anyway.

For a later build then; I recall Dirk adding one to his Sherbourne and thought that it might be a nice detail here as well.

3 hours ago, pythagoras said:

Just ordered the Lady Eleanor.

2 hours ago, JToma said:

t took my order less than a week to get to Utah.

I hope both of you will start build logs on your Lady Eleanor models. I'd love to follow along. She's on my tick list at some point soon.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Right, all new fittings have been laser cut and some are already available on the website, with the cannon and capstans coming online very soon.

I just finished cutting the final capstan parts, the 20mm high 64th single and the 72nd scale double. Both come with a length of walnut dowel long enough for the capstans and well over a full deck down.

Also, I have just started laser cutting the standard Flirt parts, starting with 1mm pearwood. I cut these one sheet at a time (same as the Master Shipwright parts in boxwood) and check each carefully after cutting. I have added a pic of the first sheet cut, both top and bottom views, using my new magnetic 'nail bed'

1mm Flirt production bottom.jpg

1mm Flirt production top.jpg

20mm capstan 01.jpg

72nd double capstan 01.jpg

logo.jpg

The Flirt is looking great, Chris. I'm looking forward to watching James build her. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Cheers! I hope to have the Flirt photo etched stuff from Italy in a couple of weeks.

I added one more capstan kit to my fittings inventory, a 64th scale double capstan (from a future 74 development). All laser cut fittings are in pearwood, not sure if I mentioned that...

logo.jpg

Chris,

Your kits look awesome!  Do you include sail plans with your kits?

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

24 minutes ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Chris,

Your kits look awesome!  Do you include sail plans with your kits?

Thank you :)

There are sail plans for Alert and the two fishing vessels, but not for Speedy.

As a rule, I do not like sails on larger kits (although I think they suit smaller vessels more). I did sail plans for Vanguard when at Amati, and I have never seen a single finished Vanguard kit (or Bellerophon or Elephant) with sails attached.

If enough ask for them, though, I would include.

logo.jpg

I have not decided on my Canons to Speedy yet but if i decide to rig them do anybody have any suggestions suitable supplies? Or perhaps Vanguards are thinking of any future upgrade kit?

Edited by Vane

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

For Flirt, I am including 90 x 2mm single blocks for cannon rigging (anything bigger would look ridiculously over scale next to the carriages) and crowsfeet. For the MS version, I will be including 2.5mm 2 hole pearwood blocks for the cannon rigging. Both sets of blocks are on order, but the Master-Korabel blocks (and my darned Zulu sail sets) will not be available until Russia opens up again, which will be very soon I hope.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

On 4/18/2020 at 9:30 AM, chris watton said:

I will probably do Alert's sister, Rattlesnake at some point, but completely new designs, but no plans for any 48th scale stuff, I want to stick with 64th. The next 6 kits are all planned out and are all 64th.

Thanks, Chris!  I’m a new convert to wood ships, but a very, very long time modeler.

I, for one, seriously appreciate you sticking to one scale. It adds to the continuity and realism of a display area as it slowly gets filled out. 

For me, 1/64 it is. I can’t see it changing for me at all.  Continuity or scale is everything to me.

On the bench:  Vanguard Models 1/64 HMS Speedy

On Deck:

Vanguard Models 1/64 Zulu,

Vanguard Models 1/64 Fifie,

Victory Models 1/72 HMS Bellerophon 

On 4/18/2020 at 7:30 AM, chris watton said:

The next 6 kits are all planned out and are all 64th.

I'm really happy that you decided to add the two wonderful fishing vessels to your line of kits and it seems that will be very busy with 6 more kits already in line next.

I would love to see you consider making a kit for Shakleton's Endurance someday. Surprisingly, I don't think there has ever been a wood kit made of her. I believe a high quality kit of the Endurance would be extremely popular since It is such a legendary ship and the true story of her tragic voyage is so compelling. Not only that but she is a beautiful ship as well. She would certainly diversify your line up of kits too!500333926_ScreenShot2020-05-17at7_34_26PM.thumb.png.d0a1e4743b5478442b2e83b67e18ec0e.png

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

7 hours ago, BobG said:

I'm really happy that you decided to add the two wonderful fishing vessels to your line of kits and it seems that will be very busy with 6 more kits already in line next.

I would love to see you consider making a kit for Shakleton's Endurance someday. Surprisingly, I don't think there has ever been a wood kit made of her. I believe a high quality kit of the Endurance would be extremely popular since It is such a legendary ship and the true story of her tragic voyage is so compelling. Not only that but she is a beautiful ship as well. She would certainly diversify your line up of kits too!500333926_ScreenShot2020-05-17at7_34_26PM.thumb.png.d0a1e4743b5478442b2e83b67e18ec0e.png

Cheers Bob, and Ernie!

Maybe one day, but I have to be honest, Victorian era ships do not get my juices running so much. My real passion is from mid 18th to very early 19th Century. There seems to a model kit of Endurance already (above)?, I really do not want to develop subjects that are already catered for (unless there are old subjects I have done in the distant past I would like to re-visit and 'make right' and do proper justice to).

With that in mind, after my next kit, I will be concentrating on frigates and ships of the line - graceful lines and no smoke stacks. At least for now.

ETA - I have added loads of new laser cut fittings over the past week or so, shroud cleats were added yesterday. I am working on a 64th and 72nd scale Brodie Stove, which will be laser cut and a lot of PE. Same with ships boats, but may do these as and when they are added to kits. If there's anything else you think I could do, let me know, laser cutting and PE stuff is no problem. 

logo.jpg

Tehnoart (based in Riga, Latvia) had a limited edition resin/brass/fiberglass kit of Endurance out a couple of years ago.  Unfortunately the company is no more and I think there were only a dozen or two kits available of that ship.   This is a link to an article about one build of that kit:  https://www.expeditions.com/blog/edurance-model-ship-ken-greenwood/

Bob

current build                               past builds

Mayflower - Model Shipways - 1:76.8                              USS Peary (DD 226) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:96 (gallery)

upcoming builds                                                                     USS DeHaven (DD 727) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:192

Statenjacht - Kolderstok - 1:50                                            USS Robert E. Peary (FF 1073) - 1:250

Fluytschip - Kolderstok - 1:72