Pretty sure there isn’t a POF in the works for quite a while.... the Sphinx is POB for sure, from the gun deck up its stick built - but not POF..... I think.....

Chris - I am curious if it would be possible to add one piece of information on the website (way too late for the boxes obviously) for all your models.  Hull size.

Every model lists 'overall' size, but it's really hard (at least for me) to get a real grasp on the size of a model by looking at the pictures and only knowing that it's 580mm 'overall' because of how much of that length is in the masting.  I would love if manufacturers would start listing the hull length in addition to the overall length, it would really help people like me to visualize the true size of the bit that I would be working on!

Thanks!

It is funny, I always used to want to specify hull length and overall length, but no one ever wanted hull length, so that was dropped (but this was years ago)

For all future models, I will include both hull and overall measurements. Hull length for Duchess is around 445mm.

I have attached a couple of (bad) pics  of the cannon I had arrive yesterday. The cannon and carriage nearest the rule is the Sphynx short 9-pounder (7 foot), with a 32 pounder next to it.

The row of 4 cannon from bottom to top are the 9-pounder short, 6 pounder, 4 pounder and half pounder swivel. My picture taking isn't so good, and the details are hard to define, but they are detailed and I am more than happy with them. 

Also a pic of a new family member, and the reason I am having a couple of days off work to look after her. Trouble is, she's so naughty that I cannot even do any of my development stuff. As soon as my head is turned, she's causing mischief!

Finally, I just received confirmation from the printers that the Duchess printed materials will be with me at the end of next week, so all orders will be shipped either next Friday or the following Monday.

3 d print cannon 1.jpg

3 d print cannon 2.jpg

PJ and Willow.jpg

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

We had our dachshund Sam for twelve years, I miss that dog. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

and this is my excuse lol

IMG_7376.JPG

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I had better do an update for Duchess..

A 'small oversight' at our printers means that the 1:64 Duchess of Kingston royal yacht will now be released on Thursday 6th November instead of today. I can only apologise for this to our pre-order customers, but it is totally out of my control. This is the first time the printers have let me down, and I feel terrible.

My wife has agreed to have Thursday off work, so that when the printed material arrives on Thursday, they will be added to the kit contents and I shall book the UPS pick ups as soon as possible.

I promise it is worth waiting for, and almost two thirds of the stock has already been pre-ordered, so I had better order more castings sets and materials...

Thank you,

Chris

logo.jpg

Probably the most important thing in all of this is that you figure out a way to thank your wife for taking Thursday off work.  Maybe present her a gift of one of your kits? :D

Alan

23 minutes ago, knightyo said:

Probably the most important thing in all of this is that you figure out a way to thank your wife for taking Thursday off work.  Maybe present her a gift of one of your kits? :D

Alan

lol perhaps the answer is to have a day off in returns and enjoy being together

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

So the duchess will be loading boxes of the duchess. 😁

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

40 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

So the duchess will be loading boxes of the duchess. 😁

Nicely expressed...

I think Kevin's answer is a good idea. From what I saw in all the threads Chris' wife sincerely supports his passion and deserves a decent dinner or two (once this Covid issue is over). Thanks to both of you!

Cute dog, too!

All the best
Uwe

1 hour ago, Oboship said:

Nicely expressed...

I think Kevin's answer is a good idea. From what I saw in all the threads Chris' wife sincerely supports his passion and deserves a decent dinner or two (once this Covid issue is over). Thanks to both of you!

Cute dog, too!

All the best
Uwe

Chan is the one who calls the shots! Chris quakes when he asks her to make up the kits. 🤣

6 minutes ago, James H said:

Chan is the one who calls the shots! Chris quakes when he asks her to make up the kits. 🤣

Well - it seems we all strive to please the Admiralty....

31 minutes ago, James H said:

yep, she's the one that puts all the kits together, I wouldn't have a clue!

Oh, don't think I have mentioned this as they're not so big a deal -  all kits, including Duchess of Kingston have new thread for the small sizes, most small sizes being Gutermann. Also, every Duchess kit has a special coaster in black and white, with the yacht profile etched into the surface.

logo.jpg

14 minutes ago, chris watton said:

all kits, including Duchess of Kingston have new thread for the small sizes, most small sizes being Gutermann.

Nice! That’s a small touch that’ll go a long way I think.

Hi Chris. I am not sure if you have answered this question before, but do you have any plans of designing a modern day sailing yacht kit? Something like these (pics from http://www.yachtmodels.com/):

SY-Blue-Muse-Hinckley-Yacht-Model.jpg.86782a2090bc9e0f3781bb12ac07248e.jpg

SY-Tenacious-Windship-Trident-Ted-Hood-Younder-Cay-Yacht-Model.jpg.ba3ab41dc63dfcf27ff166c96545c3eb.jpg

SY-Windcrest-Hodgden-Fontaine-Yacht-Models.jpg

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Very nice model, and I love the looks, it is stunning. But I think a lot of the areas would be better suited to injection moulded parts, due to the shapes (not sure you could get away with included a few lengths of wood dowel to simulate those composite modern material masts and booms). Also, I want to concentrate on the classic age of sail era for my main kits for now, as this is my main area of interest.

logo.jpg

On 10/30/2020 at 5:56 PM, chris watton said:

the 1:64 Duchess of Kingston royal yacht will now be released on Thursday 6th November instead of today. I can only apologise for this to our pre-order customers, but it is totally out of my control.

No problem. It gives me a few more days to work out how I'm going to tell my wife she's bought this for my Christmas present!

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

OK, I finally had 17 boxes arrive just now, for the Duchess of Kingston plans, manual (81 pages) and box art.

We can now (well, my wife...) sort out the plans and manuals to put into the kits and I shall organise the UPS pick ups. All UK customers should receive by Tuesday, and outside UK a day or so later.

I had to re order more Speedy plans and manuals, which will be here next next, as I ran out of those...

logo.jpg

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

I had to re order more Speedy plans and manuals, which will be here next next, as I ran out of those...

You ready to quit your day job yet? :) 

Congratulations on this next release - I hope it sells well and helps fund Sphinx's development 😄

Regards,

Glenn

8 hours ago, ASAT said:

You ready to quit your day job yet? :) 

Not yet, although at times I am tempted, like now, just back from work and am dead...

7 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Congratulations on this next release - I hope it sells well and helps fund Sphinx's development 😄

Already had the Sphinx figurehead and stern decoration sculpted and paid for, and now with the resin casters. Slow work now, though, being back at work. This week I have been designing the boats (28 foot pinnace, 24 foot launch and 22 foot yawl), which will be included with the kit, but also make them available as mini kits, like the 18' cutter. Have done a 26 foot launch (for larger frigates) at the same time.

logo.jpg

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

designing the boats (28 foot pinnace, 24 foot launch and 22 foot yawl), which will be included with the kit,

Yikes 3 boats. The 4 on Vanguard took me forever, but I’m sure it will look great on the final product. 

Regards,

Glenn

My mind is blown by the fact that Chris has developed and brought to market at least 4 ships in the time that that it has taken me to build about 1/2 (or so) of one of his less complex ones 😂...