Well, I'm only on my first model (which will take me quite some time yet), but I've already decided my next model will be from Vanguard. Partly because I want to support you, partly because your models look great!

(I've actually got a whole plan for which models I want to do next including almost all Vanguards 🙂, but hey, at the rate i'm going that's probably more than ten years worth of modelling so we'll see about that 😃

Congratulations on your 2 year anniversary, you have done some great work!

Cheers, Pieter

Current build: Polaris (OcCre, 1:50)

• 3 weeks later...

Just another very small update, but a big one for me...

I have now left my day job to concentrate fully on Vanguard Models. It got to the point where something had to give, and Vanguard Models won out.

So, hopefully, I have made the right decision, and in the meantime and from this day forward, all of my time energy will be focused on new developments.

I still feel very apprehensive, as this is a new sensation for me, but felt I had to do this.

Also need to say a big thank you to Jim Hatch, who has helped with prototype models, photography and manual text immensely, meaning the kits have been finished a lot quicker than I could have hoped. When a development is complete, I make sure they are brought into the market as quickly as possible, and Jim has been a very big part of this, so credit where it is due.

So, because I do not have to worry about getting ready for a 12 hour shift, I think I will get all Sphinx CAD plans complete by the end of next week, which I will then send to Jim for the rigging (he already has all plans except rigging).

I am also most grateful to all of those who have bought my products, and making the decision to move full time developing new products easier.

ETA - My wife's leg/knee is healing well, and she can now get around without any aids!

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

This is no small update, congratulations!!

The modeling world got a big positive step forward today. Glad your wife is doing better as well. Now I know my Sphinx will be packed well for shipment to my door! 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Wish you all the best in your endeavor's Chris, I think you are truly re-invigorating the PoB kit market with some outstanding high quality kits, and also providing a source for quality scale mini-kits for many fittings that seem to have been missing in the market place.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Wishing you the best Chris.  I echo the sentiments of all the posts before me.  You definitely have the support of the ship modeling community.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

That’s great news Chris, and I join everyone in wishing you every success. 

My only concern is that you’re already developing models faster than I can build them. With you going full time I’ll never catch up!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Oh noooo... my list of ongoing projects and kit stash is already full... please dont work quicker! I need to complete more stuff before I can take on anything new!  But good luck with the company, great news!

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

THE DAY HAS ARIVED! 

Your kits are top notch and I have no doubt you made the right decision.  Looking forward to your future developments! (HMS Indefatigable please!) 

Thank you so much, guys, very much appreciated!

These new kits do need a lot of time spent on development, and with Sphinx, it needed a lot more than any kit I have done before, Victory included. It really is a mad kit!

Even full time working on these, larger kits will still require 6 months minimum development time, from conception to finished prototype, but I do plan to do a couple of smaller kits after Sphinx (including more ships boats, cutters etc.), before starting on a (really) big one. 

logo.jpg

20 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Chris, are you going to dabble with anything in 1:48 scale?

I have no plans for 48th scale kits in my initial list of future developments. I prefer to stick to one scale for now, more so when considering the larger vessels I wish to develop.

logo.jpg

Congratulations Chris.   I hope from here on you have nothing but success.  And it's great news about your wife's healing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Chris, Best of luck on your business decision.  You can see that everyone here is elated that you will be dedicating your efforts to Vanguard Models.  Keep it going!  Looks like your wife did indeed have a Speedy recovery.

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)

Congratulations Chris on this bold move and I wish you every success. The one down side of working for yourself is that you now have a slave driver for a boss! Great to hear of your wife’s recovery too. Perhaps she can put in a good word for you and negotiate some time off every now and then!

Congratulations!  Best of luck!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Here's to a long,  prosperous and productive future for Vanguard Models 😁

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Congratulations. I couldn't imagine how difficult it was working two full time jobs. 

We are in the golden age of model ship kits, thanks to Chris & Jim.  

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

Hi Chris, just wanted to add my congratulations to you.

Your Sphinx looks really good, your ideas and innovations will have this model as the new benchmark for model kits.

Until your next one!

Looking forward to see how you go about creating the Royal George.

All the best.

M.

Well done Chris.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Again, thank you so much for all of your kind comments, I am truly overwhelmed by all the comments! For my part, I shall endeavour to continue to develop new products that people would like (or don't even know they like yet..)

Today I received more stock for a few tools that were on back order. I now have the full range of finger/spring loaded sanders:

Modelcraft Spring-Loaded Finger Sanders, 10mm, 20mm, 25mm, 40mm (Medium Grade) – VANGUARD MODELS

Also a more robust pin pusher with adjustable depth stop:

Modelcraft Pin Pusher with adjustable depth stop – VANGUARD MODELS

logo.jpg