I think a sleeve over the box  or a stiffener on the inside perimeter of the box would go a long way to preserving your shipments from enthusiastic package handlers.  My box a only minor efforts from the shippers!  (They really should take more care)

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Chris: Just checked out your website and congrats on it now being active. I was happy to notice that you have the Bellona on your planned kits link. As a long standing member of the "release the Bellona as a kit" club, I eagerly awaits its release. I have been following your kit development over the years and glad to see your consistency in maintaining a standard of quality in kits as well as  your interest in getting interesting kits out there. 

Keep up the good work and dont hesitate to bump up the Bellona release date a few months or so! 🙂 

MIKE

Edited by Kusawa2000

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Ordered the Alert today despite having the Amati Revenge on the shelf, a 3/4 built Caldercraft Mars on the work bench (and the artesania latina Endeavor in the bin) but felt support of Chris and his efforts was something I'd like to be part of.   I'll state publicly that I will complete the Alert. It looks a little beauty.

Malcolm        

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

Chris,

Sorry that you’re new adventure had a mishap. I personally wasn’t very upset, and am more than satisfied with things. The speed that the kit got to me was amazing, I’ve gotten quite a number of things from the UK over the years and nothing had arrived that quickly before. It was out of your control. Someone at the one of the airports was having a bad day. A pallet probably slipped off of a forklift. I’m sure the kits were all bundled together and damaged at the same time and not individually. The kit is beautiful, by the way. I won’t even be inconvenienced in building her, because the part that broke isn’t needed until later on. Push come to shove, I could use the mate of that part to create a replacement. But it seems that you already have another on it’s way. Thanks to both you and your wife.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Chris,

And I, too, am not upset about the condition of the model.  I hope you did not take my earlier comments that way.  I just thought you would like to see pictures of the condition of the box, which you evidently did since you said you were sending some of the photos to UPS.  I think the model looks great, and I look forward to working on it, although it may be several months before I do so since I already have two models in the boatyard.  I think you are off to a great start with your company and I wish you all the best.  Jim 

Thanks guys :)

Of all the worries I had yesterday, damaged kits wasn't one of them. I was worried whether you guys would like the kit when you opened the box, never thought for a second they would arrive so beat up!

Also, it's mad that the US and Canadian guys receive their kits before the UK orders, I do not understand that!

I should be getting a quote for thick cardboard sleeves sometime today.

I did have some tiny boxes arrive today, for the figures, looks like these will be quite safe.

ETA - the Alert manual is a3 size, I chose this size because I knew I could just about fit the Alert 64th scale profiles on this size, so I could have everything, instruction and plans-wise all in one manual. Plus, I always hated how small the text kept getting in new kits, needing a microscope to read anything - I wanted to redress this...

Speedy will probably have an A4 manual and separate plan sheets for profiles and mast, yard and rigging, as that's a little bigger.

Figure in box.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Not a long journey, in my case, a mere 76 miles, but my Alert has arrived, delivered by UPS at 2pm.

DSC00278.thumb.JPG.f79e78d3d710a88100d55d19af7d55e3.JPG

Everything intact but I think it would save Chris some problems down the line if he does invest in a stronger box, the long sides gave little  support to protect the  contents.

DSC00280.thumb.JPG.2a245ec68501be349be507611051cfd2.JPG

Not had chance to fully  examine all the contents but the materials look good and I love the A3  instruction manual,  beautifully produced, and what a bonus for my tired old eyes.

Liked the touch of a personally addressed note inside the box.👍

Thank you Chris, I look forward to hopefully doing your Alert justice.

B.E.

Edited by Blue Ensign
Duplicate photo

Hi Guys, thank you for all of your comments.

I will say that this venture is a new experience for me, doing stuff that others did in the past like putting together the manuals, box art, kit packing etc. We will get better with experience, as some aspects of the kit I am doing for the first time, and is one hell of a learning curve.

The main priority right now is box strengthening and making sure all kits get to the customer in perfect condition.

logo.jpg

My Alert kit arrived today. The box survived the long journey and was in good shape. Everything inside the box looks excellent and I love the instructions.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Woo hoo, Mine arrived today delivered without warning by a courier company

but left at Aust post because i wasn't home to receive it.

Much quicker than I expected.

There was a bit of crush damage to the top of the box, but nothing is broken.

Yes, a stiffer cardboard sleeve or inner box is needed.

That aside, it looks an absolutely marvelous kit, huge instruction book,

extremely comprehensive, should be an absolute delight to build.

It is a real credit to you Chris to come up with a quality kit like this,

worth every aussie dollar i spent on it.

(no jokes about aussie dollars you lot)

And thanks to Spyglass for all the help he has given.20190621_172836.thumb.jpg.3854307993727e54d73a76fbb6e08536.jpg

Cheers Chris

Edited by Cabbie

3 hours ago, Cabbie said:

it looks an absolutely marvelous kit, huge instruction book,

extremely comprehensive, should be an absolute delight to build.

Think I may nick over to your place tonight Chris and check it out. If I bring my version of "Mermaid" with me we can compare notes!! 😉

Rick

Very cool!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Just thought I would mention that I have had talks with the nice people at  Master-Korabel  about their fantastic range of kits and fittings/blocks, and am very happy to announce that Vanguard Models will be the UK stockist for their fine products. I should have some stock arrive next week, with details going on our website soon.

logo.jpg

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

Just thought I would mention that I have had talks with the nice people at  Master-Korabel  about their fantastic range of kits and fittings/blocks, and am very happy to announce that Vanguard Models will be the UK stockist for their fine products. I should have some stock arrive next week, with details going on our website soon.

Would that save me money in importing one of his kits, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Ordered the Alert on Saturday, delivered today at lunchtime, great service. Also, the external sleeve is really substantial so no damage. I also like the internal packaging which unlike other manufacturers fills the box helping to protect the material and fittings in transit. Well done Chris. So what’s this ‘new third’ kit your teasing?

Gary

6 hours ago, chris watton said:

Absolutely!

Have decided of a slight change of tack for third Vanguard Models kit, Bristol will now be the forth kit.

Is it going to be the one that MSW FB fb was reviewing 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

2 hours ago, James H said:

No, that was the FIRST one! 🤣

Yes i got that wrong i was actually stalking your page James and saw the Fife build

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

10 hours ago, Morgan said:

Ordered the Alert on Saturday, delivered today at lunchtime, great service. Also, the external sleeve is really substantial so no damage. I also like the internal packaging which unlike other manufacturers fills the box helping to protect the material and fittings in transit. Well done Chris. So what’s this ‘new third’ kit your teasing?

Gary

Thank you, Gary. I am so pleased the external sleeves are doing their job. A nice company made them for me, after giving dimensions. I received them two days later.

The third kit is something that my head has been telling me to do, but my heart wants me to do Bristol a bigger 'wow' kit), but at this stage, the one I have chosen makes more sense, as it will be pretty...

logo.jpg

I agree, my Alert arrived all the way to New Zealand safe and sound (very well packaged). The kit contents and instruction manual look fantastic.  

Congratulations Chris on this kit.  What a great start.  

Malcolm

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx