Beginning, again...

Hello from Florida, USA.  I am embarking on my second beginning of modelling - work got in the way during the first "start".  So, now I have more time to devote to this very interesting hobby.  I am a third-generation modeler and have been waiting to do this, it seems like, forever.  I do have two small builds behind me - Midwest's "Maine Peapod" which I did in 2004 and my latest, Midwest's "Musgongus Bay Lobster Smack", finished last month.  For the Peapod, I had the good fortune of having my father around.  Since then he has passed and I had to struggle to finish the Lobster Smack.  That is:  until I realized that he had left the same exact boat behind.  So, I had something to help me - when I ran into problems, I was able to see how he did it :) 

I had started Amati's Nina back in the 1990's and never finished it.  I don't feel ready for that level of building, so my next boat is Constructo's Elidir (again, a boat that Dad left behind).  I think that it will be harder than the others - the instructions are translated and seem skimpier than Midwest's.  I've already encountered problems building Billing Boats building slip, due to poor instructions.  Do hope to find some help in these forums!

Lastly, I have a Boucher Flying Cloud, started by my grandfather in 1930-something.  It needs to be finished - definitely not ready for that!

(The attached photo is my father's Musgongus Bay Lobster Smack just behind mine.  He has better paint job, but I have better oar locks!  I used small spade terminal lugs and bent them slightly...)

Jan F.

Harry & Jan Lobster Smacks.jpg

Welcome to MSW, Jan.   Sounds like a good plan to me.  By all means start a build log for your Elidir as that will you tap into the knowledge and also a good way to make some friends.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gidday Jan and a warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

Fantastic to have three generations of builds.

I would encourage you to search the build logs for your model, or similar.

I think it a good idea to read the logs anyway as a means of focusing and problem solving.

I also would encourage you to ask questions when you are unsure or need clarification.

You have joined a site where there is a wealth of knowledge which most members freely share.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours,

Mark.