18th Century Armed Longboat by Sea Hoss - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Began this kit a couple days ago. Had a couple frames and the transom snap during the fairing process but no biggie, pinned and glued them back. Maybe a little too aggressive with the sanding... It seems that it will be a pleasurable little build. It's a nice scale to work with, my first wooden ship kit was MS's 1:48 version, very small! I plan on making some changes to this one, mostly color choices. I aim to make it look like the ship's boat on my Syren model. Also, I may play around with putting sails on this one. I think maybe half set or something like that, we'll see. I began by starting the garboard strake on frame G, seems like it will work out better there. Thanks to Arthur Wayne for the tips and problems to look out for as I move ahead.

1-Time to start.jpg

2-Keel and frames.jpg

3-Keel and frames.jpg

4- Very brittle.jpg

6- Garboard strakes.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10- Ready for 3rd strakes.jpg

9- Second strakes.jpg

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Hello Sea Hoss,

Welcome to the 18th Century Armed Long Boat group  😎 You are moving right along and it looks good. I’ll be following your log with interest. 

I am curious as to how starting your garboard at bulkhead G will work out as there are 12 strakes above the garboard and they have to fit into the rabbet at the bow. I don’t know if you will have to use drop planks or not. 

Paul

Cutty Sark, Scientific Models (no build log)

18th Century Armed Longboat, Model Shipways

Civil War Coffee Wagon and Limber, Model Shipways side project

New Bedford Whaleboat, Model Shipways

Civil War Gatling Gun, Model Shipways side project

Hi Dr PS, glad to be in the ALB group... My intentions on planking the hull are this: get the 3 lower and 2 uppers on, measure the gap at it's widest point, then figure how much material to remove from the strakes to fit at the bow. I'll use my small block plane for this, tapering a little from each. Hopefully it will work out well, I've done it this way in the past and seemed to work decently.

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

• 3 weeks later...

So, been slowly doing the hull planking. Ready now for sanding, filling, sanding ,sanding and then some more sanding...

13-planking done.jpg

Looking good!  Yes sanding and sanding and sanding but don’t eat too deeply into your planks. 😎

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Some more work on the Longboat. Sanded down the hull exterior, applied some Liquitex Modeling Paste to the divots and visible cracks, (stuff is hard, made with marble dust). Sanded and faired the interior. Decided to go for a flat and level floorboard layout, I would have built it that way anyways, that is what the cross members are for. Also decided on a granite grey interior below the soon to be painted, red upper section. I thought with all the natural stained parts in there, (thwarts, locker, floor boards and for and aft platforms), it may look interesting to have a little contrast. Next up is the red paint and so on. 

14-Frames cut free.jpg

15.jpg

16-Sanded and faired.jpg

17-Hull filled sanded.jpg

18.jpg

19- Grey inner hull.jpg

Looks like it’s coming along quite well. I’m curious as to how your decking is going to turn out. It sounds interesting.

Paul

Yes, that's where the granite grey paint came from, left over from the Picket boat. Although on that I added some black to darken it. I think it will look good all together Arthur. The Picket Boat was a cool build, large enough to get some good detail in there and great for adding some extra details to personalize it a bit! The steam power plant was a cool learning experience, I did quite a bit of researching looking at similar vessels from that time period. It also had the flat deck which sort of gave me the idea to do the same in the longboat. I just looked at the plans and photos of it and said to myself "I would have made the floor flat, better moving around" and since it is my model after all, it shall be flat! I'm planning on doing the cap rail red but the section on the outer hull beneath the cap will be black with a black rub rail. The hull will be white with a thin black waterline stripe. I think it will be good looking! I'm aiming for a copy of the ship's boat on my Syren model.

Very cool! I painted my oar locks black, having gotten the idea from your Syren model's longboat. I was thinking about going back and painting the top strake black as well, but have decided to leave it red. I think your color scheme is going to look very sharp. 

Current Build: Gunboat Philadelphia

Completed Build:  MS 18th Century Armed Longboat

Very nice , much better than mine. I had to paint the hull as the planking left much to be desired.

Dwight

current build : Fair America by Model Shipways

Completed Build : 18th Century Armed Longboat by Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Under the bench : Syren by Model Shipways ,, Rattlesnake by Model Shipways

No, we all seem to over criticize our work, I thought the same that yours would be tough to beat! DR PS is also doing a great job!

• 2 weeks later...

More completed... added 1/8 x 1/8 supports for the floor boards. Painted the interior granite gray. Painted the red band on the upper planks. Dry fitted and permanently secured the floor boards. Added coats of Polycrylic Satin and hit with 00 steel wool. I'm not sure if I like the "Barn Red" color. Maybe too dark? I'll consider using "Flag Red" that I also have on hand. I was reading ahead in the instructions and saw where the thwarts will be located. Seems like they will be too high, the crew's feet may well be dangling in the air? I guess I'll have to do some figuring, I think I have a model R.R. "G gauge"(I think that's 1/24 scale) resin figure somewhere, see how that looks. Well, I'll be adding more soon, take care.

26.jpg

25.jpg

24.jpg

23-Fitted.jpg

22-Test fit.jpg

21-Fitting Floor.jpg

20-Gray paint.jpg

They got posted in the wrong order?

very nice indeed, love the contrast

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Nice mod you have going. I will be following you progress as I am watching how it works out. 

Paul

Looking good, once you put cockpit and stem floors in it will really look cool. Hard to see how dark your barn red really is but if you intend to use the etched brass decorations the darker color will be a better contrast than the red I used. I don't know if the thwarts will be that high, a scale 6' tall human would be 3 inches tall and to my eye looks about right on my build. Keep up the great work!

Current Build: Gunboat Philadelphia

Completed Build:  MS 18th Century Armed Longboat

Thanks for the support and advice guys, hope mine looks at least as good as yours!

• 2 weeks later...

Little more completed, deck framing and templates for the decks...

27-Deck template.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

Installed fore and aft decks, the rear deck was a sh*t show! I just didn't plan properly. Had to put in more framing for support, did it in a rush (don't know why I was rushing) and began chasing my tail around to get the additional supports leveled out. But all is well... just the little bug-a-boos that make me say "wish I did this or wish I did that. Bottom line, looks good to me! Time for the riser and thwarts, yee haa...

32.jpg

30-Fore and aft decks.jpg

31.jpg

Did I read recently read that the gun mounts on this boat should have more reinforcement below the cap rail? I think they should. I mean" the cap rail shouldn't be the only thing taking the forces from the gun fire, right?" I think this was just an oversight. I will figure something that looks right.

Sea Hoss, I think you are right. I addressed this somewhat on my build. Not sure it is historically correct but from what I can gather, a lot of the armed longboats were retrofitted longboats. If that is so, I think we should have some wiggle room for invention. 

Paul

Ok, it was you I heard it from. Ya, I was looking at it and remembered reading that. Makes sense though. If not for the reinforcement, the guns recoil would probably take the crew out! Good catch Paul...

I can’t take the credit as the idea originated from Chuck in a post to Arthur. Then Arthur directed me to the reference 

Go to entry #55 and you will see where I got my approach. 

Paul

Of course it was Chuck, the man is a modeling encyclopedia! He helps out a lot of modelers really though...thanks Paul.

Some more work to post, put in thwart risers, thwarts and supports, put on mast support and mast foot, roughed in cockpit seats and will finish those up tomorrow I think.

33-Thwarts etc.jpg

34-Cockpit seats ruoghed in.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

More work done: While waiting for MS to send me the proper thickness basswood sheet to construct the cap rails, I went ahead with the windlass and handles, locker hinges, lift rings, rudder and tiller. I guess now I'll just continue along with the mast, gaff and bowsprit. That should keep me busy for a while...

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg