Zeehaen 1639 by flying_dutchman2 - 1:37.5 - Dutch Fluit of Explorer Abel J. Tasman

Thanks for all the likes and comments. 

It has been an interesting week, with some big mistakes on the bow. Made several horizontal and vertical templates to fit around the bow and nothing would line up. 

682414309_FluitZeehaenbowandsterntemplates.thumb.jpg.0b7ea56a8c47ac8d1b26ef6e19334b54.jpg

1664942518_FluitZeehaensterntempinaction.thumb.jpg.fd16a88b8d7ecdba2fb60fdeb9dedcb8.jpg

Then it dawned on me after a couple of days that the bow was 38mm too long. I had added an extra bulkhead to the ship. 

1418224445_FluitZeehaenbowtoolong.thumb.jpg.f6fdfd860d3c2ec2d3ff900b650e25b8.jpg

So I sawed it off, balsa cuts easy, and a bit of sanding it was ready for the little piece of the bow. 1910093816_FluitZeehaenbowcorrectlength.thumb.jpg.ce32d9eb2b5871011294bd94e11c7e6f.jpg

Resawed a new bulkhead # 95 and glued it to the balsa spacer. 

903624405_FluitZeehaenbowredo.thumb.jpg.2347824bfa1f77909f772aae0d6f4b22.jpg

Now it will dry. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Hello Marcus,

Great to see your start on the Zeehaen.  I love those Dutch ships. 

I too have the same books and like to brows through them so once in a while. 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I've worked on the Fluit with the great weather and my edible garden in full production which is in a need of my attention. Furthermore, in the last 4 weeks I have manned the woodworkers booth on 2 occasions. 

I entered my Boyer and the Windmill in the woodcraft catagory and won 1st place for the Windmill in the mixed woodcraft catagory and 1st place, Sweepstakes and Best of Show in the all woodcraft catagory. 

I glued balsa wood in between the bulkheads and started to shape the outside of the hull with very coarse sandpaper.

827350634_FluitZeehaenbuiltupside.thumb.jpg.54d8d792ee96f36cc2c24dc1c20bc272.jpg

20190808_153132.thumb.jpg.eb54b6b2be5025b757d83e80f16da837.jpg

Marcus 

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Congratulations, Markus.  You deserved it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...

Last Saturday I felt like I had an upset stomach and then spiked a temp of 103.

Went to the ER. After all the tests came back the CT Scan showed an enlarged, encapsulated, appendix which had ruptured as well. 

Got operated on it. Was in the hospital for 5 days. Now home and recuperating. 

Marcus 

9 hours ago, amateur said:

Oops.....

Good luck you were on it in time.

take care!

Jan

Doc said that if I had waited until the next day, I would have died. 

Marcus 

I'm happy you didn't wait on going in, Marcus.  Hope the recovery goes well and is uneventful.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ouch Marcus!  Glad you went to see medical help when you did.  Yeah, I remember going through the same thing when I worked for KLM in Amsterdam.  No fun, was out of work for 4 weeks, complications set in.

Take it slow Mark, the wood is patient.  Hope the recovery goes well and swift.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for all the well wishes. I am completely healed. Still need to take it easy. Not carrying 60lbs of goods, yet. 

Been sanding the outside of the hull which is now 90% complete. 

The stern will probably be the most difficult part. In the last month I have been looking at pictures of Fluits. In books and the Net. Staring at the curvature of the stern. I need to be able to visualize it in my head. 

Temporarily attached the stem, keel and stern to the ship. I need a decent fit before I permanently glue the pieces in place. 

1922721360_FluitZeehaenstemtemporary.thumb.jpg.379888eb93d60d027ee7433bdcc268e0.jpg

405789637_FluitZeehaenkeeltemporary.thumb.jpg.84a390787b3fbd8bf64f698a8ce4f237.jpg

1238383156_FluitZeehaensterntemporary.thumb.jpg.fcb8fa132dde8a92e23195f135329337.jpg

Marcus 

Your hull looks horrible :-)). Don't worry though, the planking will hide it all.

The trick with the planking is that you will have to judge the run of the wales only from the side. They all seem to have the same regular distances. But seen from above you get a varying width between some of the wales, especially in the aft part. It even needs extra planks there. Once you have those wales in the right place, nothing can go wrong.

Maybe this picture can give you a bit more information of how it works:

1637656659_DSC01701(Large).jpg.471d2fc4ef8c5a63b84e43c7095c45a1.jpg

As you see my hull looked terrible too, but the end result was satisfying.

Edited by Ab Hoving

18 hours ago, Ab Hoving said:

Your hull looks horrible :-)). Don't worry though, the planking will hide it all.

Thanks for the advice. All my hulls look like this one or worse and as you said, "the planking will hide it". 

Marcus 

Completed the sanding of the hull to its required shape and glued in the stem post, keel and stern piece. 

661159973_FluitZeehaensternpieceglued.thumb.jpg.2666d64b13ca1fbe4fa93c80a5b66883.jpg1406656677_FluitZeehaenstemglued.thumb.jpg.63c92d24332ef45cecde89d56294c9bc.jpg

From the above pictures on can see the extreme curves of both the stern and the bow. Should be a fun project planking them. 

Rough cut the top of the railings. 

282356986_FluitZeehaenroughcut.thumb.jpg.96d1dbeeb2c26f8191268dc3c6420d9e.jpg

The next step is to figure out where the wales are going to be. This is very important. Once wales are installed the rest of the planking is easy. 

Marcus 

How did I miss this build? I once played with the idea of doing a diorama of Tasman's ships anchored off Tasmania, but too many other projects to get past the idea stage.

Beautiful job, Marcus.

Steven

On 10/9/2019 at 6:22 PM, Louie da fly said:

How did I miss this build? I once played with the idea of doing a diorama of Tasman's ships anchored off Tasmania, but too many other projects to get past the idea stage.

Beautiful job, Marcus.

Steven

HI Steven, 

Thanks for the compliment. 

Your plan is what I have been thinking about since I got the plans and the book. 

One problem, it will be a huge display, something like 4x4x4 feet and I don't have the room for that. Need to donate it as soon as it is completed.

(I am getting ahead of myself) 

Marcus 

Guesstimated where the lower wale will be installed and marked it with narrow tape. The 3 lower wales are 6mm wide and 6mm apart from each other. The 2 upper wales are 10mm apart from each other. 

Lower wales green, pink and blue tape. Upper wales purple and brown tape. 

1651734704_FluitZeehaentapeguideforwales.thumb.jpg.7212d6598ddd700139af6314ed9c41a4.jpg

424957308_FluitZeehaentapeTempsforwales.thumb.jpg.46f5eaf949df813d68ab259942ce2517.jpg

Next exercise is to completely soak several pieces of walnut and bend them according to the flow of the tape and use as many pins needed until the wood is dry.  Once the wood is dry, remove tape and glue the wale in place. 

Marcus 

Edited by flying_dutchman2
Add

Wale installation.

So that the wale would follow the curve of the Fluit, I created 1cm long blocks with a hole in it. The hole is for a push pin.

1980291032_FluitZeehaensetupforwale.thumb.jpg.d7b9d29a31f3dfa3697fa3b1c3bd88b7.jpg

I line up a block to where the bottom edge of the walnut plank is to be. All blocks are push pinned Into a bulkhead. 

1700864280_FluitZeehaenpinsetupforwale.thumb.jpg.2eed3780051ef9af5a06a087ea7d22b0.jpg

Then I get 2 pieces of 2mm thick by 6mm wide by 50cm long walnut planks (soaked for several days in water) and slowly bend and push against the block each of the plank along the curve of the Fluit. The planks overlap and somewhere I lay them on top of each other and cut several notches so they will lay tightly together. 

1592488837_FluitZeehaenwaleinstallatstern.thumb.jpg.ad98a98e09d795193c057e6d03e4e367.jpg

1112470434_FluitZeehaeninstallwaleatbow.thumb.jpg.382b3f22c65c1e06c141d53faee441d5.jpg

This is the most challenging part of building the Fluit. Once that is done, the rest of the planking will be easy to install. 

Marcus 

1 hour ago, flying_dutchman2 said:

This is the most challenging part of building the Fluit. Once that is done, the rest of the planking will be easy to install. 

Marcus 

Marcus, I am convinced that many more challenging parts will follow.

Installed more wales on the hull. There are 5 wales on each side.

538760052_FluitZeehaen3wales.thumb.jpg.ece97e0a8b82d980f7f6f4b512327a52.jpg

Three wales equally spaced. 

1810913476_FluitZeehaen2ndwale.thumb.jpg.a83e8ff2d0cbb6fbf904c0c6154321d6.jpg

2 wales equally spaced. 

555281459_FluitZeehaenwalesonstern.thumb.jpg.cc1e1dc3c8f8c7e554747a1838b53796.jpg

Stern

663891374_FluitZeehaenwalesonbow.thumb.jpg.386551d55ed53b5714f40579a42c7ff7.jpg

Bow

Wales:

There will be 3 strips of 2mm thick glued on top of each other. Each wale will be 6mm thick and the wood is walnut. 

The rest of the ship: 

1st planking layer is basswood and second layer is cherry. What I like about cherry is that it darkens over time. 

Last month at the woodworkers club meeting I was given lots of walnut and cherry planks so that is the wood to be uses for planking. Furthermore, someone gave me a slab of basswood (12"x 12" x 2").  This wood I will use for the carvings. 

Marcus 

Edited by flying_dutchman2
Punctuation

Thanks for all the likes and comments. 

On both sides of the Fluit the lower 3 wales have been glued on. The 1st upper wale is pinned to the hull and drying. Towards the stern this plank has to be bend in two different directions. 

260906679_FluitZeehaen1stlayer4wales.thumb.jpg.64ca1b5d511f6a51bbdacd70e33edee8.jpgLots of pins used, a "PIN FOREST" 

1458016730_FluitZeehaen1stlayerof4wales.thumb.jpg.9ff6725b54d12587ba42ba3c9b542b4b.jpg

1464654994_FluitZeehaenStern1stlayer3wales.thumb.jpg.fa34816c62834a190e807644e15a707e.jpg

Stern. 

After the 3 lower wales with enough space between them for the 1st layer of planking, I should have done this differently. 

After the 1st lower wale, I should have installed a strip of basswood next to it and then a strip of walnut, etc.  Instead, I made little blocks and pinned those between the wales.

Complete Waste of Time!!  Oh Well....... 

Started planking the 1st layer with basswood started with strips next to the keel. I was going to follow the planking pattern from the Fluit pictures in the book but they are all different so I will follow the pattern from the Boyer which is similar to Fluit planking.

226752041_FluitZeehaenbottomplankingw.Bwood.thumb.jpg.280466ff22f53db479c3c1b95c8e1058.jpg

Marcus 

More planking of the 1st layer. Planking the area between the stern and where the poop deck is to be placed is a challenge. Basswood soaked for 4 days to get it thoroughly wet, then slowly bending it 2 ways and pinning it down with pushpin. Lots of pins used.

It is a tedious process. 

1567529726_FluitZeehaenplanking1stlayer.thumb.jpg.652e158402336c244eed1d5b670ff922.jpg

1315404018_FluitZeehaen1stlyrplanking.thumb.jpg.2c82cfc466e6045d219da93c6e87c740.jpg

Marcus 

Here is some more planking 😁, the walnut shows where the wales are going to be.

271183416_FluitZeehaen1stplanking2.thumb.jpg.b0f941af94baa1626389b01da1b2a31e.jpg

Getting a bit boring? 

There is progress...... 

793292748_FluitZeehaen1stplanking1.thumb.jpg.4237c1d0ec8ae1cb9caf936ea2eb7b81.jpg

1729778120_FluitZeehaen1stplanking3.thumb.jpg.9232a803e5caa1b432e3424e980329ed.jpg

676662877_FluitZeehaen1stplanking4.thumb.jpg.4e4752a213758cd91b13e71addba9ba9.jpg

Bow

1124761191_FluitZeehaen1stplanking5.thumb.jpg.0f53bad19ea4d634c6a4174263706581.jpg

Stern

Marcus 

More planking. This time, besides push pins there are clamps as well. Building up the back of the ship. 

1671882526_FluitZeehaen1stplankingpins.thumb.jpg.0d46a32784d59fa114112675408c5789.jpg

She is looking good, nice curved hips 😁.

1566870552_FluitZeehaen1stplankingcurvedstern.thumb.jpg.a25ee44e6699813dee517fc4bab61cc5.jpg

20191022_161310.thumb.jpg.4b28dc13a219740f1cbd0c61e1ba4b3f.jpg748263240_FluitZeehaen1stplankingcurvystern.thumb.jpg.f9f7c8a02a75db67dd65996ffc49016a.jpg

Not a straight line anywhere in the first layer of planking. 

Marcus 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the likes. 

I am going to try to explain this and if you don't understand, please feel free to ask questions. 

I wanted to plank the Fluit in similar ways as the models in the 17th century Dutch merchant ships book, pages 73 to 77 (look below, pictures from the book and the model). 

The wales were installed first and I followed the contours of the ship without a problem. 

1738727776_FluitZeehaen1curvdwalebk.thumb.jpg.e1702d87b58b758354f5e3517b3d23c0.jpg

626299290_FluitZeehaen1curvedwalemdl.thumb.jpg.404ff7b89d79632043d421ea8f74058a.jpg

Then started planking going up and down from the wales and there I got into trouble. Also planked few strokes away from the keel.

The models in the book show the following: the plank is at its lowest around the middle of the ship. 

It then slightly curves up towards the bow and the plank butt, ends up straight at the stem post.

1639914126_FluitZeehaen1curvedwalebk.thumb.jpg.af93cda6e1fb4af4883b6ea064371887.jpg

From the bottom wale going up, planking is easy to execute, lots of curves but nothing extreme.

From the bottom wale going down, every planking strip becomes difficult to execute. Not only curved like a 'smile', but the plank is also curved inward (when you hold a plank by its sides with your thumb and pointing finger and putting pressure on the fingers to bowe the plank lengthwise).

All plank butts, end up on an angle against both stern post and stem post on the model.

This is not like the models in the book.

1912139960_FluitZeehaen2strghtplnksbk.thumb.jpg.5f2b3b9c386190bf32b6a4e5beefd161.jpg

1083949576_FluitZeehaen2angldplnksmdl.thumb.jpg.b3b6c2d185ff8e783b35d3afd83bab63.jpg

Bow

1575337154_FluitZeehaen4plnkssthtbk.thumb.jpg.a4e972dea78a88630f67c3d3ed7dc5ff.jpg

790424367_FluitZeehaen4angldplnksmdl.thumb.jpg.a80a4a07d3c9e9e871dc5abeff623688.jpg

Stern

In the book the stern area is much more bowed then my model. The models in the book have fat hips, whereas my model has skinny hips. It still curves. (I'll figure this out when I built my next sectional Fluit, just the bow and the stern).

669617562_FluitZeehaen3hipsinbk.thumb.jpg.73e83bedde20e6755fa96e1f58714f2a.jpg

Fat hips

720043964_FluitZeehaen3hipsonmodel.thumb.jpg.76abd1995aeb1c48df0c99eb06799b70.jpg

Skinny hips 

1575337154_FluitZeehaen4plnkssthtbk.thumb.jpg.a4e972dea78a88630f67c3d3ed7dc5ff.jpg

Fat hips 

Furthermore, when I cut out the stern bulkhead #5, #10, #15 and #20 and spaced them 38mm of each other it was what the plans looked like.

Looking at the models in the book bulkhead #0 (if there is such a thing) is the same width as bulkhead #5.

Conclusion 

I read on other forums that planking a Fluit was a difficult exercise. (maybe I should have built a Cat first, which is similar to a Fluit).

I cut out the bulkheads correctly and lined them up with spaces correctly.

I am just not getting the fat hips.

I could start all over......... not doing that. 

I could saw (cut off) her where bulkhead #30 is and recreate the ship from bulkhead 5 to 30 with bigger hips.

Leave the ship as is and install the second layer of planking like what the book shows.

See if it is possible to built up both the bow and stern to get the results (bigger hips) of what is in the book.

If you got this far, thank you for reading.

Marcus

Fluit, Zeehaen 4 plks strht bk.jpg

Leave as is and build up.  That’s my vote.  I did it with my Victory using wood putty.

I shaped it with a Stanley hand plane.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I'm seeing fat hip.   Try taking a sheet or two paper and hang them straight now from water line.  I think you'll see them.  Either way, follow Phil's advice.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: