Mi24D Hind by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Halinski - 1:33 scale - CARD - Russian Attack Helicopter

Hi all, 

My latest Card model - A Halinski kit of a Russian Mi24D Helicopter. Here are the pics of the cover page, 2 of the 3 pages of the  laser-cut pieces, resin wheels and a preformed canopy :

IMG_5776.JPG

IMG_5777.JPG

IMG_5778.JPG

IMG_5779.JPG

This is going to be my most difficult card model to date. There are over 4,000 pieces (HMS Hood had about 2,500), some of them half the size of the smallest I've done so far. This should be FUN :D .

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

This will be good,       I saw the Czech AF  fly these  at IAT airshow UK back in the 90s   - what a machine.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

a great challenge in card Danny,

and I wish youall the best and good success with this project

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

on board as well :)    this should be so cool!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you all :) .

The start of the build is the cabin. The laser-cut parts are perfect, much better than I could cut by hand in 0.5mm and 1.0mm card. Here is the main framing :

IMG_5848.JPG

IMG_5849.JPG

Two of the instrument panels. These have some very small parts. The gauge panel is laminated in 3 parts - the gauges, a very thin piece of clear acrylic from a cigarette packet, and the fascia which has been punched for the gauges :

IMG_5852.JPG

IMG_5850.JPG

IMG_5851.JPG

The axe and fire extinguisher took me half a day to make :

IMG_5853.JPG

The panels fitted to the cabin :

IMG_5854.JPG

IMG_5855.JPG

IMG_5856.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Excellent start  so much detail.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I found this link to a mi24d  in a uk museum  - scroll down past the  first two pics, and there are some  good close up and interior  pics.

http://www.comtourist.com/history/helicopter-museum/photos-helicopter-museum/page/2/

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

you've really taken off with this one Danny..........look'in superb!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks for the very timely link OC, I'm at that very stage with my model and couldn't work out where a couple of pieces went. The pics clarified it for me :) .

Danny

Cheers, Danny

3 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

Thanks for the very timely link OC, I'm at that very stage with my model and couldn't work out where a couple of pieces went. The pics clarified it for me :) .

Danny

So pleased to help danny.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The cabin is loaded with small details. These are some examples :

IMG_5857.JPG

IMG_5858.JPG

IMG_5859.JPG

IMG_5864.JPG

IMG_5869.JPG

IMG_5870.JPG

The pilot's seat is a bit complex with it's air rams and seat belts :

IMG_5860.JPG

IMG_5862.JPG

IMG_5863.JPG

IMG_5861.JPG

Some of the parts fitted to the pilot's cabin :

IMG_5867.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

IMG_5865.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Moving on to the gunner's cabin. More small bits - a couple of 2.5mm diameter knurled knobs :

IMG_5871.JPG

The gunsight :

IMG_5872.JPG

IMG_5873.JPG

IMG_5874.JPG

IMG_5875.JPG

IMG_5876.JPG

Parts fitted to gunner's cabin :

IMG_5877.JPG

IMG_5878.JPG

IMG_5879.JPG

The gunner's seat was a bit easier :

IMG_5880.JPG

IMG_5881.JPG

IMG_5882.JPG

IMG_5883.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Dan,   in the picture showing the  instrument panel and foor pedals  - shouldn't they be upright  were the feet pass through the loops.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

awesome work Danny.......how you mastered all these small parts is fantastic!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

21 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Dan,   in the picture showing the  instrument panel and foor pedals  - shouldn't they be upright  were the feet pass through the loops.

OC.

You may be right OC, however "I was just following orders" :D . That's the orientation shown in the instructions :

IMG_5888.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

11 minutes ago, Dan Vadas said:

You may be right OC, however "I was just following orders" :D . That's the orientation shown in the instructions :

IMG_5888.JPG

Danny

Just seen another photo  -  looks like it the right way you have it, looks like the feet trap between the straps the way you have them.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

With the pilot's and gunner's cabins completed (for now) work moves to the rear compartment. I "glazed" the windows with some frosted plastic cut from laminating plastic, which is 0.07mm (70 microns) thick :

IMG_5884.JPG

Both the interior side walls are completed first :

IMG_5885.JPG

IMG_5886.JPG

IMG_5887.JPG

The left wall has the door cut out to display the interior :

IMG_5889.JPG

One of the bench seats. I used a jig to hold it for easier construction :

IMG_5890.JPG

IMG_5891.JPG

Next the rear wall and ceiling needed to be made and attached before I could fit the seats :

IMG_5892.JPG

IMG_5893.JPG

IMG_5894.JPG

Finally, I started the upper framing :

IMG_5895.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

very nice work.........coming along splendidly :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The two exhausts took a bit of work :

IMG_5896.JPG

IMG_5897.JPG

IMG_5898.JPG

IMG_5899.JPG

IMG_5900.JPG

IMG_5901.JPG

IMG_5902.JPG

IMG_5903.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

A Mini-Tutorial for those who came in late - How To Cut Circles. I made four of these from double-thickness. The pics should be self-explanatory, except to say that I used a "chopping" motion with the scalpel rather than dragging the blade :

IMG_5907.JPG

IMG_5908.JPG

IMG_5909.JPG

IMG_5910.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

The transmission took a LOT of work - 3 days worth :

IMG_5904.JPG

IMG_5905.JPG

IMG_5911.JPG

IMG_5912.JPG

Fitted to the fuselage :

IMG_5913.JPG

IMG_5914.JPG

IMG_5915.JPG

IMG_5916.JPG

IMG_5917.JPG

I've also fitted the inner wall to the rear cabin :IMG_5918.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

:)  :)  :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Outstanding work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

looks great Danny .......there must be a printed outer skin to lay over the rear section.  is there an inner skin for the rest of the body?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks guys :) . Popeye - the inner skin is only on those sections where the interior is visible, The other sections only have the 1mm thick framing to glue to.

Next we move to the forward landing gear bay :

IMG_5919.JPG

IMG_5920.JPG

The next section of framing :

IMG_5921.JPG

Now I'm starting with the outer skins. The framing needs very careful fairing, as there is absolutely NO margin for error. Lots of dry fitting after shaping each skin was required :

IMG_5922.JPG

IMG_5923.JPG

IMG_5924.JPG

The joins between sections of skin have a separate joining strip which is glued to the inner face of the skin so they line up without a step. The laser-cut frames have a recess in them to allow for this strip. These also need to be carefully faired :

IMG_5926.JPG

IMG_5925.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

I thought it would be a good idea to fit the two canopies to protect the cabins from damage. I'm using the preformed canopies, but they still need quite a bit of work in cutting them.

The kit actually supplies two sets of canopy braces as they are easily damaged when cutting and fitting them. I didn't need the 2nd ones :) :

IMG_5927.JPG

IMG_5928.JPG

IMG_5929.JPG

I glued the bracing to the canopies with PVA, let it set, and then wicked some Plastic Super Glue along the edges. Everything held very well :

IMG_5930.JPG

IMG_5932.JPG

IMG_5931.JPG

I'm displaying the model with opened doors to show as much interior detail as possible :

IMG_5933.JPG

IMG_5934.JPG

IMG_5940.JPG

IMG_5941.JPG

This HUD took me over a day to make :

IMG_5935.JPG

IMG_5936.JPG

The gunner's canopy fitted :

IMG_5939.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

4 hours ago, Ab Hoving said:

Fantastic work. One of Halinski's best.

Thanks Ab, and I agree with your opinion of the kit. I've made a couple of other Halinskis and this one is by far the most detailed :) .

Both the canopies fitted. I'll fit the doors near the end of the build as they can be easily knocked off in the open position (the hinges are "non-working") :

IMG_5942.JPG

IMG_5943.JPG

IMG_5944.JPG

The next section of skin fitted. These skins are REALLY tight - you have to be spot-on with the framing fairing as the piece wraps around from from top-left to top-right in one piece :

IMG_5945.JPG

IMG_5946.JPG

IMG_5947.JPG

I did a bit of plumbing in the transmission bay using brass wire painted (mostly) in-situ with artist's acrylics :

IMG_5948.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny