Mi24D Hind by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Halinski - 1:33 scale - CARD - Russian Attack Helicopter

The bottom sections underneath the tail boom  could be flare units, I have seen this done in an airshow.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

This is the main landing gear bay. I'm going to install all the parts for this and prepare it for the landing gear, but I won't fit the gear until the winglets have been fitted :

IMG_6024.JPG

IMG_6025.JPG

IMG_6026.JPG

Two of the four landing gear doors :

IMG_6028.JPG

The medicine cups hold the myriad of different parts for the landing gear struts, among a few other items :

IMG_6029.JPG

IMG_6030.JPG

IMG_6031.JPG

IMG_6032.JPG

IMG_6033.JPG

IMG_6034.JPG

One of the landing gear struts. Note the spiral groove cut into the wire with an Xacto knife to assist in glue adhesion :

IMG_6035.JPG

IMG_6036.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

This pod fits beneath the gunner's cab. Two smaller pods are attached to it :

IMG_6037.JPG

IMG_6038.JPG

IMG_6039.JPGIMG_6043.JPG

IMG_6040.JPG

IMG_6041.JPG

IMG_6042.JPG

IMG_6044.JPG

IMG_6045.JPG

IMG_6046.JPG

IMG_6047.JPG

IMG_6048.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

The four-barrel "Gatling" type gun and it's swivelling mounting. This is another piece that will be fitted later in the build :

IMG_6050.JPG

IMG_6049.JPG

IMG_6051.JPG

IMG_6052.JPG

IMG_6053.JPG

IMG_6054.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

so many odd shaped parts..........masterful work! :)    love that gun........so freak'in neat! :stunned:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Brilliant work dan  - really first rate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The "winglets", or Weapons System Platforms if you like, were a relatively easy step to construct. I had to glue the trailing edge of the wings in-situ after making up the frames this time, as the vertical pieces of the wings didn't allow me to fit the wings the "usual" way :

IMG_6055.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG

The left wing has a pod attached :

IMG_6095.JPG

I made the rocket launcher/bomb pods as a demonstration of Card Model Building at the Port Macquarie Model show over the weekend, although I seemed to be spending most of the time explaining the construction of card models to interested spectators :

IMG_6093.JPG

IMG_6092.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

The two rocket launchers took me three days to make. The kit gives you the option of using 4 launchers, 4 bombs or a combination of the two. I've opted to do two of each. Hopefully the pics are fairly self-explanatory about the construction :

IMG_6096.JPG

IMG_6097.JPG

IMG_6098.JPG

IMG_6099.JPG

IMG_6100.JPG

IMG_6101.JPG

IMG_6102.JPG

IMG_6103.JPG

There were a total of 58 1.0mm diameter angled tubes to make which fit inside the oval holes in the nose cones :

IMG_6104.JPG

IMG_6105.JPG

IMG_6106.JPG

I glued a toothpick to each cone for ease of handling :

IMG_6107.JPG

Aligning each internal tube was accomplished with the aid if a piece of 1mm wire :

IMG_6108.JPG

The tubes were not a perfect fit, but quite easy to trim down after the glue dried :

IMG_6109.JPG

A bit of touch-up acrylic paint was needed after the trimming :

IMG_6110.JPG

Finally, 5 more tubes were fitted to the end of each cone :

IMG_6111.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Amazng work  - truly  amazing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The inside of the rocket launcher needed to be painted, one of the very few bits of this kit that could have been designed better :

IMG_6112.JPG

The launchers fitted to the wings :

IMG_6113.JPG

The two bombs were an enjoyable step :

IMG_6114.JPG

Again, there is a mistake in the kit. The outer side of the rings should have had a coloured piece fitted. I used some left-over card from the two bombs that I wasn't going to fit to fix the problem :

IMG_6115.JPG

IMG_6116.JPG

The nose cones came out the best of any rounded pieces I've done so far :

IMG_6117.JPG

IMG_6118.JPGIMG_6119.JPG

The bombs fitted :

IMG_6120.JPG

The four missiles use a mounting bracket. These are a rather involved unit, as there are 28 pieces of wire holding the inner part to the other which needed 56 0.5mm holes drilled right on the edge of the parts. This step took me 3 hours :

IMG_6122.JPG

More pieces of the brackets :

IMG_6121.JPG

I made a jig to assemble the rails :

IMG_6123.JPG

IMG_6124.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Excellent work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've finished the Lighthouse it's back to this model :) . Moving along with the missile brackets, I used the jig to assemble them :

IMG_6125.JPG

Next I added the air lines made from 0.2mm wire :

IMG_6126.JPGIMG_6127.JPG

The completed missiles. I forgot to take progress pics. The wire pieces haven't been painted yet :

IMG_6128.JPG

IMG_6129.JPG

IMG_6131.JPG

All finished and fitted to the racks :

IMG_6132.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

I'm guessing these are some type of exhaust noise suppression units (aka mufflers ;) ). They are quite complex assemblies which needed very careful cutting and gluing at every stage to ensure that no problems arose later on. I'm very happy with the final results :

IMG_6135.JPG

IMG_6136.JPG

IMG_6137.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

IMG_6139.JPG

IMG_6140.JPG

IMG_6141.JPG

IMG_6142.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

rocket racks look very good.......nicely done! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Great work Danny

I do not think I would want to be around when those bombs were dropped. Helicopters as a rule are kind of low and slow aircraft. Bombs tend to be a high and fast type of weapon. I have read of more than one case where the dropping aircraft almost got it's own tail plucked when the fuse of the bomb they dropped at low altitude had been set too short! There is a BIG difference between 1/10th of a second and 10 seconds when you are already close to the ground and the bomb does not have that far to travel!:D

The exhausts you built were probably cooling, or diverting exhausts. Helicopters are a BIG target for shoulder fired heat seeking missiles.

It's been fantastic following your build.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I've been looking at those intakes for the engines.   I'm thinking they're actually an air filtration system where the air is spun, the dirt and dust goes out an opening and the clean (for some value of clean) goes into the engine.   Any one know?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The final pieces of the exhaust coolers are two flanges :

IMG_6198.JPG

The coolers fitted. I'll fit the right side one later, as it will be in the lowered position :

IMG_6199.JPG

IMG_6200.JPG

IMG_6215.JPG

IMG_6216.JPG

IMG_6217.JPG

I've re-installed the part that broke off earlier and fitted the guards around it :

IMG_6201.JPG

Then I fitted the weapons platforms :

IMG_6218.JPG

IMG_6219.JPG

IMG_6220.JPG

IMG_6221.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Now for a REAL fun bit - the control system for the main rotor. Here are most of the parts :

IMG_6202 - Copy.JPG

The lower part :

IMG_6203 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6204 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6205 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6206 - Copy.JPG

A "drive shaft" part which controls the angle :

IMG_6207 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6208 - Copy.JPG

The upper part. I used a 2mm punch to keep the centres aligned while gluing the pieces together :

IMG_6209 - Copy.JPGIMG_6210 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6211 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6212 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6213 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6214 - Copy.JPG

The upper and lower parts fitted to the main shaft :

IMG_6222 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6223 - Copy.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

4 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I've been looking at those intakes for the engines.   I'm thinking they're actually an air filtration system where the air is spun, the dirt and dust goes out an opening and the clean (for some value of clean) goes into the engine.   Any one know?

Yep  - the S-61  Sea King had them fitted  because of the dust  in  certain climates  and they just kept them fitted.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The top cap :

IMG_6224.JPG

The five support arms. Once again I used a piece of wire to keep everything aligned while fitting :

IMG_6228.JPG

IMG_6229.JPG

IMG_6230.JPG

IMG_6231.JPG

IMG_6232.JPG

A control arm fitted to each support arm :

IMG_6233.JPG

IMG_6234.JPG

IMG_6235.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Starting the main rotor blades :

IMG_6236.JPG

IMG_6237.JPG

I made an extra rib to support the end of the reinforcing wire. This is a rare design flaw in the kit, they just leave the wire floating around :

IMG_6238.JPG

This was one of the most challenging pieces to glue due to the length of the seam - 235mm with a minimal amount of twist in the blade. One of the blades finished up with a slightly bigger twist than the others, but not enough to lose any sleep over :

IMG_6239.JPG

The blade temporarily fitted to the rotor control while I fit the hydraulic lines, made from 0.2mm wire :

IMG_6240.JPG

IMG_6241.JPG

IMG_6242.JPG

I'm thinking of making the rotor blade as a removable part for ease of transport to model shows etc. They are a snug fit onto the shafts and fairly easy to attach and the hydraulic lines slip into a slightly oversize hole in the end of the blade. The overall diameter of nearly 0.5 metres would make transport difficult.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Superb engineering work danny  - looking just as good as the real thing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The parts for one side of the main landing gear :

IMG_6243.JPG

I cut angles on the ends of some of the struts for better adhesion. Here's a landing gear nearing completion :

IMG_6244.JPG

IMG_6245.JPG

Next job was the landing gear doors and the wheels. Everything has turned surprisingly strong despite my earlier fears that these parts would get damaged :

IMG_6247.JPG

IMG_6248.JPG

IMG_6249.JPG

The nose landing gear fitted. I used wire to pin some of the joints, and once again it's a lot stronger than it looks :

IMG_6250.JPG

IMG_6251.JPG

Both landing gears completed :

IMG_6256.JPG

IMG_6257.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Now I fitted the Gatling Gun turret which can swivel and elevate. The gun itself will come later - something easily caught on accidentally :

IMG_6246.JPG

Both the opened rear compartment doors, the right side transmission door and the right side exhaust cooler have also been fitted. Again all parts can sustain handling, albeit carefully :

IMG_6252.JPG

IMG_6253.JPG

IMG_6258.JPG

IMG_6254.JPG

IMG_6255.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Really looking the part mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

well done! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On the home stretch now. I've fitted both halves of the fuselage together :

IMG_6259.JPG

IMG_6260.JPG

Now came time to fit the missiles to the weapons platforms :

IMG_6261.JPG

IMG_6262.JPG

IMG_6263.JPG

Last thing to fit before turning the helo back up the right way was the lower antenna :

IMG_6264.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

The two canopy doors were fitted next, followed by the Gatling gun and the probe. Any thoughts on what the probe was for? I'm thinking maybe a lightning rod? :

IMG_6270.JPG

IMG_6267.JPG

IMG_6269.JPG

IMG_6268.JPG

IMG_6266.JPG

IMG_6265.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny