Cutty Sark by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Mantua/Sergal - Scale 1:78

Henrik:

Thanks very much.  Up next, I'll be building the Mantua Bruma, which I picked to give me a bit of a complexity break.  Then after that, the Kolderstok Batavia, which I picked because of its beautiful painted colors.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 8:22 PM, drobinson02199 said:

[EDIT NOTE:  As sometimes happens on this site, the pictures came out in reverse order from what I intended]

I'm stuck at the moment because there aren't enough copper plates in the kit to finish the job -- by about 400.  Ages of Sail is sending me more, but in the meantime I'm working around it to the extent I can, which is limited.

I've mentioned above that I used a different approach to copper each side of the hull.  On the first side I started at the keel, then worked up a bit, then went to the waterline, worked down, and then fitted the two together.  You can see that in the picture below.

On the second side (the one I plan to display), I started at the waterline and am working down (you can see where I ran out of plates).  As the picture shows, it's a much better looking pattern up close.

From 3 feet or more away, the first side looks fine, but the display side looks much better.

Regards,

David

Copper Layout 2.jpg

Copper Layout 1.jpg

Hi David

I have been quiet for a while (!) mainly because I was progressing well and , using your details, hadn't come across any major issues - BUT, like you, I find myself well short of copper plates. I have completed one side and done about 25% of the other side but am almost out. Mantua claim that there are 2,400 plates with the kit (it feels like it after trimming and gluing that lot!) which leaves me about 500 to 1000 short. Not happy http Mantua have under-supplied, especially as to purchase in the UK form a local modelling supplier, they are £5.69 per pack of 100! That means I would have to fork out another £50 or so to complete it!

Unfortunately, I can't see any way round that but I do feel hard done by!

Cornish Pirate:

As I mentioned in my post, Ages of Sail in California, from whom I bought the kit, always honors shortages and did for me.  I know that Mantua UK has a physical shop in Windsor.  Since you are in the UK, I wonder if they were the seller of your kit, and if so, you could contact them to make up the shortage.  My log might serve as support that the kit is under-supplied.  

One thing to do is not go by the 2,400 count, but instead measure your "empty" area and calculate what you really need -- might trim the cost if you have to pay.  But if https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/ is where you bought it, they should honor it and make it good.  

Even if you didn't buy it from them, here's what they say on their website:  "Mantua Model UK Ltd was formed in 1997 as part of the Mantua Model group of Italy, one of the largest model manufacturers in the world. Mantua Model manufacture all types of  boat, ship, aircraft and car kits,  and are renowned for their wooden model ship kits."

So according to them, they are part of Mother Mantua -- and therefore I would think they should honor the shortage regardless.

Good luck!

Regards,

David

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David

Thanks for getting back to me. I actually purchased the model online form Cornwall Model Boats who are a bit cheaper than Mantua. However, I agree that 'Mother Mantua' should come to the party and I'll contact them direct to see what they say. I am dreaming of copper plates now but the end is in sight. I reckon I've got about 300 to go! Well done on completing your model. What now?

Cornish:

I'm now building the Bruma from Mantua.  Here's the log.  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/22550-bruma-by-drobinson02199-mantuapanart-scale-143/?tab=comments#comment-670233

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:11 AM, RickyGene said:

Yes sir, you are correct.  The Portuguese ship Ferreira, was in fact formerly the Cutty Sark.

Cutty Sark was launched as the Cutty Sark.

1895 renamed Ferreira

1922 called the Mario Do Amparo then reverting back to the original name as she is called today, Cutty Sark.

She was never called Nannie Dee officially.

So reguardless the additional names, the vessel is the Cutty Sark.

Rick

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:17 AM, RickyGene said:

I shared this w/another member and as seeing your excellent build, I thought I would also share with you.  Can you guess the name of this lady.

69764377_2398145726921311_6275996656060071936_n.jpg

I modeled the Ferreira(AKA) Cutty Sark

The Figurehead was renamed.

540127_10201383218635578_781574043_n.jpg

1453504_10201713163163985_1256961251_n.jpg

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello David

I have been making steady progress with my 'Cutty', frustrated as you were with the occasional 'shortage' of parts but overall happy with the kit. I have virtually finished the hull and working on the masts and spars but I now have a mystery that I am hoping you may be able to assist with! Attached is a picture of some small brass parts which I cannot identify. Ive looked through all the instructions and diagrams and still cannot work out what they were for. They were originally packed in a small plastic bag with the copper strip which made me think they were something to do with the attachments to the masts but I am no clearer. Can you recall what they were?

Thank yo and I hope you are bearing up under the 'lockdown'

Charles

IMG_2190.jpeg

Hello Charles, 

the ones on the right are shown in the Fig.51 (mast related), but I haven't found the other parts though.

I'm quite behind from those steps. still coppering and found that there copper plates aren't enough.

what other shortage have you found? apart from the insufficient chain that David had mentioned in previous post. just to be prepared!

thanks, Argyris

Charles:

The five parts on the right are part of the lower yard attachments.  They attach to the yards (5 of them) through the center hole, and the two holes on the "wings" are for a pin that goes through a brass part attached to the mast to create a swivel.  There are drawings of this somewhere on the mast or yard plans.  I had a very difficult time attaching those to the yards without them coming loose, and finally resorted to lashing them to the yards, and gluing the lashings, which worked well.  I think there's an entry about that somewhere in my build log.

The other parts I'm not sure of, but they look like they might possibly be part of the two deck winches.  Have you built those yet?  If the parts on the left are hollow inside, then I think they are the ends of a winch axle made from a dowel that fits into the hollows.  I call these "winches" but the manual may have a different name for them -- but there are two on deck, one in front of the fore mast and one in front of the main mast.  They have a lot of brass parts.

The center parts might also be part of those winch assemblies, or they could be the body of small cranked winches that mount on the side of the channels.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Hi David

Thank you for getting back to me. I can see now that the 5 brackets are for the yards (although I thought there should have been 6!) and by default if found the other parts were for the small cranked winches on the side channels. I think their brass eyelets look out of scale (too large) and am replacing most of them with smaller copper eyelets which I am making myself out of copper wire. I agree with your comment about the flag being rubbish but it is also technically incorrect as it is the union jack as oppose to the red ensign which Cutty Sark would have flown! This is my third Cutty Sark, firstly a Revell plastic job, then the Billing, now the Mantua. I have some attachment to her as my dad built a scratch model of her whilst on air raid duty during the war (which I still have) and I did my Naval training on HMS Worcester which owned the Cutty Sark until she was given to the nation & moved to Greenwich. The billing model I built was sold to an American who was on his honeymoon in the UK, that in turn paid for most of my wedding and the model ended up somewhere in San Diego!

Stay safe!