Cutty Sark by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Mantua/Sergal - Scale 1:78

Harry:

Yes, the brass bulwarks would have been a help as I have to be really really careful.  No need for template as I can take spacing and measurements from the drawing, but just need to be really careful when cutting them out.

The ports don't hit any of the bulwark extensions, so no sequence issue there.

And yes, those strips are rubbing strakes.  So much for my nautical vocabulary.  🥴

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Hi Chap,

All good, this particular Ship will take some time.... You are aware of this I am sure, deep breath....

With the "Freeing Ports" I assume also that Mantua have Provided a Brass "Facsimile" for these?

Ensure sure you "Anneal" the Tabs on these.... (I didn't at my cost....)

Ship Normal Culture, (If that is the correct term,), Vocabulary.... No worries.... 

(I don't think I'm perfect either....😊)

What did Mantua provide with Deckhouse/Trai boards/Stern "Decoration? (PE of some sort?)

If I can "Harp" back to my stuff, I got some Laser etched wood, (Cherry), (Trail Boards/Stern stuff.), from "Double O" Laser Services in the US. (I think that they are pretty much defunct. It was a few years ago....

I came across a comment on another Site some time ago, "Why build a Cutty Sark?" The most modelled ship in history, maybe....

Well, I guess the journey and the challenge....

(The inboard Channels are certainly a challenge!! 😊)

Looking forward to seeing your further progress!!

Happy to advise if I can possibly do so..

(There a few "Cutty Nuts" here/out there....)

Cheers and Regards,

Harry (HOF)

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Harry:

By "facimilie" for the ports, do you mean the port covers?  If so, yes, there are brass ones with tabs.

What happened when you didn't anneal them?  Did they snap off?

I've realized that this will be along build -- but that's OK.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Hi Chap,

The "Facsimile" comment was that I did not know what was provided in your kit.

Yup, freeing Port covers... I did not anneal and the tabs snapped off, out with the CA and Epoxy.... (Live and learn.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi Dave,

Great work on your Cutty Sark so far. I'll follow along and poach as many ideas as I can!😁

Happy building!

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

All ports cut now, and ribs removed from inside bulwarks, so now I'm ready to paint.

Regards,

David

Ports Cut.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

So here's my plan for painting.  I don't want to paint the lower part of the hull, because I've read that paint can be a poor surface for coppering.  So as shown in the pics below, I have put pins in the hull just about 1mm below the waterline.  I'll leave them in and paint down to them only.  

Then when I copper the hull, I'll come up to them and use the holes as a guide for the last copper row, which will cover the holes.

Anyhow, that's the idea and we'll see how it works. 

Regards,

David

Waterline 1.jpg

Waterline 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Have now painted the upper part of the hull black.  I brushed on the paint vs. spraying.  If I spray, I get spray mist all over my workroom (even with major plastic dropcloths) and have to be super careful not to track it into the house.  Just a mess.  I have a small exhaust fan mounted high, and maybe I'll get motivated and buy some flexible ducting to bring the exhaust down to the spray area I use.  But I used a foam brush here and it worked fine.

Time to start coppering.  I'm going to see if I can make copper tape work.  Stay tuned.

Regards,

David

Black Hull.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Change in direction.  I tried my first piece of copper tape, and it just doesn't look right compared to the copper plates supplied with the kit.  The impressions made by the pounce wheel are uneven, and the tape is too shiny.

So it's on to individual plates, and I'll probably be at that for a while.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Here's why I abandoned the tape.  I made up a strip of the copper tape and put it above a row of the real plates that I have started at the keel.

It's really hard to get good shots of this because of the way the tape and plates reflect light, but you can see it in these two pics.  The pounce wheel does a fair job of making rivet marks at top and bottom, but the divider rivets just don't look right -- AND, the tape is really shiny compared to the copper plates.

Regards,

David

Coppering 1.jpg

Coppering 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The tape will oxidize in a couple of months and get a nice patina.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Yup, agree....

One comment, mine has not Oxidised much since 2006.... It has in part....

I saw some time ago, a Chap who "Oven Fried" a layer or two, looked good, Greenish.... 

Experiment with a couple of Plates maybe?

I guess that it's up to the individual, something like 2,500 Plates? 😊

(It's fun....)

Just ensure that the Waterline on Port/Starboard is accurate, it's not a good look to strip off Copper Pates. (Been there, done that.)

Sorry, I'm not much help here....

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hof:

2,500 plates?  I'll be finishing the coppering with a glass of egg nog.  😛

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Hi Chap,

Have a  look at Mr."Steve Priske".  on the Net for Copper Plating.

(Awesome practicum.)

(Wish I'd seen this before I started the CS....)

All the best.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

HOF:

Thanks -- the YouTube videos were really helpful.  He's using very thin plates -- mine are the thicker kit plates so I don't have the same flexibility he does.

Two big things I took out of the videos:

1. The idea of end-capping the cutwater, stern and keel.  It's given me a new thought on how to do that on my model.
  2. I'm reflecting on his approach of doing the waterline with a row of plates and then using cut plates in the middle to finish off.  I was going to trim plates to fit at the waterline.  On reflection, I think his way will work better and so that's what I'll do.  

I'm using medium glue all the way, and it's working pretty well.  I'll post a shot when I get a bit further along.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Initial work on coppering.

Regards,

David

Initial Coppering.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Nice start!!

Maybe Copper from the Waterline down also?

That should ensure "Symmetry" with your Goring Strake/s.

(My approach only.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Yes -- as soon as I bring this section over to the bow, I'm going to start on the waterline and work down.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't posted in a while because I've been coppering, coppering, coppering . . .

One side now done -- picture attached.  I started on the side I don't plan to display so I could learn from it.  Results are fine, but on the other side I think I'll start at the waterline and bring it down to the keel, where the final fitting of odd pieces and shapes will be easier.  On this side, I did it where the bottom and top layers met, and it was a LOT of cutting, filing, and fitting.

I'm a bit concerned about my supply of copper plates, but we'll see how that goes.  May have to call Ages of Sail for a "make good".

Regards,

David

Coppering First Side.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Looking mighty fine David. I really like the contrast between the black and the copper. Gives her a real yacht-like appearance which is what the original owner was after. I'm following closely as I am now preparing my own hull for finishing. I'll have to give the coppering video that HOF mentioned a view too....

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

[EDIT NOTE:  As sometimes happens on this site, the pictures came out in reverse order from what I intended]

I'm stuck at the moment because there aren't enough copper plates in the kit to finish the job -- by about 400.  Ages of Sail is sending me more, but in the meantime I'm working around it to the extent I can, which is limited.

I've mentioned above that I used a different approach to copper each side of the hull.  On the first side I started at the keel, then worked up a bit, then went to the waterline, worked down, and then fitted the two together.  You can see that in the picture below.

On the second side (the one I plan to display), I started at the waterline and am working down (you can see where I ran out of plates).  As the picture shows, it's a much better looking pattern up close.

From 3 feet or more away, the first side looks fine, but the display side looks much better.

Regards,

David

Copper Layout 2.jpg

Copper Layout 1.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing. It gives ideas for the future coppering of my Agamemnon, which in my slow building tempo probably will not take place in a year's time.

From the pictures, I agree that the coppering side starting from waterline looks better but perhaps it is because your coppering skills has improved after practicing many hundreds of plates later? What if you had started the second band earlier on the first side you did (5-8 rows of copper plates closer to the keel than you did)? This approach may have required a third band but the passage between the bands would perhaps be more harmonic.

I do not know which method is the most accurate to Cutty Sark's actual or original coppering but maybe someone else at MSW knows?

Anyhow, your model looks great and I follow your build with great interest. Thanks once again for sharing, David!

Regards

Henrik

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started" - Mark Twain

While I'm waiting for the rest of the copper plates to arrive from Ages of Sail, I'm doing what I can to move forward.  Here are the planked decks.

I can do the next steps involving more deck finishing, but don't want to do the port covers or the white hull strips until I finish the coppering, because they will mar/bend when I lay the ship on its side.

Regards,

David

Decks Planked.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

A bit more -- there is nice molding to dress the area where the planked deck meets the bulkhead.  See before & after pics.  [and again, pictures in reverse order]

Regards,

David

Deck Edge 2.jpg

Deck Edge 1.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

You're doing a wonderful job.  You're almost done....   I couldn't get my head around the nearly 2000 copper plates that were needed for my scratch built Great Republic...so I created my own system, by using copper tape cut into 8" strips and run through a clothes press roller that I modified for the purpose.  With a wire mesh gauge and some drywall sanding mesh paper I was able to emboss the nail imprints and  plate seams onto the strip, all in one simple pass through the press..

Then all I did was affix them...fast and easy compared to the tedium of single plate work.

I also loathed the final shiny copper color...and since the Gr was not covered with copper but with the yellow *muntz* metal plates....I chose to paint over my copper plates with a metallic paint that represented the muntz metal after it has oxidized.  It turns a metallic *brown*...instead of the typical greenish wash you see from weathers copper.   The Cutty Sark was also coppered in *Muntz* metal NOT copper.

When new the muntz metal was quite *Yellow*….more like brass.

Here is a pic of my copper strips..ready to be applied to the hull.

post-2739-0-21436400-1469652100.jpg

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Your strips look terrific.  As I noted in an earlier post, I couldn't get a good result using a pounce wheel -- but I am going to use strips to edge the bow, stern and keel.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area