drobinson02199

Cutty Sark by drobinson02199 - Mantua/Sergal - Scale 1:78

Yeah....when I was developing my system...I built a pounce wheel....but the *Puncture* looking holes just looked ridiculous.  Plus the indentations are not actually holes but nail heads...recessed from hammering.  To simulate this required an ample amount of ingenuity.  The reason why I used a press.

Great job.

Rob

Looks great David. Really like your informative updates on your logs. Copper plating looks super when done, but I can imagine its a royal pain in the **** to actually do!

Cheers

Chris

Back from vacation, and found the extra copper plates waiting for me.  Took me a while amidst post-vacation catch up tasks to finish off the coppering of the hull.

That brought me to finishing off the keel, bow and stern.  I had planned to use copper tape for that, and as things turned out, it worked really well.  I've attached pictures showing pre-taping rough sections, and then the finished product.

Found there was a learning curve in handling the tape to minimize crinkles, but they show up no matter what you do, so I'm glad I used the plates for most of the hull, and equally glad I used tape to finish off the edges.

Now I can go back and pick up the sequence items I skipped waiting for the extra plates to arrive.

Regards,

David

Bow Rough.jpg

Bow FInished 1.jpg

Bow FInished 2.jpg

Stern Rough.jpg

Stern Finished.jpg

The white rubbing strakes are now on.  The manual wants pins to hold the curve, but I steamed the curve into the strips, then painted them, and then used CA glue.

I think I may have ended the strakes too soon at the bow, and if so, I'll fix that later.  I KNOW I have an issue at the stern where the width between the strakes isn't quite large enough for the brass figures that go in there, but I ran out of stern to fix the lower strake to, so I'll fix that as well by cutting down the brass to fit.

I need to touch all of this up now with black and white paint.

Regards,

David

Strakes 1.jpg

Strakes 2.jpg

I finished and mounted the rudder, and applied the bow and stern decorations.  Pictures below.

The drawing shows the white rubbing strakes running straight to the figurehead at the bow, and the brass decorations on that same line without the bend you see here.  While the rubbing strakes would "frame" the top decoration, I'm not sure what the bottom of the lower one would look like.  In any event, as I mentioned above, I had missed that in the drawings and terminated the strakes at the end of the hull.  So I extended them and applied the decorations as you see here.

Also as noted in my earlier post, the space between the strakes at the stern was not wide enough for the stern decorations, so I had to file them down to fit.  That seems to have worked out OK.

Regards,

David

Rudder.jpg

Bow Decoration.jpg

Stern Decoration 1.jpg

Stern Decoration 2.jpg