Hi all.  I'm a newbie in this form but would like some advice.  I would rate my experience as intermediate.  I have built many wood kits for my "other" hobby Model railroading and as far a marine is concerned I have build 2 plastic Cutty Sarks (Revell?) fully rigged, one with sails and one without also a Swedish steamship called the Mariefred (Hobbyborgen?) which was plank on frame.  Now I wanted to start a new kit and was considering the Snake by Calder craft but the shop I dealt with talked me into a viking ship by Amati.  I was not happy at all with this kit or it's manufacture.  Am I biting off to much with the Snake? Appreciate your thoughts. 

Welcome to MSW, Geoff.

You've done a plank on frame so you probably have the basics down on the hull.  Rigging skills are there from the plastic kits.  I've not built the Snake but it may have it's challenges.  I would recommend that you do start a build log when you decide on a kit as it's the best way to get help.

Just go slow, and have some fun.  Wooden ships can be challenging and overcoming them is the big reason why MSW is here.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW. I think you could do it based on your previous work. I tackled the Conny as my second build and I've managed so far.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Gidday Geoff and another warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

I would advise you to search the build logs for the Snake. You will see the pitfalls and solutions to many problems within these logs as well as getting an idea of what level of skill is required. As to the question of your ability to build the Snake that is a subjective question that only you can answer. I would hate to advise you that you have the skills required to have you not complete the model. Many people have given up this hobby in frustration after attempting builds beyond there skill level. I am one example of this but I came back into the fold. I sincerely hope I have not confused the issue.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavours,

Mark.

I will offer what are personal opinions.

Modeling a plastic kit is a bit different than a wood based kit.  It is more fabrication with the wood, rather than assembly.  Ship models are fabricated using plastic raw materials, but I think wood is an easier and more pleasing material to work with at that level.

Most wood models are probably easier to rig, once you shape the spars, because plastic is easier to break under line tension, 

My search for a SS Mariefred kit leads me to the conclusion that it is a POB hull not POF (plank on frame).  The HMS Snake kit is also POB, so the basic method will be the same.

I would try to fall in love with the Viking boat and build it first.  You have paid some of your money already.  The clinker planking skill earned will help with some ship's boats that are a part of larger vessels.  Some of the wood stock might be replaced with third party species that look and work better.

Pay close attention to the planking run.  A recent series in SIS shows that it can be done incorrectly.

HMS Snake is a 3 master, based on the hull of HMS Cruizer.  There were over 100 vessels built using that basic design.  It was designed as a large brig and is a single deck.  This places it at a place between beginner and intermediate, closer to intermediate. The Cruizer class is well represented in build logs in scratch and in kit forums.  It also has an older but high quality book dedicated to it:

MODELLING THE BRIG OF WAR IRENE                                  
PETREJUS,E W                                                     
N V UITGEVERSMAATSCHAPPO "DE ESCH"           
HENGELO, HOLLAND         
MODELING TECHNIQUE       
19TH BRIG NA MASTING RIGGING POF EQUIP DECK 

Looking at the kit, 

the outer planking is a species of Walnut.  The color is nice, but the grain and open pores - a more appropriate species of planking material might be considered from a third party supplier.  If the copper plates supplied have embossed nails, they are grossly out of scale and a smooth copper substitute should replace it.  The number of moulds to support the inner planking is insufficient and needs amelioration.   

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers