HMS Victory by Rob S - Mamoli - 1/90th scale - first build

Thanks Emmet! Hope you made it home safely and glad you’ll have some helpful lessons for your endeavor both good and bad. 

Planking continues on the starboard side. It would be good to have a more repeatable tapering method. You can see where the planks don’t completely seal near the stern. Looks like I’ll have just enough planks to finish.

582D1BFD-16E8-49E1-A254-272F1F387542.jpeg

Rob

active projects: HMS Victory, Mamoli 1/90 scale

I've got a long way to go, but looking ahead some, I'm thinking I want to stop the model once I get to the below example point.  I think this gives me a lot more options to display the model given it will take up significantly less room than once complete with all the masts, rigging, sails etc.  Just something I'm considering right now.  We'll see where we end up!  

IMG_0010.jpg

Rob

That could be a way to do it. And Rob, the best thing with that approach is that there is nothing preventing you from doing the masts and rigging at a later stage 🙂. Thanks for posting. I am watching.

Regards

Henrik

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started" - Mark Twain

12 hours ago, Rob S said:

Thanks Emmet! Hope you made it home safely and glad you’ll have some helpful lessons for your endeavor both good and bad. 

Planking continues on the starboard side. It would be good to have a more repeatable tapering method. You can see where the planks don’t completely seal near the stern. Looks like I’ll have just enough planks to finish.

582D1BFD-16E8-49E1-A254-272F1F387542.jpeg

Planks are going in well.  I will be looking to see the next 2 pieces.  The beauty of this stuff is you are free to spend as much time as you feel like. It is not like a book you have to finish. Thinking is the greatest thing about ship building.

Port side nearly complete.  Planks moistened, formed and now drying in place.  Will remove, cut forward ends, sand and affix tomorrow, GLW.  Then to complete the port bow before turning back to the starboard side.

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

Rob

I was looking over this log and saw that I installed the first plank last Oct... I’m going on seven (7) mos of planking! Wow. I glued on the planks from yesterday that were formed.  I only think I’m this far along because I’ve had a few extra hours on my hands!  I’m amazed at some of the modelers in this forum who complete this work in what appears to be days.  Very well done!  You can see clear evidence below where my tapering was not quite up to par.  I still have the bows and sterns to finish and hope to do so in the next several days. 

Then to finish the quarter deck railing per the instructions. 

I’ll need to look over the logs to get a sense of filling/sanding and then looking to put on the green ‘copper’ tiles.  I don’t intend to put on real copper as some others have done.  I’ll also be looking at the tile tutorials out there for assistance.  

103FC6E4-578B-4BF6-9828-82E44A16F147.jpeg

2932C8DD-7849-465B-BEAD-DB3890BFB97D.jpeg

D3C29FEC-1286-4D0A-BA9D-49641B180F6E.jpeg

Edited by Rob S
Add additional detail

Rob

On 4/30/2020 at 11:04 PM, Rob S said:

I was looking over this log and saw that I installed the first plank last Oct... I’m going on seven (7) mos of planking! Wow. I glued on the planks from yesterday that were formed.  I only think I’m this far along because I’ve had a few extra hours on my hands!  I’m amazed at some of the modelers in this forum who complete this work in what appears to be days.  Very well done!  You can see clear evidence below where my tapering was not quite up to par.  I still have the bows and sterns to finish and hope to do so in the next several days. 

Then to finish the quarter deck railing per the instructions. 

I’ll need to look over the logs to get a sense of filling/sanding and then looking to put on the green ‘copper’ tiles.  I don’t intend to put on real copper as some others have done.  I’ll also be looking at the tile tutorials out there for assistance.  

103FC6E4-578B-4BF6-9828-82E44A16F147.jpeg

2932C8DD-7849-465B-BEAD-DB3890BFB97D.jpeg

D3C29FEC-1286-4D0A-BA9D-49641B180F6E.jpeg

This is Emmet. She looks good to me. I am just getting started on Victory and I am happy that you show your work so well as you go.  I know it will help me do a better job. I have been traveling a few days to get home and I see real progress.

Planking continues.  I’d like to think it is a ‘minor touchup’ but as you can see it is actually some reconstruction as I fix some previously damaged bow planks.  One note, the dark stains in the wood are actually from where I inserted nails in damp wood resulting in some type of wood/nail interaction resulting in the stains.  I’ll cover it up with paint. 

Still working to install some bow and stern planks and since the nails don’t always hold the plank in the right position and I can’t get a clamp into some spaces, the going can be slow.  But that is OK!  It’s not the destination, but rather the journey to be enjoyed!

69458FD3-C462-4AC5-89B6-3A3F16954586.jpeg

Rob

9 hours ago, Rob S said:

Planking continues.  I’d like to think it is a ‘minor touchup’ but as you can see it is actually some reconstruction as I fix some previously damaged bow planks.  One note, the dark stains in the wood are actually from where I inserted nails in damp wood resulting in some type of wood/nail interaction resulting in the stains.  I’ll cover it up with paint. 

Still working to install some bow and stern planks and since the nails don’t always hold the plank in the right position and I can’t get a clamp into some spaces, the going can be slow.  But that is OK!  It’s not the destination, but rather the journey to be enjoyed!

69458FD3-C462-4AC5-89B6-3A3F16954586.jpeg

I see where builders use brass nails. Perhaps they do not stain the wood.  Again you are helping me avoid such problems.

Have started the filling/sanding process.  Thank you to Henrik and Mark for their sage advice in this process.  Just getting started using a water based filler.  You can see there are uneven spots (shadows) in need of filling/sanding.

As observed, the filler hardens quickly so I am doing sections.

AB89B4D0-04BF-464B-ABC8-BD60466C2FEF.jpeg

335D25C9-F28C-47B0-8322-25FE1449C85E.jpeg

BA7FC2B8-4BCF-4657-AF11-3089BEAD1CDD.jpeg

Rob

Hey Emmet - the filler I am using is MinWax stainable wood filler.  You can paint and insert nails on/in it.  I’m also using 220 sandpaper for the initial sanding. 

Rob

Continuing to fill, sand and then fill some more. The question becomes, ‘When am I done?’.  I believe the answer to be when the resulting hull has a relatively smooth and continuous surface for the next set of planks.  In my case it won’t be perfect, but I’ve seen several examples in this forum of those who have gotten very, very close to perfect.  You can see the bow where there are areas that were filled in (first bow pic) sanded and then the resulting low spots filled in again (second bow pic).  Hope this covers the bow.  More work on the upper sides both port and starboard. 

I added an additional row of planking on the forward starboard side (top) as well as filled in some of the missing quarter deck planks between the gun ports because I saw that I can easily reach that area of the deck for gun placement, etc.  The after and forward openings will remain at least for now for access to those areas of the deck. 

47EC3E4D-04DD-4FD8-A412-CE13EEB8927D.jpeg

9FC04693-DF9F-473E-ADE9-2430B28E3190.jpeg

4EFC6F7E-EF4E-4816-B688-EAE42A4A4C26.jpeg

Rob

Hello Rob, The most difficult part is often the bow. We average builders do not get the first planking of the bow to the standard where no or very little filler is needed. We others have dimples and ridges which need to be handled with a lots of filler 🙂. You ask when am I done? Personally I think that is a question of ambition (What is good enough for me?). The result of the second planking will be much better if you get the end result of the first including the filler work, smooth, but most of us have a limit. You are working on a challenging project where this question of what is good enough for me will pop up now and then. At the stage you are now Rob I think you should focus on the bow and get that area to a standard which is good enough for you. The rest of the hull will probably require less work to get to the same standard.

Kind regards

Henrik

It would seem difficult to run a plastic spatula(or similar) over the surface in the bow area.  I am not sure how to handle filler between the gunports- that looks tricky.  I am sure you will figure it out. It is kind of like auto body work only in a much tighter area. In the end you will get it.

Thank you Henrik and Emmet.  Message received and understood.  Thanks again Henrik for your guidance on filling/sanding and you are correct as I've found there is more work on the bow and stern areas, with less mid ships.  Emmet - I'm using a relatively small spatula for the areas between the gun ports.  It is tricky to reach all of the areas.  Henrik suggested using a cloth, in small amounts, to help spread the filler.  I will do that in the harder to reach areas.

I think the Mamoli metal gun port inserts make it more difficult to uniformly fill and sand.  Kits without these ports may be easier to complete the process.  Pros and cons with each kit. 

Rob

Hello,  JT here Upon looking for instructions for the HMS Victory if stumbled across this site. It now gives me the respect and awe that goes into making one of these masterpieces. My wife's uncle was a master model maker and made many museum quality ships. His last ship was the HMS Victory. At his funeral I was offered anything in his shop anything. I have tools and normal things that any shop could have. I set my eyes on his ship unfinished and knowing it may never see completion. I vowed to finish and chose the HMS Victory. SOOOOO No instructions and searching and viewing I will make this dream complete. I am very lucky as most the hard work is done. I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS EVER.  LOL  there are some things that are self explanatory but when I get to the rigging whoo whee. Thank You for letting me gab here and I hope I will be able to post some pics of our accomplishments.

• 2 weeks later...

Hull sanding is largely finished.  The next step is to gently remove the bulkhead tops on the quarter deck to allow for planking the inside walls.  You can see where I’ll be removing the tops but note that some of the planks were glued to these structures.  I’ll need to be careful when removing them to ensure I don’t damage the planking.  

F35F8B59-09DF-45A8-AA60-5911F3C25962.jpeg

Rob

On 5/24/2020 at 3:41 AM, kjs said:

I still want to know how you're going to sneak those lower deck guns in.  I'm to the point  that I'm going to place the guns in the next few days and then the decking.

Hi Kjs - My plan for the aft quarterdeck guns will be to assemble them and then move them from midships to the respective port or starboard position.  I’ve left the planks off between the gun ports to aid in this process.  If the assembled guns do not fit - then, I’ll have some additional thinking to do.  Once positioned, it will be difficult to fully outfit the guns with the associated ropes, etc. - but a problem for yet another day.   Hope that helps and good luck with your build!

Rob

Working to add in the inner 0.5 x 4mm walnut planking.  I ended up removing the inner portions of the bulkhead sections, sanding them flush with the other support pieces and then placing the walnut planking along the various bulkhead sections.  Tough sanding in those tight spaces.

C60F6153-4B58-4EF0-91EB-CED8C4B744F3.jpeg

CF80C5F1-2D79-4960-9F08-9F9385D79BB1.jpeg

Rob

On 5/24/2020 at 2:44 AM, Emmet said:

Glad to have you back.  Remember putting masking tape on the frame tips when doing the La Nina. 

Maybe applying some heat to the plank near the tip will loosen the glue.

Thanks Emmet!   I ended up only removing the inner portion of the bulkhead tops, noting they will be hidden by the walnut planking.  More detail provided above.  Your ship is shaping up nicely!  

Rob

Have completed the starboard side.  I spent some time re-reading the directions and see that I need to paint these planks ochre. In this case I’ll paint the planks once they are applied, assuming I can find the correct color. I had all the model colors when I first purchased the kit in the early nineties, but they have long since degraded/dried up.  I’ll need to find the paint again.

Have started on the port side planking.  You can see there remains some sanding touch up yet to complete.  The build up of filler around some of the metal ports is not always easy to remove.  Lesson learned to be a little less liberal in adding the filler.

38556259-B96B-436E-93D4-DD5816990312.jpeg

4A88ECC2-6A38-4221-989E-FE62EC96B3F4.jpeg

Rob

Still ‘touching’ up the planking post sanding. Still adding filler with some further sanding to do.  There are also some large gaps between the top of the lead gun ports and the upper row of planking.  I’ve inserted some small wood filler pieces and will sand/fill them down.  Then, time to file down gun ports that protrude past the ship siding/surface.  The gun port edges should be flush with the ship siding.  Have completed the quarter deck inner planking for the insides.  Re-reading the instruction set for anything I may have missed.    I’m currently researching paint sources as it’s time to start some painting.  I’ve seen where several paint supply sources state their Victory paint set is out of stock.  Not sure if I should simply wait or not.  I’m looking at other modelshipworld.com resources for potential suppliers and am open to anyone with other sources.. Thanks in advance. 

Also, nearly time to begin the second layer of planking.  

2EF5700F-4696-490D-ABEB-AFF81DBC4915.jpeg

AFE19F55-5C52-4B47-9DE5-3C249A5C9ED9.jpeg

Rob

My favorite is Delta Ceramcoat paint.  

I used their black and “Antique Gold” for my Victory.  You can find it at Hobby Lobby or most other craft stores in the craft paint section.

I used copper tape for the coppering.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

2 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

My favorite is Delta Ceramcoat paint.  

I used their black and “Antique Gold” for my Victory.  You can find it at Hobby Lobby or most other craft stores in the craft paint section.

I used copper tape for the coppering.

Thanks GrandpaPhil; I’ll be sure to take a look!

Rob

I use Admiralty Paints and ordered an "Agamemnon" set from Cornwall Model Boats https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/HMS-Victory-Paint-Set-APS9014W.html#SID=339. They have acrylic paint sets adopted for Caldercraft so there is a kit for Caldercraft's Victory also, which is a bigger ship than your Mamoli kit. The kit I am thinking of contains 10 colors in 14 jars. I do not if it is worth the money + shipping from Europe to US but the paint is good and diluted it can also be air brushed (I have tried, it worked).

Regards

Henrik