Rob S

HMS Victory by Rob S - Mamoli - 1/90th scale - first timer!

As I continue working the coppering effort on the starboard side, I'm making use of the Mamoli provided green 'tiles'. I've noted that several of them are of a different dimension (both longer and wider) than the standard tile.  A bit frustrating when laying the tiles to later find out you've set one that puts the rest of the pattern off!  I'm setting them aside as I come across them and will use them to fill in any open spaces. 

On 5/31/2020 at 6:15 AM, Henke said:

I use Admiralty Paints and ordered an "Agamemnon" set from Cornwall Model Boats https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/HMS-Victory-Paint-Set-APS9014W.html#SID=339. They have acrylic paint sets adopted for Caldercraft so there is a kit for Caldercraft's Victory also, which is a bigger ship than your Mamoli kit. The kit I am thinking of contains 10 colors in 14 jars. I do not if it is worth the money + shipping from Europe to US but the paint is good and diluted it can also be air brushed (I have tried, it worked).

Regards

Henrik

I think I got the same paint set from Cornwall modelboats  "HMS Victory paint set"  a few years ago now, wonder how long it stays good for if they are unopened??

15 hours ago, kjs said:

Save the longer ones for the bow and filler pieces.  They will come in handy later.

OK, now it is making sense!  Thank you!  Coppering is continuing.  I’ve noticed some of the tiles on the bow section are sticking up and will need to be sanded.  This is due to the curvature of the bow.  I don’t think I’m supposed to bend them.  Almost done with the first thirteen (13) rows on the starboard side.  Then over to the port side and back to starboard to start the next section. 

CAA6E829-5FB1-47FA-AF2F-EACDF8181177.jpeg

2E0042AC-6849-4BA6-8205-6F638294F179.jpeg

7 hours ago, spider999 said:

I think I got the same paint set from Cornwall modelboats  "HMS Victory paint set"  a few years ago now, wonder how long it stays good for if they are unopened??

Good question.  I ended up throwing out my original paint set, but had lugged them around for 20+ years.  Hope you won’t be holding off that long!!

7 hours ago, Rob S said:

Good question.  I ended up throwing out my original paint set, but had lugged them around for 20+ years.  Hope you won’t be holding off that long!!

I bought mine about 10 years ago, only ever opened the yellow to paint the bulkheads on the upper decks, they are still unopened, so I will maybe paint the black/yellow next, nothing to lose, worst case scenario they are all dried up and i buy another set.  we'll see

Spider - Best of luck finding a good paint set.  I found that many sites were sold out.  I finally ordered through Cornwall although multiple modeler’s gave me some advice on how to put together a set.

I’m now through about 25% of the coppering having finished the upper section of the starboard side.  Have laid the first tile on the port side and will be starting there shortly.  I’ve included a ‘Where’s Waldo’ picture of the ship with the first port copper tile set.  I’ve also slightly reconfigured ‘the shipyard’ by attaching Mamoli’s scale drawing to help me directly see where things should go.  Nice now to have that directly in front of me while working.  Better late than never! 

F9E27013-787F-48D6-ABE9-315F8E8D52AC.jpeg

44AA7424-872A-4247-9A7A-165334101155.jpeg

DC37B603-65BB-405A-9D5F-7301D65AEFBA.jpeg

Port side coming along nicely... just one tile at a time.  I’m also noticing the port and starboard patterns do not perfectly match; hopefully the copper or greenish copper colors will help minimize the clear differences. I’ve measured where each section was started vs. depth below the center port, but the difference doesn’t seem to support where/how the patterns are off.   Once both sides have the thirteen rows of tiles, I’ll begin the second section for both sides. 

6BD4AB9B-A496-4B5B-A1D0-7D2FB3F87692.jpeg

110419EC-02B9-461C-A2DB-5E1EC9CEEFF7.jpeg

As I continue with the coppering exercise using these little green pieces of wood, the word of the day is ‘Symmetry’. An applicable sentence would be ‘The ship symmetry is clearly lacking.’  As I mentioned above I started the exercise at roughly the same place but had different results after laying 13 rows (per the instructions) on both port and starboard sides.  The result as coppering did not cover or end at the same places.  You can see the example of the stern where the file on the starboard side represents where I was and the tiles to the right were filled in.  I’m filling in the port side of the bow now.  See where mid ships the measurement of the ‘to go’ surface is close to exact (2 and 7/8 inches).    There will be some additional filler tiles as we continue to align with the waterline.   Then to complete the exercise as we work down to the keel. 

F410722A-9CD2-4D5C-904F-5F75BDCB83F9.jpeg

E70D52E2-CDA9-4FC1-9190-4F16A5F14B7F.jpeg

51CF6184-502B-47A1-ADB0-03C789DA146D.jpeg

Great detail!  I am still trying to understand the green wood idea.  How will it be finished?

Rob S,

Don't worry about the bumps in the planking tiles even though there extremely thin they will take a lot of sanding, also you will probably have half the bag left over so don't be chincy if you break one or sand too much you will have plenty left.

Also late to your log always read ahead with Mamoli instructions you'll find on page 6 you should have added to page 2 (example). 

Looks Good

John Allen

On 6/28/2020 at 7:47 AM, Emmet said:

Great detail!  I am still trying to understand the green wood idea.  How will it be finished?

Hey Emmet - The wood tiles are made of thin pieces of wood (0.5 x 4mm) made to represent the copper plates at and below the waterline. The green color can be modified to display tarnished copper. I’m not yet sure how I will color the tiles.

On 6/28/2020 at 8:43 AM, John Allen said:

Rob S,

Don't worry about the bumps in the planking tiles even though there extremely thin they will take a lot of sanding, also you will probably have half the bag left over so don't be chincy if you break one or sand too much you will have plenty left.

Also late to your log always read ahead with Mamoli instructions you'll find on page 6 you should have added to page 2 (example). 

Looks Good

John Allen

Thanks for the advice John, very good to know. It did seem like there were a lot of them. Also I’ll be sure to spend more time looking ahead at the instructions. 

This exercise is a mini planking task.  I’ve worked the tiles up from the midship section to the keel area on the starboard side.  You can see the tile curvature stretching to bow (top of picture) and stern (bottom of picture) areas.  I’ll be in a better position to adjust the tiles in these areas based on the number of rows required to cover the smaller spaces at each end.  So there are more tiles required to cover the midship area then at the ship ends.

Just call me ‘Captain Obvious’.  

F1FC29AD-8AC6-43D9-988F-D235C35DEAE5.jpeg

Progress as of today.  Still have some gaps to fill in for the starboard bow section.  The stern piece will follow after the port side bow area is complete. then the port side stern. Then the keel area/band.  Fortunately these small green tiles are easy to modify.  

IMG_2799.jpg

I apologize for an uninformed question, but can you explain the green copper tiles? I’ve seen copper plates and tape but this is the first time I’ve seen the green tiles. Are they part of the finish? Or do you eventually cover them? Nice work so far! I bet you’ll have quite a sense of satisfaction once these tiles are all done.

9 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

I apologize for an uninformed question, but can you explain the green copper tiles? I’ve seen copper plates and tape but this is the first time I’ve seen the green tiles. Are they part of the finish? Or do you eventually cover them? Nice work so far! I bet you’ll have quite a sense of satisfaction once these tiles are all done.

Not a problem. Mamoli provides these green tiles made of wood to imitate the copper tiles used on the actual ship. Mamoli states the ship scale negates the need to show the copper rivets. However, I’ve seen some copper plates that show the rivets fine.  The tile color is meant to replicate the tarnishing effect of the seawater on the copper. I’m currently undecided on whether to paint them copper or some other blend of copper/green/brown to show the effects of the seawater.  No need to cover them with anything but paint.  I decided to stay away from the copper tape.

Good question!

Thanks Rob

I have been considering scale and since my build is 98:1 the pieces should approximate 48” x14” tiles on Victory. That equates to about 0.5”x .14” or  12.5 mm x    3.6 mm. Not to get crazy but this is small. Just thinking.

Again thanks for the details in words and pictures.

Huh,,,,,first time Ive seen this method of representing coppering. I will have to keep track of this build. Keep up the good work.