HMS Victory by Rob S - Mamoli - 1/90th scale - first build

As I was reading through the instructions they read to implement steps a, b, c, d... and so on and then ‘before completing these steps, paint the transom ink black...’.  Of course I had already implemented the preceding steps.  Another lesson learned, be sure to continually read ahead... over and over again to make sure steps are completed in order.  Good news is it wasn’t too difficult to paint the transom black and carefully painting around the blue windows. While I was at it, I decided to begin painting the hull black in the right places.  Just starting now. 

9ED19714-C2E3-410A-A050-8D0B41C94EF1.jpeg

Rob

active projects: HMS Victory, Mamoli 1/90 scale

Yellow Ochre being applied to the gun decks.  Some of the black paint is still wet and was re-applied after the masking tape removed some of it. Total of two-2.5 coats applied in each color.  Some finer detailing still required. Good to see some color now being applied.

47D9CA0E-A77A-4E49-B5F9-A59BCEB74D52.jpeg

Rob

16 hours ago, Emmet said:

I am following your work Rob. I will not be back on the Victory until the Spring when I return home. You are making great progress.

Thanks Emmet! Appreciate the kind words. I hope you are doing well and wishing you the best. Stay safe and I look forward to your return and continuing work. 

Rob

9 hours ago, Rob S said:

Thanks Emmet! Appreciate the kind words. I hope you are doing well and wishing you the best. Stay safe and I look forward to your return and continuing work. 

I should have said I am working on the Santa Maria while I am away from my home base.  So I am still learning.

On 6/13/2020 at 12:36 AM, Rob S said:

Thanks kjs - I’ll need to do something likewise if I don’t find the extra HW.  Bummer about Y.T.; he did fantastic work.  I didn’t know anything about any pirated gear/items - but I know the forum is strict about this.  I better do some homework there so that I don’t find myself on the wrong side of the law here.  I will be looking at your log to see how the copper planking went.  I can do monotony.  :)

Rob,

I just found this build.  Great work so far given your learning curve!  Impressive!  What happened to Y.T.?

Bill

OK, worked out my marking jig per the Mamoli instructions and am nearly done with marking the waterline.  I’ll use a more permanent marker once I’m satisfied with the pencil lines. Still doing some fine tuning of the hull filling/sanding.  

3FE17C91-3648-4A61-8CF7-9C46EFF7A7B1.jpeg

B72B0D06-5D84-4A03-8DFF-D1B8E54F7347.jpeg

DAF6C5FA-D585-44B3-8058-DAAD15124E18.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Just starting the transom finishing of the stern windows after a short break.  The window material is a plastic base vs. the wood framing so I’m using a ‘super glue’ variant for the window/framing bond.  I just wish the glue worked as well bonding the material as between my fingers and the wood!?

There is a slight radius on the transom and to aid the bonding process, I actually soaked the wood and used my plank bender to set a slight ‘bend’ in the 1x2mm planks and then secured it in my plank bender apparatus while they dried to maintain the radius.  That helped with the actual placing and bonding as it is easier to hold the frames in place while the glue sets when the planks align with the surface. 

C3EEE375-5DF3-487C-A10B-62A38EBC9976.jpeg

Rob

Assembling the lower transom window framing with 1x2mm laths.  I’ve decided the wider (2mm) side of the lath will be placed against the windows rather than the thinner (1mm) sides. This seems consistent with the instructions however the material then covers up some of the window markings.  The same size lath is to be placed under the the bottom framing next before putting the inner planks between the windows. 

FED2FF1B-A9D0-4CED-B771-D5721C512CF0.jpeg

Rob

Continuing transom finishing.  Still working to understand the directions, but glad I have some Victory source material to aid with what pieces go where. Also painting the  metal railings yellow ochre.  I’ve shaped a molding piece for later inclusion above the lower windows.  The metal railings will go above the piece. 

EAC0B594-B816-4E34-8F2C-566D6B666C54.jpeg

704EC064-64D8-468D-8368-8D4DCE83ADB7.jpeg

43C8809D-AB74-4F51-A5F6-17DF1333A330.jpeg

Rob

Transom framing coming along. After shaping molding to better align with the transom surface, I still find it difficult to hold the pieces in place while the glue sets. You can see my mish-mash of tools used to keep the piece in place. Sometimes successful, other times not. Had a slight mishap with wet black paint but was able to get most of it off. You can see the remnants on the port side of the transom. 

454CB8A0-2400-408E-8126-49F19E16E525.jpeg

24200B60-2432-48D0-9716-D623877E15F3.jpeg

6AC6C6FF-1996-4619-A246-17A8A552C282.jpeg

Rob

Hello Rob S Merry Christmas and happy new year

very nice build i like your work,  You are making great progress and really fast
in approximately 1 year you did what i did in 10 year :)))

Completed Model: La Toulounaise

Current Build: HMS Victory, Mamoli kit, 1/90

On the Shelf: Corel HMS Victory Cross section

Taking an opportunity to prep for the next stage by painting the beakhead bulkhead with associated round houses as well as finishing the rudder before installing it. Also noted the transom had some missing planking that I’ve add to both port and starboard sides. You can see the build progression.

I will also be filling in some of the missing planking/deck area on the poop deck after removing the upper part of the aft bulkheads that show above the poop deck.  I also need to fill in some planking that is missing at the transom/ship hull interface.  So lots of ‘little’ things going on and still to do on the transom area before transitioning to the forward part of the ship. 

F427AD61-5DEB-4494-A50D-BA3DDCFB9E3F.jpeg

A98811F6-FB46-402B-9297-61500414BC2C.jpeg

A7EA8AA2-D2D2-40D7-A4EB-0939B548E6B7.jpeg

45BF3162-1EB4-4003-9B56-9DD50642A305.jpeg

DBA9AFEE-5123-4927-8DD7-C3BE001015C3.jpeg

Rob

Working the bow stanchions and finding it difficult to modify the 10mm x 2mm x 2mm walnut laths to show the detail (e.g., Timber Heads). I’m amazed at the abilities of those able to implement this level of detail.  Also need to do some cleanup on some of the paint. 

F09314C7-F08B-4488-8097-C4F07BEC94F1.jpeg

Rob

Building up the bow cheeks using 2mm x 3mm walnut laths per the instructions. The 3mm wide portion of the laths is glued to the surface. These size strips are difficult to shape, particularly along the 2mm side. I’ve left these planks (2) to soak now for over a day after attempting to shape the first two with mixed results.  These small walnut pieces will be built up and then shaped to form the upper and lower cheeks. Here is the starboard side progress. I’ve used a clamp to secure one side and had to nail a small piece of wood down to hold the other side down.  It takes time because I have to wait for each strip to dry which in this time of year takes a day. 

2E8EE62F-BE8E-45DE-825E-5388E90E636C.jpeg

Rob

Still working to build up the bow cheeks.. Slow going. I still haven’t found a good way to shape the walnut along the 2mm edge without breaking the wood. This is where my lack of experience working with wood is really obvious. However, I’ll continue look for a better way to shape these laths. 

1C8D6A0E-6CC8-4C7D-81FB-2B054548FB85.jpeg

E6CBAC36-7C16-473C-985B-288B1F71187C.jpeg

Rob

49 minutes ago, Henke said:

Rob, are you sure the bow hair brackets do not come as laser cut pieces with your kit? Please check?

Best regards

Henrik

Hi Henrik! Yes, correct. The Mamoli instructions call for an approach of building them up, layer by layer. No pre cut pieces I’m afraid. Hope you are well and thanks for asking:)

Rob