Ala-Kart by CDW - FINISHED - AMT - 1:25 Scale - Plastic

Laid down a couple of good coats of urethane clear (w/hardener) over my body parts with decals, as well as the refinished hood. Came out great, but it's hands-off for at least another 24 hours until it cures.

Got a little worried after the first coat over the decals, as it looked like tiny little fish eye pock marks over some of the decals. Thought maybe the decals had a bad reaction to the clear. But I realized when I applied the second (and last) coat, I needed to lay it down heavy and it came out smooth as glass. The clear urethane had no tendency to run and could take a heavy coat. Really nice paint combo, the acrylic color under the urethane clear. I was a little skeptical at first but it worked beautifully well I think.

The thing you have to remember with acrylics, particularly the metallics and pearls, there is little to no chance to fix a problem area because acrylic can't be sanded. If you try to sand it, it just rolls up and makes a mess. If it's bad, the best bet is to strip it down and do it over again.

I'll get some pictures later when it's safe to handle.

looks really nice.   I notice you didn't decal the other body parts....is that going to cause an imbalance?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

31 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

looks really nice.   I notice you didn't decal the other body parts....is that going to cause an imbalance?

It most certainly would cause an imbalance. However, I cannot decal the hood until the top coat cures, and the hood decals run over onto the nose piece, so it all must be done at one time. Will be working on that tomorrow after the paint has plenty of time to fully harden. Remember, I had to rework the hood because I didn't shoot enough pearl white on it to match the other parts. Fixed that.

look'in sweet! :wub:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Lookin' sharp.  I like it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Decal work is done now. All clear top coats are finished. Chassis assembly is 90% done with some details remaining. Lots of small trim work to be done on the body and bed, adding headlights, grill, tail lights, nerf bars, and bed rails/fuel tank cap.

Engine and transmission have been assembled and painted but needs to be installed along with the headers, firewall, radiator, and hoses.

Interior work needs finishing.

Of course, we still are without wheels and tires. 

More to come.

DSCN2505.thumb.JPG.53f55dd4caebfb4b41514fa897c815cb.JPGDSCN2506.thumb.JPG.6b8888cedc4f5d7ba8285608fa2099b6.JPGDSCN2507.thumb.JPG.7b4c871bd92c95c7ae856ef2f25e13b5.JPGDSCN2508.thumb.JPG.d098edb23060f166a398f7d243d0e07c.JPGDSCN2509.thumb.JPG.37b0c869f6b8f65335cd63752df92502.JPGDSCN2510.thumb.JPG.013a85e5a0e415df8ce4fc2d4deb1e86.JPG 

Here is something that any of you who build plastic models that include chrome plated parts, a product you'll be glad to have in your supplies.

I read where someone once said "they had never found any silver that could match chrome plating". While I agree a perfect match probably does not exist in reality, there is something that will cover those scratches and little spots where you've trimmed the plated parts from their sprue. An the best part is, it looks so much like chrome plating, the average person will never notice it's been touched up unless they have been told to examine it with a magnifying glass. It's that good. It's called a Molotow Chrome Pen. Comes in various tip size pens, very convenient to make pin point spot repairs or in larger tip sizes, larger areas. You use it like a Sharpie Marker, just be sure to give it a good shake before each use.

Here in these first two photos, you cab see where I trimmed the chrome at the front suspension spring locating points. The chrome plating has been scratched off where the parts were attached to sprue. The third photo is how they look after touchup with the Molotow pen. An invisible patch that will not be noticed by those who see your models. The most "chrome-looking" paint I have ever seen.

DSCN2511.thumb.JPG.2de6436ab67f5ff0352007e9ff0086be.JPGDSCN2512.thumb.JPG.09ff48047f08cce4a640657c4bfe32dc.JPGDSCN2513.thumb.JPG.965d7c655ecd6760363d07ae1d46d83b.JPGDSCN2514.thumb.JPG.418e31aa2a45885477fbac41834f824d.JPG

I might have a silver paint marker.......I know they do make a chrome silver now.    your progress is look'in great...sweet little rod!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

17 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I might have a silver paint marker.......I know they do make a chrome silver now.    your progress is look'in great...sweet little rod!  :) 

The Molotow is unlike any other chrome silver marker out there, I promise you that. It's the only one that actually looks like the chrome on the parts trees, not like silver paint. But hey, it's one of those things that's a buggaboo for me. Can't stand seeing touched up silver chrome parts. I would rather strip the chrome altogether and repaint everything with Alclad II chrome silver rather than have mismatched patched together chrome parts.

I know, I know...it's OCD, and I have it bad.

no....I don't think of it as OCD.  I have mentioned this in my projects as well.   the use of chrome in older models was considered cutting edge back in the day.  it gave the modeler the ability to add the shiny chrome where it was needed to give the model glitz.  it also added to the customization of the model if the kit supplied different versions.  touching up trimmed and nicked chrome has always been a peeve of mine........with the paint availability and choices of today,  chrome has become rather pas-se.  I tend to do quite a bit of de-chroming.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

These will be the last dry fit pictures I will take. The model should be finished either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Like many AMT, Revell, Monogram, and other early hot rod and stock models from years past, this kit has a few fit issues that are disappointing in the end. However, when you consider the low cost of the models to begin with along with the age of the tooling, it's understandable. Long ago, I always knew to buy at least 2 of any model I really wanted to be show quality. The first had to be built to learn the flaws inherent in it, and the second kit to correct the problems found with the first build.

DSCN2515.thumb.JPG.057319ea78963f9adc0b0ba5bcfd58f9.JPGDSCN2516.thumb.JPG.c365b35369d5ced0cac6e16d5c37a447.JPGDSCN2517.thumb.JPG.fcb11182ef42e37acc970f7f0e11c909.JPG

I realized that none of my photos included anything of the powerplant...the 241 cubic inch, fuel injected Hemi. To add to posterity, here are my only photos of the engine compartment.

I decided early on that fit issues with this model's body parts would prohibit me from leaving the hood as a removable unit. I decided to finish/model her with the hood closed and instead, show off the distinctive, colorful graphics and body paint. Another option would have been to possibly model it with the sides of the hood removed and leave just the top section. However, I have never seen the actual Ala-Kart displayed this way. Maybe if I ever decide to do another build of the same model, I'll go full monty on the engine and figure out a way to correct the fit issues. A competition build would require I do that so this one will be my shelf queen instead.

DSCN2518.JPG

DSCN2519.JPG

Very nice mate - very very nice  - sure is a stunner.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

really neat model! :)   must not be visible flaws........looks great to me  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Fit issues?  Not seeing them.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It will never fail to amaze me how fast and flawlessly you are able to make these masterpieces. I also find the color fascinating in how it changes in depth every time you move it to take another picture.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks much for all your kind comments. The flaws are there, it's just not show quality. Looks pretty decent but leaves a bitter taste in my mouth because I hate imperfection in my own work. Not that perfection could ever be achieved 100% but it's still what we shoot for, perfection, symmetry, and fully functional (to the degree a model will allow).

But all this goes back to the fact it takes me always at least two kits of each thing I build to get it right. At least two. I saw another set of these decals for sale but didn't buy them. I thought the shipping price was too high. Probably should have bought them anyway, because they won't be easy to find. The kit is not hard to find, but the decals...oh man.

That different look from different angles is a function of the pearl white and clear reflecting the colors of the decals. The model just wouldn't be the same without the decals. The kit ones are pure dog pile. Not fit for use.

I just now found and bought another set of Fred Kady Ala-Kart decals on Ebay. The postage charge was very fair this time, price as well. Maybe there will be a new and better Ala-Kart in my future. Got a lot of ideas I need to write down while it's fresh on my mind.

I don't know much about that 241 cubic inch hemi. Need to research it for super detail on the next model, plus figure out how I want to display an open hood. 

A high quality build will require a lot of details be added. 

Edited by CDW

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

5 minutes ago, lmagna said:

That 2nd set was the one I passed on yesterday. Shipping too high. Tonight I bought the 1st set. 😎

You'll have to do a bit digging for sure.  Hopefully you can find some pics of the Ala Kart engine area to help.  The magnito isn't that hard to wire up and the Hillborn injectors were pretty straight forward  there there were two variations to plumbing it.  One was a feed box with the lines coming out and running to each injector. The other was either one or two "rails" on top of the intake manifold with lines going to each injector.  I don't recall if there were return lines. There should be an injector pump mounted near the water pump as I don't think electric pumps were available back then for the Hillborns.  There would have linkage for the butterflies in the injectors.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

32 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

You'll have to do a bit digging for sure.  Hopefully you can find some pics of the Ala Kart engine area to help.  The magnito isn't that hard to wire up and the Hillborn injectors were pretty straight forward  there there were two variations to plumbing it.  One was a feed box with the lines coming out and running to each injector. The other was either one or two "rails" on top of the intake manifold with lines going to each injector.  I don't recall if there were return lines. There should be an injector pump mounted near the water pump as I don't think electric pumps were available back then for the Hillborns.  There would have linkage for the butterflies in the injectors.  

This kit came with two other options, both are different carburetor configurations. Four single barrels carbs inline. Don't know if that's fantasy, or if earlier versions of Ala-Kart was equipped with carbs. They even include the fuel lines for the carb setups. Need to start doing some serious research to pull this off. Maybe even the main library (been years since I did that last).

four single throats........that would be early.   don't think injection was common place.......late sixties and on.   then you saw TBI ,  sequential,  and other different combinations.   I've done some of the extra detail stuff,  but for me to do it,  the model has to be coming out really good,  or I don't see the use in it.  I did wires for the Jukebox Ford........too bad the decals weren't that great.

1166961962_1.jpg.3cacc55e2c4d37df3dcd29a555c86bd2.jpg

you'll likely find all you need on line.   the Sox & Martin engine had the detail for the fuel delivery molded onto the intake..the module and lines {the return line would be on the module}.

single barrel carbs was the way to go,  until the four barrel came out.  there was the dual throat,  but I've never heard of them being used for racing.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

7 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

four single throats........that would be early.   don't think injection was common place.......late sixties and on.   then you saw TBI ,  sequential,  and other different combinations.   I've done some of the extra detail stuff,  but for me to do it,  the model has to be coming out really good,  or I don't see the use in it.  I did wires for the Jukebox Ford........too bad the decals weren't that great.

you'll likely find all you need on line.   the Sox & Martin engine had the detail for the fuel delivery molded onto the intake..the module and lines {the return line would be on the module}.

single barrel carbs was the way to go,  until the four barrel came out.  there was the dual throat,  but I've never heard of them being used for racing.

Yes, I am certain the four carbs are early. The Ala-Kart was built in the 50's. The old short track stock cars all ran carbs, singles and two barrel. The large throat 2 barrel carbs were very popular in racing at one time. Lots and lots of muscle cars ran 3  2 barrel carb setups. I had an Offenhauser 3 single barrel carb manifold setup on my old '51 Chevy six cylinder when I was a teen.

I've never seen it.........but we wuz country folk.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ah, ok.  In the 50's?  I did have some brain faid.  Carbs it is then.  I just remember what I saw in the late 60's/early 70's.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: