AVOS by Peta_V - FINISHED - Master Korabel - scale 1/72 (exclusive kit) - Russian tender

Here is a short guide, how I do coils. 

I have a jig from the scrap wood with 3 removable pins (2,3,5) and 3 securing points (1,4,6).

IMG_20200320_100813.thumb.jpg.33934c0ffe2587b195d1e939afa1d8b7.jpg

1. Secure the line to point 1 and make several loops around pins 2 and 3. I do 4-6 loops so the coils does not look similar. (I start with removed pin 5). Once finished with loops secure the other end to point 4.

IMG_20200320_100921.thumb.jpg.68a057ef644890b89fd47e722f07534e.jpg

2. Unsecure line from point 1 and pull out the very first loop through the middle of the coil. IMG_20200320_100951.thumb.jpg.30cf5fcaf77303017ee330f987d6fedf.jpg

3. Now you have to twist this to form the eye and secure it with pin 5.

IMG_20200320_101028.thumb.jpg.0dcac1f7a4131e2035c07dccffdf97ed.jpg

4. Remove pin 2 and fully insert pin 5. Now you can adjust the coil as you want a once happy secure the end to point 6.

IMG_20200320_101118.thumb.jpg.38113f1f00682ef6f6f83c751627130f.jpg

5. Now I secure the coil with 3 drops of CA glue. One where the eye meets coil, second ať the bottom of the coil and third to secure the loose end to the coil. Remove the coil from the jig by removing pin 5 and trim the excess thread. 

IMG_20200320_101159.thumb.jpg.c87f213f29963fb7260330953cf7b5ff.jpg

6. Place the coil on the deck

IMG_20200320_101246.thumb.jpg.b9e5cc89968c29faf9a31fcc03baa0d3.jpg

Perhaps someone finds it usefull. 

Stay healthy! 

Peta_V 

That's a great technique, Peta. I hope you won't mind that I copied your last post and made a separate entry for it in the Masting & Rigging subforum. That way it can be more easily found by folks searching for help with this particular task.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thanks Peta for the how-to guide on making rope coils.  I will refer to this when I get to making rope coils on my build.  Your Avos is looking great.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

8 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

That's a great technique, Peta. I hope you won't mind that I copied your last post and made a separate entry for it in the Masting & Rigging subforum. That way it can be more easily found by folks searching for help with this particular task.

Cheers!

Sure, no problem!

Outstanding work. Really a very high quality model. Many thanks for sharing your work !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

6 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Absolutely stunning. I think "Master Korabel" should use your model for the box artwork and pictures of the finished model, in the instructions. What a Masterpiece!!!

Yves

I second this idea. An absolutely fantastic model.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

24 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

I am just over two weeks into the construction of this model and your photographs are a total inspiration for me. Thank you.

Chris

I would love to see your build. I am actually really suprised that there aren't much more building logs of this kit. It is such a great kit for reasonable price I would say! I hope you share your progress with MSW group. If you would need any of help, I'm happy to try.

@yvesvidal @Edwardkenway @JpR62 thank you guys for your kind comments, really appreciated!

Also thanks for all the likes!

1 hour ago, AgesOfSail said:

Absolutely beautiful. This is a very inspirational build. Thank your for sharing your construction methods.

I hope you don't mind if we share your build log with our customers. Sharing the link, at least.

No problem at all. I'm glad you like it and perhaps my log helps someone else. I like it! 

• 1 month later...

After a long time There is one small update. Unfortunately there is no free time to spent on AVOS these days :( but today I have received the Glass display. (so to do list is again little longer). At least one picture under the cover 

IMG_20200429_123000.jpg

• 7 months later...

Greetings, 

After a long brake the cold weather came to our area which could (I hope) give me some time for ships. 

There is not much missing on AVOS. rope coils on the cleats and flag. Possibly I add some small details. 

I have started with coils. First attempts after the brake. I guess I would need some warm up to get up to speed again. 

IMG_20201202_165501.jpg

IMG_20201202_165619.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, 

Actually no update on AVOS but I wanted to share thi video (and whole series) of the restauration of TalyHo. In this episode they are finishing planking and I love it so so much! 

The whole series is here. I really recommend watching it as there are many valuable "how to" explanations even for us, modellers. 

https://youtube.com/c/SampsonBoatCo

Enjoy. 

PetaV 

Yes the Talyho! I've been watching these guys remaking this ship. It's incredible and makes me want to work on a full size project like that one day.