Finally back but need some advice!

Zarkon

Hey all,

I have had a very tough year since August.  My son was diagnosed with chronic Auto Immune Hepititus. He spent 5 days at the hospital with acute liver failure.  My wife and I were terrified, and we still are trying to keep up with our new "Normal".  He was 3.5  when admitted.

Of course, my ship projects halted.  I put them away because there wasn't anytime to work on them.  After months of taking care of him all the time, he is getting better!

I then started a smaller ship, the Model Shipways 26ft Longboat.  I am almost done with it, and so I am now looking for my next ship model. I have enjoyed the kit and i really like how well the instructions are written!

I need some help to choose the next kit.  I need something bigger because, for me, the longboat was a little too small. The metal bits were giving me trouble! Haha!  And something that isnt very difficult.  I was thinking of a 1 or 2 mast ship.  Since I don't have too much time because I am busy with my son, something on the easier  side that helps build modeling skills would be best!  The ships I already have are too  big and complex for me right now.  I need a smaller project.

Any suggestions would be wonderful!!

Thanks!!!

Jeff

Glad your son is better, best wishes that he continues to improve.

Regards, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Very much appreciated Harley!

It is much better than even a few months ago. He used to have to get blood draws every week.  Now its every month. Also, he has been on steroids since August too.  The side effects of that are very hard to manage in a 3 year old.  But the good news is, he is on a much lower dosage now.

Thanks for the kind words!

Jeff

I'm sorry to read of all the stress that you and your family have been through. I'm glad that things are improving.

Another small project might be one of Chuck Passaro's Syren Ship Model Company's open boats. The Medway's longboat has a modest amount of rigging for you to get your teeth into.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I am happy your situation is improving.

I think I would continue work on your Hermione may be a better choice. You already have two unfinished kits.

Do you really need another? ☺️

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

I'm sorry about your son's condition but happy that he's doing better.

As for building... Druxey's advice is sound, in my opinion. .

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

The Medway longboat is really a great looking kit, and I will consider it for my next build!

After some thought, I think you guys are right.  I will continue with the Hermione kit next.  It will be a challenge because I did make a few snafus on the hull planking.  I will bring it out and make a fair assessment of what needs to be done to continue with the build.

Thanks for all your help!!

Jeff

Jeff,

I started my Hermione July 9 last year. This is my 1st larger model. 

And have made a lot of errors with it. I have been temped to make kindling wood out of it. 

I am now in the process installing the yards and sails and hope to have it finished by the end of next month. 

I have learned that I can buy'm faster than I can build them

RussR

Hermione 05_28-19.jpg

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Gidday Jeff.

I am saddened to here of your young blokes illness. I sincerely hope his course of medication is the answer we are all hoping for. Regarding your choice of model I agree with RussR about the Hermione. Believe me you really don't want half finished models all over the place. Not only is this not aesthetically pleasing it is also a constant reminder of mistakes not corrected and can easily demotivate you. Once you have assessed the Hermione let us know what your plan of attack is, we are all here to offer support and advise.

I wish you and your family only the best.

mark.

Thank you all for your support!

Russ, your ship looks great to me!! You use styraphome to hold the ship up while you work? Neat idea! You are right. It's easy to buy kitsch more than build them.

This is why I asked you guys for your opinion.  Tha is for your input and I am excited to continue the build again. I will be updating my build log soon with my assessment.

Thank you for your input Mark. It just solidifies that I need to continue on with the Hermione.

Thanks!

Jeff