USF Confederacy by ChrisLBren - 3/16 Scale - Finished

L'Orient really sounds promising.  I'd love to do that one with the Billy Ruffian sitting next to it when they were at the Battle of the Nile.   So many ships, so little time..<sigh>    

Enjoy the Zin.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris and I think the cheeks look superb, your carving ability is really coming along excellently! I hope when I get to that point on Pegasus I have the patience you have shown in learning that most difficult of skills.

Really well done mate.

Ben

Thanks Ben - was just editing a better photo when you sent your reply.  Honestly i think carving is the most important skill for scratch building - making frames and repetitive assemblies doesn't scare me with a  full frame build - its being able to do justice to these gorgeous vessels with sculpture - which is what draws the eye - thats the artistry.   Im feeling semi OK with carving rails/filargee - next is being able to carve humanity and not relying on Chucks beautiful resin copies painted to resemble wood.

Great job on the cheeks and carvings.   I'm hoping I can do half as well on mine as I agree with what you said about the carvings.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That looks very god Chris.  The painting of the trailboard and the figurehead are especially good and blend in very well with the wood.   

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ben - was just editing a better photo when you sent your reply.  Honestly i think carving is the most important skill for scratch building - making frames and repetitive assemblies doesn't scare me with a  full frame build - its being able to do justice to these gorgeous vessels with sculpture - which is what draws the eye - thats the artistry.   Im feeling semi OK with carving rails/filargee - next is being able to carve humanity and not relying on Chucks beautiful resin copies painted to resemble wood.

At least you have Chuck's beautiful sculptures to fall back on. It's hard to imagine any kit produced chunk of metal complementing your skillfully done model.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Beautiful work, Chris.  I'm taking it that you had doubts about them aligning?   I think the rest of us have faith in you given what you've already accomplished.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Chris, Of course they fit! It’s just a testament to the great care and patience

you have put into building her. Very nicely done. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 3 months later...

Chris,

I just had a look into your beautiful build`s Progress, and must say it realy gets me excited....

That is eyecandy all the way

Well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I'm still loving that Swiss pear Chris, looks beautiful with the oil finish.

Look forward to seeing you finish this baby off, maybe I'll get back to mine at some point but having way too much fun on the Pegasus.

Ben

Looks fantastic, Chris.  Now put away L'Orient....  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Mark - actually putting away the plans isn't too hard - I can't begin construction until we move to a new house for my next project.  Ben -  hate to say it - your progress is looking great on Pegasus - you may not ever get back to Confederacy now that you are working with better wood and have been bitten by the scratch building bug.  I've got a Wappen Von Hamburg hull along with a Bob Hunt Fair American hull unfinished sitting in my workshop - I doubt ill ever get back to them - its all a learning process. Nils - appreciate you checking in on my log !

Hi Chris,

I do intend to get back to my Confed, sometime, maybe when I need a break from Pegasus but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I can wait to see you start that 74 scratch.

Ben

Actually L'Orient is a 120 gunner - if I decide to dive off that high jump. 

But then you'll want to do the Billy Ruffian along side her at the Nile.  <ducks><runs for cover>

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Group,

I wanted to share this build log.  This model is gorgeous - built completely "Belgian Style" in all pear.  Leaning towards this approach for my next build - note no simulated caulking but joinery and fastenings are well articulated all in 1/36 scale.  

http://5500.forumactif.org/t671-modele-le-gros-ventre-au-1-36-par-gbesson 

Go for it, Chris.   You can do it!!!!

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Brian - big fan of your work and all of your posts here helping out.  

A friend of mine who is an architect blew up the plans of LGV to 1/36 to give me an idea of size - right around a 43 inch hull which is doable.  My passion is French Naval Architecture after reading Boudriot's 74 Gun Ship series.  As much as I love the idea of building L'Orient - she will be over 63 inches at 1/48 which just doesn't work for my space considerations.  I could shrink the plans to 1/64 and she is doable - but I don't want to build full frame anything smaller than 1/48 so she would have to be POB.  

So ( I could change my mind yet again) - but I want to build full frame so my next project will be LGV at 1/36.  At this scale you have so much room for detailing and sculptures are easier to realize.   She has an interesting history in connection with Western Australia and has elegant lines.  The 74 awaits in the wings if I ever finish this one !

As far as approach - it will either be exclusively pear wood (Belgian School) or i will use boxwood for sculptures as I do have some good English boxwood stashed.  No dying pear to resemble ebony, no simulated caulking, but all fastenings and joinery will be executed.  As far as finish - i want to explore some options - pure tung oil worked really well on Confederacy - but does involve buffing - which could be a nightmare on a full frame build with all of its nooks and crannies.  I may need to look into wax as a possible alternative.  Some of the French Modelers use old fashioned shellac which was used on the original museum models - very tricky in its application.  

More photos on Confederacy later this week,

Chris

Amazing work Chris.  After seeing your results, I'm taking that approach with my next build, the Corel Unicorn, that I would end up kit bashing anyway.  The three primary colors on your Confederacy work so well - I just hope I can execute it half as well as you do.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)