USF Confederacy by ChrisLBren - 3/16 Scale - Finished

• 3 months later...

At last the Shipyard re opens (well not the permanent one).  After getting estimates of building out my new workshop - I've decided to put that off until next year.  We have more pressing priorities with the house.  

So I made a trip to Home Depot - bought a great new tool chest that locks (which is great for child proofing) and a desk from Ikea and have set up shop in my library/office.  I've also dusted her off and cleaned her up.   Most of the messy parts of Confederacy are finished - all thats left is finishing the head rails, channels and deadeyes, and stump masts/anchors. I can always go saw in the garage if needed

I'm a bit stuck on the headrails - the forward most timber is proving to be a bear.  So I may finish up the channels and deadeyes so I can glue all of the gunport lids (these guys get knocked around easily) and then revisit the head.  

Im going on 6 years into this build as of end of November - really hoping to wrap it up this year.

post-1070-0-14275800-1439404762_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-28504100-1439404780_thumb.jpg

A superb effort Chris... 6 years well spent!

jp

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

WOW!  This is the first time I've looked in on your build log and I'm really glad I did.  You have a superb looking model going.  Your new house doesn't look too shabby either. ;-)  I too would like to see pictures of your new shop when you get it all set up.  Chris, while your models are great looking your kids are the ones that will win the blue ribbon.

Tom

Edited by wyzwyk

Thanks guys - Ive attached a photo of workshop B - (which will eventually be workshop A when its remodeled next year).  For now I'm using this space to saw and sand the remaining parts (which aren't many) on Confederacy - to spare the office of sawdust.  My Jim Saw is still safely packed away - waiting for the next project and a proper workbench ! 

And I have finally settled on the next project.  After going back and forth between Le Commerce (built as LOrient), the 74 Gun Ship and countless others - I have settled on Le Gros Ventre - built in 1/36 scale.  I am ordering the enlarged plans.  

The larger scale for a fully framed build is more approachable and not too big - the hull will be approximately 45 inches.  I could also potentially rig her - I have the space.  I also feel metal work (which I am a complete novice) and sculptures will be a bit easier to realize at this scale.  (not too mention as I age it will be easier on my eyes - LOL).  

Stay tuned for more pics as I wrap up Confederacy.  

post-1070-0-42638000-1439565241_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisLBren

yea...the eyes.....have to use 3 different diopter  reading glasses for different distances...............keep referring to your excellent model for guidance....notice extra gun port lids...makes sense.....just to confirm that your deck beams are red not just a trick of light....takes a lot to sand off the laser burn......cheers.....

Looking great Chris - nice set up you have.  Welcome back :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I'm using Chuck's deadeyes from Syren and a photo etch set for the chainplates from Expo.  The channels are ready - and Ive triple laminated boxwood for the knees for the channels - ready to be cut out.  Im hoping to assemble next week after vacation.  

post-1070-0-71633800-1439949309_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisLBren

Great to see you back at her Chris.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Nice to see you around again Chris, I feel your pain, we are moving house at the moment, both Pegasus and my Confed are boxed up, hope they survive the trip and time in storage while we get into our new house.

Your Confed is still a beauty!

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

It happened this AM - cutting some small knees for my channels on my Preac and I got careless - while feeding the timber with my left hand my right hand was on the table to catch the part and some how my middle finger grazed the blade on the underside of the table... It was only a slight but sliced the tip of my finger to and dig into my nail.

No MD necessary - but now I have a serious fear of these tools - and my Preac is nothing compared to its bigger brother the Jim Saw which is still boxed and waiting for the next project.

First time I've cut myself with any tool while modeling in 20 years....

Sorry to hear you and your preac had a fight. I'd say after twenty years unfortunately the law of averages was going to catch up with you. I on the other hand (pun intended) are way ahead of the curve. Heal fast so we can see more of your fine work.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Chris,

Not needing is an MD.  I'm surprised that first time in 20 years.  I've been bit by every tool (power and otherwise) that I own.  Luckily, minor damage.  But as they say, "there will be blood".    The good thing, if there is a good thing, is that we start being even more careful. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Finger still hurts a bit a week later but my model related injury hasn't stopped me !  Finishing Confederacy by year end or bust.....

Update - the foremast channels are installed.  I chose to paint Chucks nice boxwood deadeyes with Tamiya Flat Black paint.  If I use paint/dye again on my next model (which Im leaning more to a "Belgian school" approach of all Pear) I will not bother with Fiebings dye - Tamiya flat black with an overcoat of Watcos Danish Oil looks as good as Fiebings with far less trouble in application.  

This is may be my last build at this scale - thanks to a photo etch set from Model Expo Ive been able to realize the chainplate assemblies - soldering them this small would be a serious pain - kudos to you Rusty ! 

post-1070-0-04541200-1442069865_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisLBren

• 6 months later...

Don't try to meet any deadline.  Continue on at whatever pace is required to do the A1 job you are doing.  The model is gorgeous and is coming along nicely.   I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of the ship as you progress and your new shop when it's finished. 

You can NEVER let your guard down when you're working in the shop.  Even work with seemingly innocuous tools, when you're not paying attention, can end up hurting you.  Last week when cutting some bolts to length with the Dremel tool I had a small piece of metal find its way into my eye,  even with me wearing eye protection.  I had to go to the emergency room to have an ophthamologist look at it.  The eye was very red and sore for almost a week.  Apparently safety glasses weren't enough and I should have been using goggles or the full face shield.  Lesson learned ....the hard way.  You were lucky, as the accident could have been much worse.  You still have ten fingers.... possibly one a little numb at the tip.  :o

Tom

• 6 months later...