trippwj

Growing older, hurting badly

For the past few months I have had periodic pain in my right leg, generally after sitting and have been able to "walk it off".  Well, not anymore.  I worked Sunday and was barely able to move (or sit, or stand).  Fortunately, I only had to be at the Post Office while a crew was doing asbestos removal in the building.  I went to the Emergency Room straight from work the pain was so bad.

After xrays the initial diagnosis is severe scoliosis (curvature of spine) with probable pinched nerves.  MRI being scheduled (soon, I hope!).  Strong pain meds dull the pain for a short time after taking them.  Still very painful each time I change position.

Can you tell I am going stir crazy?  Can't work right now (my job involves alot of standing and walking), and associated hand weakness means no building.

After the MRI I will know more, but looks like surgery is in my future.  At least this hit after the snow is finished for the year!

I'm still around, though not as active on the forum.  If I can get comfortable I have a couple of research projects to finish up, but that's a big if!!!

So sorry to hear about your problems Wayne.

Having gone through much of the same mobility/strength/pain issues and three surgeries on my spine my feelings go out to you and I truly wish you the best.

Be very, very careful of those "strong pain meds" they seem to hand out like M&Ms these days. With a lot of them, it can be very easy to get hooked.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV. :D

Best of luck with it. Growing old is sure a bitch, but it beats the alternative.

My wife, the "supreme, grand poo-bah rear admiral of the white, for life", is also a doctor of chiropractic, and one of the very best. Talk to a local D.C. first, before you visit that surgeon. Your's is one of the most common back complaints that she hears, and Medicare covers it. FYI.

I agree with Frolic as well.

After my first two surgeries didn't work out as well as I would have liked, (They stopped the progression somewhat but not so much the discomfort) I went to a pretty good Chiropractor and within a few months he had me working fairly well again. All was relatively OK for several years when he retired and I was not able to find anyone who could repeat his abilities. Eventually my lower spine pretty much collapsed a couple of years ago, (I have lost 3-4" in height in about three years) and I had to go the surgery route again. I may have had to do it anyway but I am fully convinced that those few years of chiropractic treatment delayed the inevitable. Possibly by years.

And yes, if you get one of those doctors who feel there is better living through heavy drugs, run as fast as you can if possible. I have heard all to many horror stories about pain drugs over a long period of time!

Edited by lmagna

I heard about your troubles Wayne through a Face Book notification  {left you a comment} :(   I can also agree.....drugs are not the way to go.   I wish you well and hope there's a speedy recovery in store.

nothing to like about this thread....I'm a member of the restless leg

Thank you, all, for the kind thoughts and encouragement.  I am trying to stick with OTC meds as much as possible and only using the hydrocodone at bed time (that shift from vertical to horizontal brings an exquisite experience in pain.  The past few nights I have confessed to the Lindbergh kidnapping, 3 bank robberies, identified Jimmy Hoffa's grave and owned up to skipping gym class twice in 7th grade).

After a scare yesterday (she who must be obeyed at all times taken to hospital by ambulance - cardiac arythmias and passed out, but discharged and doing fine), I again suffered from the torture chairs in the ER, but doing better today.

Ah, for the good old days when I was 50, fat, dumb, and healthyish. 

You mean you didn't confess to being the mastermind behind both Dec 7th. AND 9/11? 

I would settle for when I was 65 looking forward to retirement at last and all of the "fun" things I was going to do! 

Edited by lmagna

That new stuff from the hemp plant, CBD oil I think, comes in a cream form that when rubbed into your skin may also give some relief.  The admiral swears by it for her knees which are pretty much bone on bone right now.  It comes in regular strength and extra strength formulas.

Edited by BETAQDAVE
typo

there is also a perscribable cream that does the same thing.......my admiral gets it.   the generic name for it is Diclofenac.  I've used it for my lower back and knees........works quite well.   I mentioned it on face book,  but have they talked about the nerves where they come from the spine.  calcification occurs and begins closing up the openings........my admiral had that surgery too.   she fell back in 1994.....ended up having part of a disc removed and shoulder problems a year later {related to the fall}.  a lot of doors open once you have surgery....so explore every other option and avoid it if you can.

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

there is also a perscribable cream that does the same thing.......my admiral gets it.   the generic name for it is Diclofenac.  I've used it for my lower back and knees........works quite well.   I mentioned it on face book,  but have they talked about the nerves where they come from the spine.  calcification occurs and begins closing up the openings........my admiral had that surgery too.   she fell back in 1994.....ended up having part of a disc removed and shoulder problems a year later {related to the fall}.  a lot of doors open once you have surgery....so explore every other option and avoid it if you can.

Thanks, denis.  I get an MRI tomorrow then meet with the doctor a week later (scheduling and so on).  I hope to have some idea of what my options are after that.  Worst part was having to file an accident report at work (long story  - short version is that while sitting in a chair on Sunday the pain suddenly became unbearable...) and not being able to work (or do much of anything else) since.  Prednisone seems to be most effective at reducing the pain at present - got a great night sleep last night!

yes....work can be a pain.   I cut my little finger...it was a good one,  but not enough to warrant going to the doctors or missing a day at work.  they still wrote me up for the incident though.....I wasn't being safe enough.

Wayne,

Sorry to hear about your body's problems. I know the feeling, fortunately not as severe as yours. Mine was solved as Frolic advised. At first I was sent to a fysiotherapist, but that worked temporary. Recently I have been tortured by a D.C. which solved the problem. I do have to take car with heavy work and keep an eye on my posture, but the ole body still does it work. Warm baths, and other "heating" potions didn't work for me. The excercises I got did.

Take Wayne

Wayne,

I belong to the crippled crew too, all good advice.

1. Do your research

2. There are bad Surgeons, Orthopedists, and Chiropractors, due diligence check references, check internet postings on their backgrounds. The information is out there.

3. A cage as a last resort (fusion of the disks).

4. Hopefully it may be sciatica pinched nerve that can be taken care of easily.

I had an Orthopedist botch a procedure and did the wrong disk and wanted to due other surgeries.  there were other alternatives.

Acupuncture helped my sciatica

Laser surgery where they remove dead tissue from the disk is the best thing to come along in years have had 3. Quick and outpatient surgery.

Due diligence references 2nd and maybe 3rd opinions investigate it is your right and ask questions a lot of questions. 

Good Luck

John

Way back in 69, I had diving accident at my university's' pool on the high dive.  It was called an inward dive where, standing on your toes at the very end of the board and facing it, you spring back and dive toward the board.  The spring of the board throws you (hopefully) away from the board allowing you to clear it and perform the rest of your dive maneuver before hitting the water below.  While making this dive your score is partially based on how close you come to the board. (The closer you get, the higher your score.)

Well, you can’t come any closer than I did!  :default_wallbash:Luckily my hands were out in front of me as I hit my head on the board and fell into the water below.  The next thing I knew, I was at the bottom of the pool and swimming to the surface with the coach running over asking if I was alright.  I had apparently lost consciousness until I hit the water, because as I tried to wave him off, I noticed that both of my hands were bleeding and couldn’t remember what happened.

That was the start of my back problems, as an exam revealed two stress fractures in my neck.  While painful, I was still able to function normally except frequent for needing dozens of trips to a chiropractor. For years after that incident I needed regular visits for therapy, but except for an occasional stiff neck now, I have pretty much recovered from that incident.  

Then in 83, I had a work related accident while carrying an awkward and heavy box down some stairs, I twisted my back somehow.  It was several minutes before I noticed that something was wrong when I bent down to pick something up off the floor and couldn’t stand up without leaning on a nearby desk.  After X-rays revealed two vertebra in my lower back were offset slightly and were pinching the nerves it was more trips to several different chiropractors.  (A good lesson here is to turn your whole body rather than just twisting your back when carrying heavy loads.)

I spent a year seeing chiropractors that if you hurt before being treated, you felt worse when you left.  I finally saw an osteopath (kind of a combination chiropractor and orthopedic surgeon) who was recommended to me by a fellow worker that got things under control. (As John said there are good and bad medical people out there, try to find one that is recommended by people you know.)

Then in 02, I fell backwards onto a concrete floor and fractured my L2 and L3 vertebra's.  The pain varied depending on your activity, but these injuries turned into a kind of grin and bear it recovery as it slowly healed itself after a few months. Luckily for me the pain never got to the point of forcing me to take heavy meds as a few Tylenol once in a while sufficed.

However, all of damage caused by these injuries kind accumulated and grew to cause a lot of continually nagging discomfort until 2011 when I fell and broke my ankle in three places.  After surgery, I went nine weeks without putting any weight on it and after a futile three year effort to walk again; I became permanently confined to a wheelchair.

Oh poor poor pitiful me, right?  Well sometimes there is a silver lining where you least expect to find it.  Since being in the wheelchair my back problems have essentially disappeared!  Coincidence?  Perhaps.  Or maybe being stuck in this chair all the time was just what my back needed to relieve the strain on it. 

Of course I’m not saying that everyone needs to be in a wheelchair for relief of nagging back problems, but for whatever reason, in my case it seems to help.  After all, for me it’s been almost eight years now without any recurring back problems. (Knock on wood)  Hopefully you will also find something or someone that gives you some relief soon.   

I don't know if putting a like on that story is a good things or not.

I also noticed in the hospital that my back issues were virtually gone, and continued to be gone for the full ten weeks of not using my foot or left leg in general. I wrote it off to all of the wonderful drugs they were giving me at first, and even though I quit taking them after a couple of weeks, (Strong pain meds frighten me) I thought it might be a left over effect. It was kind of enjoyable as I have not been pain free for years.

But alas, I started using my foot again last week and even though I only limp along kind of slowly for the most part my back is really a much bigger part of the issue than the foot! The pain and stiffness in my lower back and hips has come back in spades.

I was hoping it would be otherwise. Now that summer is coming I would LOVE to slap a pack on and disappear into the woods for a few days. But I'm afraid that if I tried that I would either not get far enough to get out of the parking lot. Or run out of steam just far enough out to be un-locatable.

On 5/29/2019 at 2:33 AM, popeye the sailor said:

I heard about your troubles Wayne through a Face Book notification  {left you a comment} :(   I can also agree.....drugs are not the way to go.   I wish you well and hope there's a speedy recovery in store.

nothing to like about this thread....I'm a member of the restless leg

Had to quickly drop in here and ask denis  -  do you suffer from  R.L.S  Restless Legs Syndrome?

OC.

Just thought I would give a quick update.  Leg and back pain are pretty well gone now, only crop up on occasion.  Good news is no surgery required.  Bad news is that it is going to be chronic and degenerative.  Unable to return to my former job due to restrictions on activities (lifting, bending, stooping, twisting and so on - basically, I can sit, stand, walk and keyboard).  Not many openings for that type of work in these parts, so since I am now out of leave (managed to stretch to just over 5 months) I am seeking unemployment assistance and a disability retirement.  Both will take time to process.

Other than that, I am holding up well and will possibly get back to the Emma C. Berry planking over the winter.

Sort of sad to see the end of my working careers coming to an end earlier than we had anticipated, but I suppose I am ready for the next stage of life!

Is there some correlation between model builders and medical problems? Maybe hunching over a workbench for hours on end or scrambling after a microscopic piece of PE isn't good for us older folks.

Will that stop us? No! Just slow us down a bit. 🤕

So at 81 with previous open heart surgery, hip replacement, shoulder cuff surgery, and engaging in every activity that can screw ones hearing up, I think I'll tackle a 1/200 plastic monster or finish my Confederacy.

Hope you all feel better and can find the answers to your pain problems.

Cheers- - -

sorry to hear of your progress Wayne.........injuries that involve repetitive motions are usually hard to recover from,  especially when ya have to do them on a daily basis {kinda sounds like what you have}.  I am glad to hear your to the point where you can get around OK.  while retirement is something I hope for,  I hope something comes your way to continue working {there must be something out there}.  even if it doesn't pay what your currently making,  the mental stability will be priceless ;)   wish you the best my friend :)