HMS HOOD by Salty Dog - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC - w/Pontos PE

14 hours ago, cog said:

Every once in a while we need a thumbs up, that's the way to stay motivated, and finish our build. It's not as easy as we sometimes think ourselves when we start a new build. I know I will have a hard time getting my current build done, the PE will be giving me screwed eyes and splitting headaches. Without the visitors giving advice it would be hard, but those whom give moral support are even more important, even the practical jokes have their moments

You are doing fine, keep it up. If you feel the dark creepin' up on you, you can always paint her pink ...

Oooooo, I do like pink and maybe even purple accents.

You could always use Mountbatten or Plymouth pink! It came in various tones of pink and was used for both ships and aircraft in WWII. Or better yet remember the GATO sub in "Operation Petticoat".

image.png.444dcbf06e0024578dfa5a2415fae4ec.png

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

17 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I don't feel I'm representing anything but my own creativity and ideas. But most of all, I'm having fun.

Here's a good example also.   He's using a "what if" and it's turning out quite well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

Holy carp! I'm in LA and we're getting rocked with these quakes! You can never get used to them! Just had a very strong one.  They're saying 7.1.

Stay safe!

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

I agree with Jim, be safe.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

likewise............stay safe! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Quiet tonight after 2 days of major quakes. Got some work done.

I worked on the main mast top:

IMG_0219.thumb.JPG.d9ff73819bb6b141fffa6aba0c7f0d67.JPG

Things started nice and mellow, then went bananas with some very intricate stuff, including some nightmarish radar things.  These are some of the parts:

IMG_0218.thumb.JPG.b7e05e8df28f0ed57dda13a3ae82e8ec.JPG

What the hell is a caduceus doing here?! Goes at the very top. Some kind of RF receiving stuff? 

When I did the Mikasa, I left all the faux PE rigging unpainted and it kinda bugged me.  This time, I painted the "cable" parts.  I like how it looks.  Again, very very touchy stuff. Was glad to get it finished! I don't even know how I'm going to get it on top of the mast without knocking parts off.  Hope you guys like it.

IMG_0220.thumb.JPG.81319cd1fe74bd7e312b4572752d3349.JPGIMG_0221.thumb.JPG.00c8f5418ccc50dc2ffb1bece6b8be7f.JPGIMG_0224.thumb.JPG.c90a3b23f34cbabf68a0c807c4a6c1da.JPGIMG_0225.thumb.JPG.97498809a7e60247d05aac97c6f158cc.JPGIMG_0222.thumb.JPG.e28dbbb6f2a32a29b873a1130fd8431a.JPG

I also did the ship bells.

IMG_0226.thumb.JPG.0d2230c5985e5e3e631c81c2bec72028.JPG

Edited by Salty Dog

23 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

So hideous!

It could be worse. Remember at one point a sub REALLY was painted that shade of pink! Even if it was only for a movie. All movie stars have to wear makeup. This time it was the USS. Balao SS-285 pretending to be the USS Sea Tiger. Quite a change for a sub with ten war patrols in WWII. She was not decommissioned until 1963. Quite a life. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

16 minutes ago, lmagna said:

It could be worse. Remember at one point a sub REALLY was painted that shade of pink! Even if it was only for a movie. All movie stars have to wear makeup. This time it was the USS. Balao SS-285 pretending to be the USS Sea Tiger. Quite a change for a sub with ten war patrols in WWII. She was not decommissioned until 1963. Quite a life. 

I don't know man. Looks like a giant floating sex toy to me.

26 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Looks like a giant floating sex toy to me.

OUCH!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:48 PM, cog said:

Hence the pink ...

Their problem was all they had was *some* Red oxide and *some* white Oxide primer and by mixing them they had enough to prime the sub)Pink)....planning to paint the entire Sea Tiger grey...but, the Japanese navy attacked them before they did paint over the pink.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hello all,

It's been spooky quiet today. Only tiny aftershocks that at this distance you can't feel them at all.  But every time you hear something crack or squeak, you stop to feel. Not fun.

Anyway, tonight I worked on the guns.  The big ones. Although there are only 4 on the ship, because of the dual frets, you get 6.  Which is a waste.  The blast bags are resin.  I decided to give the barrels the "heat" treatment like I did the smokestacks.  In the pictures they are very exaggerated in colors. They are much more subtle in person. Not nearly as purple as they look in the pics. Same goes for the funnels.  They just look way too colorful. Each one of the 4 guns is different in what parts are on them.  The one I I finished has the most parts.  Hope you like.

IMG_0228.thumb.JPG.ac91cb1b0fe424088f133c796dc0c22d.JPGIMG_0229.thumb.JPG.b3d18ad1da1a86386a5468cbe6e442fa.JPGIMG_0227.thumb.JPG.84f9241d297882c8fe4ad3b8340e55a6.JPG

Wonderful work...….

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hello,

I got some gun work done tonight.  I have to build 7 of these goodies:

15209466_7-10-201911-06-47PM.jpg.803e42637ba6ca1546e38b9b83f92c71.jpg

This is the fret with some of the gun parts:

IMG_0231.thumb.JPG.f7fa732ae4ed62faa62a07dfb8623418.JPG

These are the parts for just one of these:

IMG_0230.thumb.JPG.be8a4cc3eb9e68a935ebfec00d3733f2.JPG

This is the finished gun before placing the armor dome over it:

IMG_0234.thumb.JPG.e3c0ed565408341c58ebdf3a7cb10e03.JPG

Tomorrow I will place the covers on the guns and promptly cover all that gorgeous detail and work!

13 hours ago, pontiachedmark said:

Gidday Salty Dog.

She sure is looking good.

I am enjoying this build immensely.

Wishing you all the best.
Mark.

Thank you Mark! It will be time to start working on the hull soon.  It's got some wicked degaussing coils. That's going to be a lot of fun! 🥴

I can so relate to alot of the fittings - armour on your Hood, as they where very similar to the Warspite I built   - superb work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

and they make it look so easy too.........great looking progress :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Good eve,

I finished the 4 inch HA guns:

IMG_0239.thumb.JPG.ce03c240be64e98d19a88fd8238fd0ab.JPG

I am going to leave one uncovered just to show off the detail. They even have little seats!!  I'm just going to set the "hood" next to it.

IMG_0238.thumb.JPG.5ddbde4dac7f4e85fbb8c160712336b0.JPGIMG_0237.thumb.JPG.547cd7f6c765b92ed419fdf5dc67175a.JPG

Tomorrow are the pompoms!!!'

559733676_7-11-201910-33-10PM.thumb.jpg.4eb001505287374de5e7fd9c9f59dff1.jpg

Look at all that fiddly crap! I have been looking forward to this since the beginning since it is incredibly detailed.  After surgery to the original parts, you're pretty much left with nothing and rebuild it all with brass. Very nice.

To those watching this blog and saying nice things, I just want to say anyone can do it. I turn 60 this year. I have diabetes, I have had surgery to my eyes, I just don't have the same vision I did a long time ago nor the "hand eye" coordination, but as long as you don't shake too much, you can do it. I fortunately have pretty steady hands and good enough vision (thanks to reading glasses!), that I can do this. A steady hand, in my opinions is even more important than perfect vision. NOTHING will keep you from shaking, and even a tiny shake can have some disastrous consequences. So give it a try! Start with something with less detail. The 1/200 kits from Trumpeter come with some PE included that you can practice with. Or you can go for a 1/350 with included PE. Anyone can do it.

Thanks again for the compliments!

like everything else......it takes practice ;)   I'll be 63 come August.......not too late to teach an older dog new tricks ;)   it's not the easiest....but I like the outcome.  I prefer painted though,  although the unpainted models look great too.  the effort really shows in the finished model :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: