HMS HOOD by Salty Dog - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC - w/Pontos PE

Sometimes I think it is not in the vision, nor the hand-eye, or something like that that does make you fit for the job. (although it may be helpful to have some basic levels at those too). I am completely blown away by the level of patience and determination you guys have with this PE-stuff. That is why I have so much admiration. I would rather quickly come to the point: what the heck, from a distance of around 1.5 meter everything looks OK.

Jan

I mainly build aircraft and have used a bit of PE over the years but ships is a whole other story it really adds another level of detail and it's "Visible" .I kinda botched one part of my build by taking a step backwards to install a section of PE poor planning on my part. I still love that Black and Gold effect.

;) Kevin

Great work on the pom pom, that is some serious hard work, I build a four barreled one at 1/350 to use on a destroyer, but it was to big (can you imagine?) I still find they don't look as nice as the other guns ... 

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Pompom time! I finally dug in and completed one.  Fortunately there are only 3. Although they have LOTS of parts, it was pretty straight forward....NO thanks to Pontos. You have to really take a good look and dry fit everything to get it right. But when you're done, these things are almost operational! I was just waiting for it to misfire by accident! Very nice little things.  Notice that I put it on top of a quarter in one of the pictures for reference.

IMG_0240.thumb.JPG.42bbe995590bd84c727e27543a395339.JPGIMG_0241.thumb.JPG.8e88dbf9253fb1ec17ce06178f9bb18c.JPGIMG_0242.thumb.JPG.5c4d3e78de3c9b54f984437f05d45d3a.JPGIMG_0245.thumb.JPG.3c20fbc3a2cf8416c01e8d86c0a7a004.JPG

Edited by Salty Dog

Hi guys,

Tonight I finished the 2nd out of 3 pompoms.  Before I start the 3rd and last, I figured I'd take a picture of all the parts involved in the assembly.  Notice how there are only 2 parts from the original plastic kit. All the rest is brass!  Tomorrow I finish them all.IMG_0246.thumb.JPG.1cde26f388803a6751b6506568e0b08d.JPG

7 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Hi guys,

Tonight I finished the 2nd out of 3 pompoms.  Before I start the 3rd and last, I figured I'd take a picture of all the parts involved in the assembly.  Notice how there are only 2 parts from the original plastic kit. All the rest is brass!  Tomorrow I finish them all.

If I remember correctly, the 1:350 Pontos pom poms came with a resin breach, otherwise, they are almost identical to your 1:200 gun parts just scaled down. Interesting and impressive looking guns when finished. I've read the guns had a rather short range but I'll bet with all the tracers flying they were impressive to see in actual combat. 

Honestly, I don't know how you do stuff that small.  Very impressive and looks very lifelike.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

15 hours ago, CDW said:

I found my picture...the 1:350 guns come with a resin platform and a resin breach

As I mentioned before, I really dislike resin. I'm glad they had you use the plastic after cleaning it up, rather than resin parts in the 1/200 kit. I just don't get what the big deal is with resin. Otherwise, the parts are very similar. Obviously, at a larger scale, you can add even more parts! Fun!

Edited by Salty Dog

18 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

As I mentioned before, I really dislike resin. I'm glad they had you use the plastic after cleaning it up, rather than resin parts in the 1/200 kit. I just don't get what the big deal is with resin. Otherwise, the parts are very similar. Obviously, at a larger scale, you can add even more parts! Fun!

With some kits like your 1:200 Trumpeter Hood, the plastic parts are done well enough to allow their use, but the old 1:350 Tamiya King George V had such poor plastic gun parts, they replaced the parts with resin. The reason resin is used instead of injection molded plastic is due to the cost of creating the molds. It costs WAY more to create a mold for injection plastic versus a mold for resin. It's a budget constraint. Mold making is THE major cost of manufacturing any model kit. It takes a lot of sales of a kit to recover the cost of just creating the molds. These Pontos sets are what the industry calls "limited run" items. Once a certain small number of copies are made, the molds are shot and must be discarded and new ones made to make additional production runs.

17 hours ago, CDW said:

I found my picture...the 1:350 guns come with a resin platform and a resin breach

DSCN0878.JPG

I remember building those   - 

OC.

DSC00235.JPG

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

4 hours ago, CDW said:

With some kits like your 1:200 Trumpeter Hood, the plastic parts are done well enough to allow their use, but the old 1:350 Tamiya King George V had such poor plastic gun parts, they replaced the parts with resin. The reason resin is used instead of injection molded plastic is due to the cost of creating the molds. It costs WAY more to create a mold for injection plastic versus a mold for resin. It's a budget constraint. Mold making is THE major cost of manufacturing any model kit. It takes a lot of sales of a kit to recover the cost of just creating the molds. These Pontos sets are what the industry calls "limited run" items. Once a certain small number of copies are made, the molds are shot and must be discarded and new ones made to make additional production runs.

I can see if resin parts are included to either add detail or enhance, but when they want to replace plastic that's as nice or better, then it's a waste of time.  As Carl said above, I believe they often use it to increase the price of the kits. Pontos will sell one upgrade kit, then offer another, and offer tons of resin stuff not included in the first kit. If I bought one of those "deluxe" kits, it would be for the extra PE, NOT the resin. Maybe there was a time when injection just didn't cut it, but nowadays, they have amazing detail.

Well, I finished the Pompoms, and as fidgety as they were, the were NOTHING in comparison to the current ones.  The famous Quadruple guns. This is by far, the most obscure and difficult assembly yet. Pontos supplied tons of tiny parts, and because they rely on their pictures to show how they are assembled, good luck interpreting them! The parts are really small. You glue one, and when you go to glue another, you knock off the one you just glued. There is barely any surface contact between parts. Some are very thin and require multiple folds, which leave the finished part looking very wonky and shaky.  There's a limit to how small you can go, and have a stable assembly and I think this is it. I got so far and have about 4 parts left and have no idea where and how they go. I'm not crazy with how they look and am tempted to just go with the kit parts. What do you guys think?

These are the instructions:

690329019_7-14-201910-58-52PM.thumb.jpg.30330393cb018880a9ee1b8758ebf251.jpg723113844_7-14-201910-58-17PM.jpg.56735bce1fe717071da7bbd9b671e6d8.jpg758510591_7-14-201910-57-31PM.jpg.743121710d0cb27475d748c59fd64205.jpg848894829_7-14-201910-56-39PM.thumb.jpg.3c976288e31327f2a89722b773a9f8b3.jpg

This is where I'm at:

IMG_0249.thumb.JPG.509583966ce0c778648a15054824c98f.JPGIMG_0250.thumb.JPG.ec1335fe10164aa94a3cb107c00d4eed.JPGIMG_0251.thumb.JPG.6839706d6db6e599e0bbb2d28035b970.JPGIMG_0252.thumb.JPG.4262fe6a838338a59228244adde49ad6.JPG

Just as an example, why can't Pontos supply illustrations such as the ones that Eduard supplies? Much clearer and informative than just simple pictures. No mistaking where parts go and how they are bent.  Here's what they offer for the 1/200 Hood:

941316231_7-14-201911-15-04PM.thumb.jpg.b2413bdfd5c0cace2139bbe856b563fc.jpg2079392272_7-14-201911-14-30PM.jpg.3257988f86c2caa0a84c4fde9ba0d7d1.jpg

Edited by Salty Dog

Gidday Salty Dog.

I am liking this PE.

The build looks like it is progressing well.

By the way a 1968 Parisienne, very much like the U.S. Bonneville.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavours.

Mark.

Edited by pontiachedmark
Remove a word.

10 hours ago, pontiachedmark said:

Gidday Salty Dog.

I am liking this PE.

The build looks like it is progressing well.

By the way a 1968 Parisienne, very much like as the U.S. Bonneville.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavours.

Mark.

Very nice cars.  I have owned 3 Grand Prix's. 2 69's and one 79. Loved them all.

7 hours ago, CDW said:

What you've done with the quads so far looks nice, but I don't know how those compare to the kit quads. Maybe some kind of combination of kit and Pontos parts would look good as well. 

Thanks. Going to try to attach the remaining parts and obviously the base and see what they look like. In the scheme of things, with the entire ship finished and so much to look at, I doubt anyone but gun nuts would really zero in on those guns.  By the way, it's been a month and Pontos never sent me the missing parts for those paravanes.

Hello people,

I finished the quads and this is as good as it's going to get. Just way too delicate and badly documented. I did some work with the launchers today and then come the paravanes. Before I start buttoning stuff up, I have to spray everything with some clear to get rid of that CA frosting. Sometime back, I was watching a "police" show and they actually use cyanoacrylate to lift prints! No for the stickiness, but for the outgassing and frosting. They will allow the CA to emit its stuff and the prints become visible due to the "frosting" effect. The very same thing that happens when building models! I hate that!

Anyway, here's the quads.

IMG_0253.thumb.JPG.cdb898b6c92b57f7bf5bcab6d1d35d0a.JPGIMG_0254.thumb.JPG.c93c5f6d03a213ecc4f296e8908f321f.JPG