Pro Stock 1987 Ford Thunderbird by CDW - FINISHED - Revell - 1:25 Scale - Plastic

14 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Does it weaken the glue joints for parts that have already been glued on? I have a Porsche that is probably at the stage that it would be better to start all over rather than do touch-up work.

No, it doesn't harm the glue joints at all.

By the way, this stuff is designed as a cleaner/degreaser as shown on the label, but it is so strong, it will remove your auto paint underneath your hood if you leave it on too long. Oxidizes polished aluminum, too.

swell looking paint job....that's a neat little stand you got there ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

19 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

swell looking paint job....that's a neat little stand you got there ;) 

Thanks Denis. I bought that Tamiya paint stand quite a few years ago and it has lasted very well. it actually comes with two different stands. I'll take a picture of the other one it comes with. Both rotate like a lazy susan and it's handy to paint things while attached to it. 

sure beats my board with the four screws in it  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

1 minute ago, popeye the sailor said:

sure beats my board with the four screws in it  ;) 

Sometimes, the very best solution to problems are something you make yourself for (almost) free.

I have a few blocks of styrofoam that I poke bamboo skewers into and then attach small parts to the skewers with blue tack and use those as paint stands for small parts. But with the car bodies, I like to have something that secures the body so it won't fall off while painting it.

I have that same paint stand and I think ALL it has ever been used for has been car bodies!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 6/8/2019 at 5:00 PM, CDW said:

Here, the red (Tamiya gloss red acrylic through my airbrush) has gone down and now all that's left is a few touch-ups where some minor over spray got on my white

A tip to avoid the bleed under the tape with the second color - after you have the masking tape in place for the second color - in this case over the white, lightly spray the edge of the tape with some of the white paint.  If there is any bleed under the tape it will be white and it will never bee seen.  The addition of the light mist of white seals the edge of the tape to prevent any of the red bleeding under.  Do not spray towards the white at the edge of the tape or you will get a build up.  Just a mist and at close to 90 degrees.

This should solve any bleed issues assuming the tape is tight to the surface.

Hope this helps next time.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

The Admiral is in charge of the TV controller at home, which is well with me because there's little - nothing I want to see on television most of the time.

But after Mass yesterday, she and I went to a favorite pasta restaurant to sit down for a meal and bring something home for the kids. They have these big television sets at the restaurant and I began watching Funny Cars competing through an elimination series. I was amazed at how fast they are now compared to when I last watched them. They were running quarter mile times in under 4 seconds almost every round. Astounding how fast and consistent these cars are today. And a blown Funny Car Toyota? You've got to be kidding me. Man, oh man, I am behind times. 😕

CDW, I think many of are behind the times when it comes to drag racing.   What kind of top end speed where they hitting?  I remember when the first 200 mph run was made by a funny and I think the times were in the 7's maybe?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

25 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

CDW, I think many of are behind the times when it comes to drag racing.   What kind of top end speed where they hitting?  I remember when the first 200 mph run was made by a funny and I think the times were in the 7's maybe?

I never saw a top end speed listed. But unless someone blew up, they were consistently running 3.8 - 3.9 second times. Now, I am wondering what times the rails are running.

12 minutes ago, CDW said:

I never saw a top end speed listed. But unless someone blew up, they were consistently running 3.8 - 3.9 second times. Now, I am wondering what times the rails are running.

Too fast for me to think about, that's for sure.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

They have also shortened the length for the Nitro cars to 1,000 feet from the old 1,320 due to the high speeds and running out of shut down space.  The funny cars are running almost identical times and speeds to the top fuel dragsters today.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

22 minutes ago, kurtvd19 said:

They have also shortened the length for the Nitro cars to 1,000 feet from the old 1,320 due to the high speeds and running out of shut down space.  The funny cars are running almost identical times and speeds to the top fuel dragsters today.

Kurt

Now the 1,000' change from 1320', I was totally unaware. That makes the E.T.'s a whole different story, although as you said, there was only .1 second between the Funny Cars and Top Fuel at that same meet. 

Locally at one track I've attended, they changed it from 1320' to 660'. I understand the reason why, but it still left me feelings rather sad to see this change. Additionally, I could not believe how fast the "rice-burners" have become...wow, is all I can say.

Have you seen the supercharged nitro Harley Davidson bikes run?  They are absolutely scary!

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

16 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

A tip to avoid the bleed under the tape with the second color - after you have the masking tape in place for the second color - in this case over the white, lightly spray the edge of the tape with some of the white paint.  If there is any bleed under the tape it will be white and it will never bee seen.  The addition of the light mist of white seals the edge of the tape to prevent any of the red bleeding under.  Do not spray towards the white at the edge of the tape or you will get a build up.  Just a mist and at close to 90 degrees.

This should solve any bleed issues assuming the tape is tight to the surface.

Hope this helps next time.

Kurt

I wonder if this would work on aircraft camo?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

14 hours ago, CDW said:

These are the decals I chose from my existing stock of aftermarket decal sets. They are from the old Fred Cady sheet for Butch Leal's '64 Ford Thunderbolt he campaigned as a super stock way back when. 

DSCN2592.thumb.JPG.f55f7ccd8d929d5070ab4cbd896fdcec.JPG

Looking good mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The masking technique I mentioned will work with any combination of paints.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Very nice mate.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 minutes ago, CDW said:

Thanks OC. 

I have a customer who wants to buy it. Will probably let it go, I need the space more than the model. Had my fun, now this will finance 'future model acquisition and building operations'. 😄

Thats superb mate   congrats  on that.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

finished up look'in sweet!   your decal choice really works for the model  I would consider that quite an honor if someone wanted to buy one of my models.....then again,  it would have to be some one that likes abstract  :D  

super job.........very well done :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Congratulations on the unexpected sale.  That's the ultimate complement.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: