What value to you place on your membership in MSW?  How much do you learn from your fellow members to improve your model building?  Do you enjoy the comradery of your fellow MSW members?  Do you appreciate having a place to post your build logs and have others share the building experience with you?

All the moderators volunteer their time but there are considerable expenses involved in maintaining the website.  These expenses include web hosting costs, software updates and fixing the bugs associated with those updates.

It is easy to do. Please consider becoming a full member of the NRG.  For only $40 you can receive the digital version of the Nautical Research Journal four times a year and receive member discounts on Guild merchandise such as Shop Notes, CD's of back issues, plans and many more items.  https://www.thenrg.org/join-the-nrg.php#!/The-Nautical-Research-Guild-U-S-Membership-Digital-Only/p/114915080/category=31040978 for US and https://www.thenrg.org/join-the-nrg.php#!/The-Nautical-Research-Guild-International-Membership-Digital-Only/p/115071401/category=31040980 for international memberships.

Summer 2019 Journal

Thank you Toni for reminding us to help support the site.  MSW and The NRG are such valuable resources and I for one would be lost without.

Well, I finally decided to take the plunge (so to speak) and joined the NRG print edition today.  Since the demise of Ships-In-Scale there is very little out there in the way of printed modeling literature.  While digital info has its place, (and I do make use of it) having the literature in hand is still preferable to me. (I guess I'm still part of the old school in that regard.)

Monthly donations seem to be more of a hassle to keep track of, so making an annual contribution is also easier for me to deal with.  More of us on this site should consider this option to help keep our site afloat. :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Well, I finally decided to take the plunge (so to speak) and joined the NRG print edition today.  Since the demise of Ships-In-Scale there is very little out there in the way of printed modeling literature.  While digital info has its place, (and I do make use of it) having the literature in hand is still preferable to me. (I guess I'm still part of the old school in that regard.)

Monthly donations seem to be more of a hassle to keep track of, so making an annual contribution is also easier for me to deal with.  More of us on this site should consider this option to help keep our site afloat. :rolleyes:

I got my first copy a few weeks ago. Definitely worth it for the journal and supporting MSW.

OK guys and gals, as you can see the coffers are really getting low now, so I think it’s time to break the piggy banks and invest a little money in our hobby.  That is if you don’t want our forum to go the way of so many other modeling clubs that have vanished.

I recently joined the NRG to get the printed copy of the journal to fill the void left by the loss of Ships-In-Scale magazine and help to keep MSW going.  For me that worked out to be an investment of just over $4.16 a month, which incidentally is less than SIS cost me before.  I know that we’ve all blown more money than that on other things that are not as near and dear to us.

Where else can we get help for our projects from a worldwide network of modelers who share our passion for this hobby of ours?  I know that my modeling skills have noticeably improved by seeing how others have handled the same problems that I have encountered or had questions answered that I put out there myself.

We get reviews of tools, plans, books, kits, building products and suppliers by our members.  These are non-biased reviews by people with nothing to gain other than to help us all make decisions on what items we might want to spend our money on.  That alone can save us from wasting money on items promoted by people that are just paid to feed us with information that is often intentionally misleading or just plain false.  

I, for one, would really hate to see this great resource of ours fade away because I didn’t invest such a small amount of money.  So, it’s about time for us all to think about shelling out a little money here to help keep our organization afloat:rolleyes:

This might sound stupid or maybe it is just the brain fog caused by illness but is joining the NRG a higher level of donating to MSW (as far as keeping the site up and going) or are they 2 separate things as far as financial support is concerned? 

Jesse

Jesse:

It can certainly be looked at in that way.

Joining the NRG supports the entire organization including MSW.  Most members continue their membership for many years (we have many members - actually hundreds - with 25 and more years - some have exceeded 50 years) and we are able to develop our budget with the knowledge that next year's income will be close to this year's and hopefully higher next year due to member retention and membership growth.  With donations there is no way of having any idea what they will be - so they can't be counted on.  In fact, the actual donations from the MSW donation system for 2019 (as of 6-30-19) stands at only 18% of the figure from 2017 and at 28% of the figure from 2018. 

Having the steady income makes planning easier.  It also allows us to take advantage of opportunities such as the purchase of MSW and most recently the acquisition of the intellectual assets of Ships in Scale magazine along with Model Ship Builder and the practicums.  The switch to digital was not w/o costs.  To contemplate the purchase of assets like these, having a firm knowledge of the Guild's future income helps to make the decision easier.  These acquisitions help the entire hobby - not just the NRG.

The NRG - and by extension - MSW are in good financial health.  The membership growth helps us stay healthy and plan more programs and services.  Support of the NRG means supporting MSW too.

I hope this helped.

Kurt

Being a member of the NRG myself (for last couple of years), I joined for all of the reasons outlined above.  There is the option to include NRG membership info in people's profiles, but not quite sure of the actual benefit from doing that.  I wonder if there is a way to further 'promote' those members of MSW who are guild members to further enhance visibility to guild membership on the forum, and also to further enhance the visibility to the close connection of all the expert, knowledgeable contributors to the MSW site who make it the success that it is.

It is pretty easy to make a donation.  Doesn't take too much to make a difference.  For all the people going to Starbucks every day it is just skipping it once a week or so and the NRG wins.  Smokers just give up one pack a month and the NRG wins.  Every little bit adds up.  For me I try to not go out to restaurants so much for lunch and the NRG and thus MSW wins (so does my waistline).  

Kurt I do not know if anyone has looked into a Patreon type of donation system.  Don't know what the parameters are or how much of a cut they take but a recurring monthly donation might make it easier to set it and forget it.  I have made donation/subscription that way for one my work groups.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MEDDO said:

Kurt I do not know if anyone has looked into a Patreon type of donation system.  Don't know what the parameters are or how much of a cut they take but a recurring monthly donation might make it easier to set it and forget it.  I have made donation/subscription that way for one my work groups.  

Mike:

We do have a couple of MSW members who contribute every month using pay pal.  Our new NRG web site will have this capability - the MSW forum uses a program with many features but this isn't one - at least at the current time.  Outside services are not able to be supported from what I am told.  I am NOT a techie and rely on others for guidance.

Some years ago following an increase in membership fee a couple of NRG Directors called each member who said they were dropping out rather than pay the increase.  When we pointed out to them that the total increase was less than some restaurants charged for a mixed drink and that all one would have to do to "afford" the membership increase would be to skip one drink.  Most said they hadn't looked at it like that and stayed with us.

If MSW had a $5 per year membership fee there would be absolutely no need for donations or other discussions of $$ but we do not charge an admittance fee.  I think that every MSW member would agree that they get at least $5 per year of knowledge, entertainment, or distraction from their membership here - that would warrant an annual donation.  Can anybody argue against that statement?

Kurt

Edited by kurtvd19
clarified intent of last paragraph

1 hour ago, Beef Wellington said:

Being a member of the NRG myself (for last couple of years), I joined for all of the reasons outlined above.  There is the option to include NRG membership info in people's profiles, but not quite sure of the actual benefit from doing that.  I wonder if there is a way to further 'promote' those members of MSW who are guild members to further enhance visibility to guild membership on the forum, and also to further enhance the visibility to the close connection of all the expert, knowledgeable contributors to the MSW site who make it the success that it is.

Jason:

The benefit of the NRG Member listing by the member's name is essentially a means of promoting NRG membership #1.   It can be looked at as a means of telling the world that the name with the NRG membership shown is a full supporter of the NRG & MSW.  When it is seen by some names and not others it can make one ask - what's this about?  And like the discussions today have shown you and others have joined the NRG to support the hobby, the NRG and MSW and thus can show their membership to all who visit MSW.

We truly appreciate the support of MSW members signing on the the NRG - as well as donations.  Now that the Journal is also available as a digital edition we are hoping that the MSW members who are digitally savvy will sign on to the digital membership option - having access to the magazine w/o a storage issue.

Kurt

2 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

If MSW had a $5 per year membership fee there would be absolutely no need for donations or other discussions of $$.  I think that every MSW member would agree that they get at least $5 per year of knowledge,

This is unfortunately not the way forums and sites like this are run.  I would never pay a subscriber fee to see my own content that is freely given by myself or freely given by others to the organization who is just providing the platform.  Even just five bucks.  It would be like paying to see my own content.  This would actually be very exploitive of the membership whos content and expertise they give for free which is the true reason why MSW is as great as it is.  Donations and sponsorships are/should be the norm.  But there are other ways...

In addition .... creating password protected areas not available to the general MSW membership for those who are generous enough to donate at a certain level or become full members is a viable option.

I understand the need to make money to keep things afloat and any organization  like this one relies on donations.  And it is always the case that only the tiniest percentage of members actually donate....either with their time or with their pocketbooks.   It is very sad actually.   There will always be those who will never give a nickel no matter how good the site is or how often they take advantage of the site and its generous fellow members.   Even just 5 bucks. 

SO...Content created by the NRG or by others willing to donate it can be placed in an area that requires full membership in the NRG to access.   For example....A group build where the plans and instructions are downloadable for free.  This creates another NRG member benefit  and would also encourage more to sign up and become a full paying member.   

Consider for example a group build like Triton that is completely free to full members of the Guild and not made available to anyone else ...not even for a fee.  Membership does have its privileges.  I would be more than willing to develop and give such a project to the Guild for this purpose.  I am sure there are many others as well.

Doing things like this is a far better way to increase full memberships in the Guild and revenue while keeping MSW free for everyone else to use and enjoy. 

AND Dont forget.....just like with our local clubs, we sell hats and shirts or coffee mugs with the MSW logo on it.   If you want to support this site in a fun way......buy a cool hat or a shirt.   See here....

https://nauticalresearch.qbstores.com/all_products.html

Actually there are no hats.......Kurt....we need hats in the store!!!!!   Everyone loves a hat.  I have two with my local clubs logo on it.   I prefer it over a shirt actually.

MSW was created back in 2006. 

It was our founding principle that we would remain free for all to access. I may no longer own MSW, but I am still 100% sure that our founding principles remain intact, and we will never solicit monies to access our content. All we have ever asked is that you can help support us where you can. 

I 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, the motion to have hats in the store, peaked caps actually.

I misread Chuck's comment, all I saw was hats and went straight off to buy some,

one for me and one for my brother and they weren't there 😖. Soon perhaps?

And since I am a 57 year old and a bit narky, Aussie bloke I refuse to wear anything with a hood.

But i love my zip up tops, maybe down the track some un hooded ones will appear😉.

Rant over, thank you all for listening, OH buy a NRG membership, easy done.

Cheers Chris