Hello,

Does anyone have experience using a wood called ‘Cedar of Lebanon’?

Wiki says ‘Cedrus libani, commonly known as the cedar of Lebanon or Lebanon cedar, is a species of cedar native to the mountains of the Eastern Mediterranean basin.’

I have a small, well seasoned stash of this. It is very easy to work with and takes an edge beautifully, but all the information I have found refers to large applications like doors and wardrobes. I have nothing to tell me how it behaves in small projects where it might be bonded to another wood: for example, is it stable enough to be used in bread-and-butter hulls?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

55 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

The Wood Database is  your friend.

Hello Bob,

Yes, it is a wonderful resource which I was introduced to by an earlier thread in the forum. This wood was considered a superior choice in the past for furniture and house trim and that is the source of my modest stash. I don't have enough to make a useful wardrobe (the ideal use for this aromatic wood) but more than enough for a ship's hull and base.

Besides the general question, because you never know what will pop up, the particular point I was curious about was how it acts when bonded to another wood. It has resins, as all cedars do, and strong aromatic properties. Both could cause 'issues'. Any problems?

Pretty sure I will use some but it seemed wise to tap into the collective (and vast) wisdom of this forum.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Question do begat answers which mean more questions.   :P 

Is the wood porous?  Fine grained?  If not porous (the "vein" holes) and fine grained then that's good.  So, take a couple of small pieces say 1-2" long by 1/4" wide and maybe 1/4" thick.  Glue them together with some wood glue and clamp.  Try popping them apart once the glue is dry.  As a side note, Yellow Ceder works very well for modeling.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, Bob Cleek said:

(I know, ... picky, picky, picky.  :D

A much under-rated quality.  😎

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Will it scale well,  or does it neon flash its presence?

Does it scale well?

If it has closed pores and an indistinct variation between Spring and Summer rings?

If to your eye, a cut and fine sanded surface would show well on a model, it would be a waste to hide it as a carved hull - if it is difficult to source.  If if fails these tests, then carving a hull using it would work, if the Database is correct about its compatibility with wood glue.  It is in the  Lime, Spruce, Fir, White Pine,  Aspen  range of hardness.  It should carve easily.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Neon and fireworks. Although some pieces in my stash have straight, milky white grain the rest is contrasting rings. It carves very well and has closed pores in the yellow parts tending to open pores in the whitest areas.

The most appealing feature of this wood, and the reason I am thinking about using it, is the carving. 

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

9 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

While I expect it won't make any difference to the question at hand, i.e. how well cedar of Lebanon holds with glue, Alaska Yellow Cedar is actually a cypress, not a cedar.

(I know, ... picky, picky, picky.  :D

Nope, not picky to me.  I didn't know that. And for that, I'll go do penance.... maybe clean my apartment.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 year later...