Shape of Rabbet on False Keel

I'm starting on my first model the, MS 18th Century Long Boat 1:24.

After reading through the instructions and looking at the drawings, I'm a little confused on what the shape of the rabbit should be on the false keel. Please see the attachment. Which of these is the correct shape, A or B?

Thanks

rabbit_shape.png

Hi, both may be right depending on where on the hull the profile is for. Possibly A where the planks terminate at the stem and B along the lower keel.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

As mentioned above, the angle changes as it should be close to the angle of the frame (or bulkhead) where it meets the keel.   Perhaps the below sketch

will help you a bit

Allan

1446517490_Rabbetaft1.JPG.f1ba4d82a2f30a66b264bfc317980319.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

One should perhaps also mention that the included angle should always be more or less 90° (as per your sketch A above). However, the angle by which this corner intersects with the keel/false keel changes (as mentioned by others already) along the keel-stem/stern assemply as the angle by which the planks intersect with these changes.

The best thing would be to take a 'spline', i.e. a thin straight plank with clean sides at right angles and have it aligned to the outside line of the rabbet as per your drawings. This allows you to estimate how much wood you need to cut away for the inside line so that the spline butts nicely against the rabbet.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Actually not. The under-planking is just there to allow better fairing of the real planking. So, the rabbet should be cut, after the under-planking is on.

That is the way I have drawn my plans without actually stopping to think about it. Thanks for the confirmation.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

23 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Subtle difference. 

Groan.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

The angle of the rabbet may not be as critical in modeling as it is in actual ship building..

Once a plank is in place, the angle is not apparent..

I prefer the easy way out of attaching a small strip along the false keel, which I learned from Chuck's models.

5-32rabbetstrip.jpg

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Building up the keel and stem-/stern-posts this way certainly is an option, particularly, when you paint the model afterwards. If you opt for an 'artisanal' kind of model that shows your skill at woodworking, you probably would need to go for cutting a real rabbet into massive wood.

BTW, I did not understand the above picture: the actual keel and the posts should be wider than the 'false' keel plate in order to provide a step against which the planks can land.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

17 minutes ago, wefalck said:

BTW, I did not understand the above picture: the actual keel and the posts should be wider than the 'false' keel plate in order to provide a step against which the planks can land.

As an example, say the false keel, stem and stern post , etc. are 3/16" thick.  The strip would then be 1/16" and centered on the edge of the false keel, leaving a groove ( rabbet ) of 1/16" on each side for fixing the planks.  

Here are more images from one of Chuck's builds that illustrates this better..

stem1.jpg

stemon1.jpg

Of course, the bearding line and tapering the false keel to meet the stern post would be similar to the usual practice.

Edited by Gregory

—MICHAEL ROSE

Evening Bob;

Speaking of 'Rabbets' vs 'Rabbits', and other terminology, the keel you show is actually the main keel, not the false keel.

The false keel is a thinner strip fixed to the underside of the keel, designed to break away in the event of the ship grounding accidentally, thereby avoiding excessive stresses being transferred to the main structure, and giving the vessel more chance of sailing free. This false keel is shown in Alan's post above (no 4) showing a ship's keel. I am not aware of longboats ever being fitted with a false keel.

It is fair to say though, re 'rabbits', that the word is frequently spelt this way in contemporary contracts describing ship-building. The only version I have never seen amongst the many spellings, is the modern word 'rebate'.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Exploring my notes led to page 1 of the Syren instructions from ModelExpo

Syren Instructions authored by Chuck Passaro.

It has some excellent details about the rabbeting strip, and also the actual " false Keel " that Mark gave a good description of..

A lot of kits do not include that feature which probably existed on 99% of these wooden ships.

Edited by Gregory

—MICHAEL ROSE