I'm starting on my first model the, MS 18th Century Long Boat 1:24.

After reading through the instructions and looking at the drawings, I'm a little confused on what the shape of the rabbit should be on the false keel. Please see the attachment. Which of these is the correct shape, A or B?

Thanks

rabbit_shape.png

Hi, both may be right depending on where on the hull the profile is for. Possibly A where the planks terminate at the stem and B along the lower keel.

The angle does change as it moves. I tend to simplify buy having 3 angle cutters to do the line dependant on where it is.

As mentioned above, the angle changes as it should be close to the angle of the frame (or bulkhead) where it meets the keel.   Perhaps the below sketch

will help you a bit

Allan

1446517490_Rabbetaft1.JPG.f1ba4d82a2f30a66b264bfc317980319.JPG

One should perhaps also mention that the included angle should always be more or less 90° (as per your sketch A above). However, the angle by which this corner intersects with the keel/false keel changes (as mentioned by others already) along the keel-stem/stern assemply as the angle by which the planks intersect with these changes.

The best thing would be to take a 'spline', i.e. a thin straight plank with clean sides at right angles and have it aligned to the outside line of the rabbet as per your drawings. This allows you to estimate how much wood you need to cut away for the inside line so that the spline butts nicely against the rabbet.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.