FINISHED - Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder by CDW - Italeri 1:24 Scale

CDW

Is that last photo lake Winnepawsakee?  Been to Conway, drove a 68 Mustang up Mt Washington road to summit. Scary drive !  Also been to Nubble lighthouse both by land and by sea. Great photos CDW. 

2 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Is that last photo lake Winnepawsakee?  Been to Conway, drove a 68 Mustang up Mt Washington road to summit. Scary drive !  Also been to Nubble lighthouse both by land and by sea. Great photos CDW. 

Yes Jack. That’s the lake. I could hardly recall the name of it, much less spell it correctly. You are THE MAN. 😳

My ice boat club sailed our club's 50 ft ice yacht Jack Frost 16 miles down that lake at 90 MPH back in the mid 1990s?  

Very pretty lake. I cruised in my flight of Phantoms over that lake once upon a time. No summertime traffic, although we had to evade a seaplane. Well, it was see and avoid.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I forgot about the weather you are having out there. I can bet it was hot inside. A steel can painted black sitting in the sun all day with limited airflow! :( They probably would have had to scoop me up and pour me into a bucket! 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

super pictures of the north country......glad to hear your daughter was excepted!   haven't been up that way in quite a long time.........used to deliver the Union Leader with my uncle........all the way up to Intervale and Gorham

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 7/29/2019 at 1:56 PM, CDW said:

She landed two scholarships and a grant

you go girl

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

14 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

super pictures of the north country......glad to hear your daughter was excepted!   haven't been up that way in quite a long time.........used to deliver the Union Leader with my uncle........all the way up to Intervale and Gorham

If I told you we were busy while we visited NH, it would be an understatement. Our kids had something scheduled for us every day that lasted from the time we got up each morning until it was time to go to bed. The people, the food, the sites to see were amazing. You have lots of reasons to be very proud of your state. Our kids live about 5 minutes from the SNHU administrative buildings where our oldest daughter works, and the campus is just across the interstate. Unfortunately, it's a bit further to drive around to the exit and circle back to it (campus) but was impressed with the neatness of it and all the technology offered there.

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

Congrats to your daughter. I am glad you liked our part of the world. Lake Winnepasauki is nice but Newfound Lake is our piece of heaven.

37 minutes ago, usedtosail said:

Congrats to your daughter. I am glad you liked our part of the world. Lake Winnepasauki is nice but Newfound Lake is our piece of heaven.

I'll be sure to put Newfound Lake on our "must see" list.

Any state whose motto is "Live Free or Die" is at the top of my favorites list. A beautiful state, indeed. 

Okay Lou...here are some interior photos of the Albacore. To begin, there is a display of various propellers at the start of the exhibit. A placard explains that the Albacore was built as a test bed for various things, the propellers being chief among the tests performed. The propellers are ones that were used on the sub during the 2 decades of it's service life. 

The placard in the 2nd photo shows the various components/sections inside the sub. The tour starts from the front and works it's way to the rear of the sub. The 3rd photo shows how incredibly small the bunk spaces are for the crewmen. Believe it or not, the curator claims the Navy does not prefer short or skinny sailors for sub duty, rather they prefer tall and stout crewmen. 

In the 4th photo, the Admiral begins to slide through one of the bulkhead doors. As you can imagine, I can only fit through that door by turning sideways and squatting way down to slide through. Tricky to say the least and very uncomfortable.

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

That sure is a cramp area  but facinating.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

59 minutes ago, CDW said:

Boston on Tuesday ....... it was well over 90 degrees 

But isn't that "a cold day in February" for Florida ? <evil grin>

14 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

But isn't that "a cold day in February" for Florida ? <evil grin>

And that's what I'm trying to get out of, not into. I've had enough hot weather at home, don't want to fly 1,400 miles north for more of the same.

With a couple of exceptions, the weather was beautiful while we were in NH, particularly at night with the windows open. Felt so good. 🙂

looks like someone wasn't on TP detail ;)  very claustrophobic!    glad you enjoyed your visit........should make the decision easy ;)   I remember when I first got down in Fla...........took some adjustment to the climate {we won't go into the details}.   I spent five years down there........had a good time too :D 

I copied the pictures of the snow plow for my log folder....looks very close to the B&M version {Ambroid}.  I've got a couple of other variations too :) 

SNHU.......is that the place out towards Hooksett,  of the place here in Manchester?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

SNHU.......is that the place out towards Hooksett,  of the place here in Manchester?

SNHU is in Hookset. They're the ones who do a lot of advertisement on TV, and have a big share of online students. It's a private school, accredited by NEASC, the same accrediting organization as Boston College, Harvard, etc. Their administrative building is a renovated/converted mill on the river. You can see it directly off the interstate highway 93 where the Merrimack River crosses.

Have you ever been to the Puritan restaurant? It's real close to that. Wow, the Puritan has great food, and they give such large portions you always need a to-go box.

Edited by CDW

WOW I had no idea. I have been on a couple of Gato subs and even though I know that items were removed to make it easier for people to get through it was still a little cramped. The Albacore seems down right claustrophobic! The last time I saw anything like the bunk space, can't really call it a bunk room, was the city morgue! :( As I am currently pretty much still learning to walk again I wonder how well I would have done getting around? The only good part seems that there is not enough room to fall down in!:D I still think that the killer for me would have been the heat. We have been "Suffering" with temperatures in the high 70s to low 80s, (F) around here and the mid to low 60s at night. It is all I can do do function! I had to go out to do something in the cars last night about midnight and by the time I was done was sweating a little! I know it takes a little more energy and strain for me to get around these days but I was still shocked.  I am almost certain that your temps would totally immobilize me.

Back to the sub. I was also impressed by the galley. It is almost impossible to think that in a space that is probably smaller than many apartment kitchens the cook was able to feed a crew of over 50 men for weeks on end!

I always get a kick out of the head on subs. It is possibly the only place where you need a PHD in engineering in order not to "Get it all back" so to speak.

I have had the privilege of going on board the Constitution. Loved every minute of it, even though I am almost certain that the other members of the family were bored to tears. I was even able to "sneak" into the great cabin and look around for about ten minutes until the guy giving the tour realized that I was not with the other people and told me that it was a private tour and that I was not allowed! Who knew?

Thanks for sharing Craig. I enjoyed not only the sub but also the other areas and your family. Kind of makes up a little for being kind of cooped up a little this summer. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The Albacore was a groundbreaking sub design, that pioneered the teardrop hull design seen in every navy today. She was faster under water than on surface, setting a record of 40 mph submerged! That to me was quite an impressive accomplishment so many years ago. She was faster than the subsequent nuclear subs. Her 20 year service career seems a testament to a great test bed design. It took quite a lot of engineering and construction to place her in her permanent home where it's on display.

I thought that was the one........the one in Manchester only holds daytime classes.  this is another part off of Queen City Ave.  the buildings your referring to in the mill was once the manufacturing hub of Manchester.   there were warehouses,  textile and shoe factories......of course there was no thought about impacting the river with their waste.  once that came to light,  the entire face of commercial St. changed.......you'll find interesting reading about the Mill yard in Manchester........   cripe,  over half of my family worked down there at one time or the other ;) 

there's much more to see........too bad your not visiting now...  the heat broke and now temps are pretty much back to normal  {go figure} ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On 8/1/2019 at 6:56 PM, CDW said:

Was that in Portsmouth?

No, it was on Long Island in NY. They built gyros for all kinds of ships and aircraft.