Actually I find it hard to belive. A large company with an old trademark disappearing without a trace.

Maybe there is a simplier explanation - like their head office is finally moving to China?

6 hours ago, DPK said:

Actually I find it hard to belive. A large company with an old trademark disappearing without a trace.

Maybe there is a simplier explanation - like their head office is finally moving to China?

I think they are now gone. Somebody else in the kit-producing industry told me they stopped trading several months ago and the company is no longer manufacturing. 

AL kits are among the most frequently pirated kits in China.  Mostly because they were foolish enough to move their production there.  Its sad really, but I wonder if these pirated kits had not been so eagerly bought on Ebay and Alibaba by folks who didnt care....... if AL would still be around today.   A real shame.   But my guess is more companies will follow suit.  

Tower Hobbies  in Chicago still has AL kits and accessories listed on their website, and judging from their prices these are the original kits not Chinese knock-offs.  A couple of items are listed as "on order".

35 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

A couple of items are listed as "on order".

...orders which I doubt they will ever fulfil unless they manage to purchase from an end-of-line stockist.

Sad really. AL kits were what got me into this hobby. Without Artesania, I doubt I would ever have dipped my toe into ship modelling and as a result, there probably would be no MSW today. 

I know their stuff was pretty much legacy these days, with better standards of kit manufacturer out there, but I have a real fondness for AL.

24 minutes ago, James H said:

AL kits were what got me into this hobby. Without Artesania, I doubt I would ever have dipped my toe into ship modelling

Likewise for me, James.   The AL Swift was my first wooden boat kit. Prior to that it was all plastic.   And until Chuck (SYREN) came along with his rope/blocks, AL rope and blocks were the only blocks I used - tossed out all the rope/blocks  in ModelExpo/Model Shipways kits.

Just now, Jack12477 said:

Likewise for me, James.   The AL Swift was my first wooden boat kit. Prior to that it was all plastic.

The Swift was my first as well.  

Long live the Swift!

15 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Likewise for me, James.   The AL Swift was my first wooden boat kit. Prior to that it was all plastic.   And until Chuck (SYREN) came along with his rope/blocks, AL rope and blocks were the only blocks I used - tossed out all the rope/blocks  in ModelExpo/Model Shipways kits.

My first ever model was the San Francisco. I just wanted to build a galleon!!

s-l1600.jpg
(not my photo)

Just placed an order with Tower Hobbies for the AL Providence New England Whale boat and the Titanic Lifeboat kits. Figured I'd get them now while they are still in stock before they become extinct.  In addition to the    AL Swift,  I've also built the following AL kits,  Armed Virginia Sloop, Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , and Marie Jeanne and in my stash is the US Constellation.

Kind of sad to hear.  My first kits built, were from them.  It's been awhile since AL made any new kits.  I guess part of it was all their designers quitting on starting Occre. 

I thought they moved their manufacturing to Vietnam.   Did they actually go to China?   

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I guess part of it was all their designers quitting on starting Occre. 

...it was more than that. 

There were reasons why those designers left AL. They didn't leave a proactive and forward-thinking company. They left it because it wasn't as such. The rot was already firmly set in, allegedly. 

I also believe AL started to produce in China too, as you say. There were some new models, but things like skeletal 1:16 WW1 fighters like the Camel and Fokker Triplane; not things which were staple to their traditional customer base. 

On 7/22/2019 at 11:07 PM, James H said:

The rot was already firmly set in, allegedly. 

I'm new to wooden model ship building and have started my journey with AL's L'Hermione. I bought the kit last fall and have had technical support from them until about May when the "Updating" message was posted. As a newcomer to the hobby I hesitate to be too critical but the instructions - as a PDF only - are awful. There are dimensions missing and illustrations that don't match the instructions. I've also seen the configuration of things change as I move through the instructions, railings ramped down in some pictures and stepped down in others. I believe MESSIS pointed out several of these errors in his L'Hermione build log. I can appreciate that those that have known AL in better days could be saddened by the passing of the company. That said, it doesn't seem to have stayed true to itself or it's customers in recent times.

Richard 

Current build:

AL L'Hermione

Previous build:

None

Richard,

For this specific ship, there is a monograph - by ANCRE.  It is in my evaluation, their least talented effort, the choice of paper for the plans a poor one and supposedly, several of the frame expositions have errors.  The individual frame plans are not something that I use, so that is irrelevant to me.

Certainly the details therein will far exceed those with your kit.  A home scanner and PS clone to change the scale will get your kit deficiencies covered. 

The how too - other build logs using similar kit methods.

It's a shame. I built the AL Renard. It was a bit of a slog in places, but I got the kit for something like $35 from Model Expo many years ago and it turned out to be a nice-looking model once completed.

Well, my first built is actually in route and it is the San Juan. I will begin the planking soon. A lot of modification to make the hull satisfying. I purchased the "Le Belem" ship made by AL also. They put a model representation 1:1, but I also purchased the monography from https://www.aamm.fr/ which is 1:75 multiple plans. This will be my second built, maybe next Automn.

I do not put at this time my build on the appropriate topic. English will be a problem for me to explained my path. But I could put photo with minimal notes.

Richard,

I'd suggest using the resources of MSW as a work around.  There' build logs for others who have built this ship and starting a build log yourself would also help you.   

Jaager,

The AL Hermione is really isn't the same ship as what's in the monograph.   The AL version is, shall we say, a bad done rendering of her.

AL currently appears at the official level in a state that is known here as "concurso de acreedores" I do not know how it can be translated into English but it is like going bankrupt, now the company is in the hands of a "administrador concusal" It may be translated as bankruptcy administrator.

I also started in this hobby with AL, my wife made the mistake of giving me the La Cancalaise kit and from that moment the whole house has a thin layer of sawdust.

I am coming across this post just now after searching on google for their website. I am in the process of finishing up my AL model the San Francisco, I was going to see if I could get it featured on their instagram page and that has not even been active in months. Definitely sad to see them go, I'm fairly new the model world but I really enjoyed my AL kit.

thats a shame... i might have to look at what kits are available in NZ and stock them up. particularily want to do the cancalasie

This is sad news... I bought their HUGE 1/48 HMS Surprise a couple of years ago from Tower Hobbies for $600 when I found out it was basically the same kit Model Space was selling for $1500.  I haven't even opened it yet since I bought it as a future build after I acquire a lot more experience with smaller simpler projects. 

I also have a couple of other AL kits that I bought way back in the 1990s that I've never inventoried.  This concerns me  a little because there are quite a few reviews of AL kits on this site that speak of missing and damaged components so I hope I'm not looking at a situation where I need several replacement parts from an out-of-business supplier.  I suppose I'll have to either find an alternate source for equivalent parts or learn to scratch build.  I will definitely be doing some kit inventories in the upcoming weeks to find out what I might be missing. 

I have recently inherited an Artesania Latina model of the Jolie Brise, but the instructions are missing. Can anyone help please? Thank you.