4883(2)

1899345970_DSC04884(2).thumb.JPG.3e423f44a586065be04d58b981dd71a8.JPG

4884(2)

722881027_DSC04885(2).thumb.JPG.696a07cd3c160f9b8bb60af55eb9804f.JPG

4885(2)

777079304_DSC04889(2).thumb.JPG.5291e017c27cb235b9068f1b124cf5f2.JPG

4889(2)

Thoughts about the Alert kit.

As I am the first builder on MSW of this new kit offering from the talented Mr Watton it has fallen to me to be the first to record my experience of the kit and build.

There is a lot to like about this kit, cutters make fine models of relatively modest size, altho’ at 1:64 scale Alert is large enough for extra detailing and has space when it comes to the rigging stage.

It is clear that Chris cares about his customer base and has put a lot of thought into the make-up of the kit providing pre-made parts for many of those areas that new builders may find tricky, but which more experienced builders may wish to replace.

That I made extensive modifications is no reflection on the validity of the kit. I accept the limitations of kits and personally I am prepared to take the hit on the additional cost of material and fittings upgrades.

Although I have had reservations about some of the supplied fittings, builders of the second edition revised kits will benefit from the improvements made by Chris in relation to the guns and other fittings, and latterly a laser printed deck, and Pearwood grating sets.

This is a visually attractive kit, which offers the kit basher a lot of scope whilst providing builders new to the hobby a good oob experience.

It has been very tricky deciding how to rig this model given the many variations prevalent at the time, and the often-conflicting information given in the reference sources.

The two existing Alert models by Roger Cole, and Irving Kingman differ in their appearance and rigging, and Roger Cole made many changes to both the deck layout and rigging of his model from the Peter Goodwin book which as I have discovered has many conflictions and omissions to confuse the model maker.

Irving Kingman also made changes to the deck layout and rigging but did acknowledge that some of the reconstruction of Alert is based on conjecture and therefore possibly not accurate.

There is one other Alert model kit on offer, a 1/72 scale card version by Shipyard. A nice-looking model but has the Topmast before the masthead and is rigged in the later standardised form.

Part of the appeal of the Alert kit is that it represents a cutter with the earlier style of rigging with the aft placed T’gallant mast and a Square sail set up.

I have concluded that there is no definitive example of how Alert was rigged, and I have used many sources to arrive where I am.

I certainly don’t advocate my Alert build as the way to go, and I still have many conflictions in my own mind, but the information I have gleaned may be of some use to those that follow and may serve to inform their own decisions.

Sources.

The Naval Cutter Alert -Peter Goodwin

The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War – James Lees.

Eighteenth-Century Rigs and Rigging – K.H. Marquardt.

The Global Schooner - K.H. Marquardt.

Elements of Masting, Sail-making and Rigging, – David Steel.

Seamanship in the Age of Sail – John Harland

Rigging period Fore-and-Aft Craft – Lennarth Petersson

Alert Provenance and Construction – Roger Cole

Modeling H.B.M. Cutter Alert-1777 - Irving H. Kingman

NMM plan of Alert.

Contemporary Hawke model (NMM)

Model of a cutter circa 1785. (Science Museum)

I have also scoured the internet for examples of cutter rig, and referenced cutter build logs on MSW.

I have enjoyed building Alert despite the frustrations at times and I commend the kit to the members.

B.E.

25/03/2020

6 minutes ago, usedtosail said:

This was a pleasure to follow.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you build your Alert and think the decision to go with clinker planking has paid dividends as it looks superb. 

Thanks 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Lovely job Maurice, a fine looking model and the changes you've made only enhance what is a Good model to start with.

Regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Good evening Maurice,you have made a beautiful job on your Alert. All your research has indeed paid dividends. I look forward to following your next build,another

Cutter or something more exotic :D

I've just spent much of the past week building a Capstan for my Speedwell,had a pig of a job making the spindle. I don't have a lathe so had to make do with using

dowel,no choice. However much scraping and sanding I eventually got a passable round to build upon. There are a surprising number of parts to make if you count

all the wood parts never mind all the other things,bolts,pawls etc. The ten bars I'll leave 'til much later. 

Regards,

Dave :dancetl6:

Superb model and a very detailed and informative build log. This cutter Alert is really awesome !

Glad you shared this lovely work.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Hi B.E.

Another great build where you improved an already excellent kit by adding your personal touch.

Congratulations on a masterpiece.

The unavoidable question: And now?

Cheers

Peter

Maurice, 

As usual very, very nice. Very, very nice. You always bring the project multiple layers above what most could hope to achieve. And this was such a wonderful subject. Truly a great job.

Kurt

PS: So what’s next? You have no one but yourself to blame. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Congratulations on another truly fine model B.E. It is always a pleasure following your builds.

I'll add my congratulations to the richly deserved plaudits above. Some (few) others may equal your skills as a modeller but none match the care you take in detailing and explaining your research and your building techniques. Thanks as always for taking the rest of us along for the ride, and I await your next build with anticipation.

Best wishes

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Congratulations! Beautiful work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Beautiful result BE, I do love the colour tones of your builds and cleanness of your rigging...and very educational to boot .  Looking forward to seeing your Queen Anne Barge take shape, more QAB can't be a bad thing!

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

This was a master class for me and I’m sure to reference this build many times. It’s what I aspire to as a model builder. Thank you for the detailed descriptions.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute

B.E. What an extraordinary model! Thank you for your after-thoughts on the model...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

On 12/24/2019 at 5:19 AM, Blue Ensign said:

Syren 3mm black plastic hooks,

Do you have an alternate source for either these black plastic or realistic photo etched hooks (for both Speedy and Cheerful, I'm stocking up for these two models)? Thanks for any help.

Beautiful work and an excellent reference source.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you Joe and Glenn.

@ Glenn, It's a pity Chuck stopped supplying those tiny 3mm  black plastic hooks they were ideal for the gun tackle rigging on 1:64 scale guns. I also used them on my Cheerful build.

image.png.4d948832c50786fcceb6a7d1542bd12c.png

Cheerful side tackles.

Chuck also used to supply 3mm brass versions, but I didn't quite like those as much, and they had to be blackened.

Brass etched rigging hooks were supplied in the Alert kit, nicely formed, but far too large for gun rigging, and in that situation my approach would be to fake it and form hooks out of very fine eyebolts glued into the ends of the blocks.

After market brass etched hooks are supplied by the likes of Caldercraft, but again at 5mm they are too large.

Perhaps we should petition Chuck to start supplying them again, I've never seen any quite as fine as those little plastic ones.

Regards,

B.E.