Blue Ensign

H.M. Cutter Alert by Blue Ensign - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 scale

Sincere congrats

At the beginning of this wonderful hobby I was "a big ship many guns"-addict.

But this definitely whets my appetite for smaller ships ( in the future )

Good evening Maurice,you have made a beautiful job on your Alert. All your research has indeed paid dividends. I look forward to following your next build,another

Cutter or something more exotic :D

I've just spent much of the past week building a Capstan for my Speedwell,had a pig of a job making the spindle. I don't have a lathe so had to make do with using

dowel,no choice. However much scraping and sanding I eventually got a passable round to build upon. There are a surprising number of parts to make if you count

all the wood parts never mind all the other things,bolts,pawls etc. The ten bars I'll leave 'til much later. 

Regards,

Dave :dancetl6:

Superb model and a very detailed and informative build log. This cutter Alert is really awesome !

Glad you shared this lovely work.

Outstanding work. Thank you for sharing details. The rigging discussion was especially enlightening 

Hi B.E.

Another great build where you improved an already excellent kit by adding your personal touch.

Congratulations on a masterpiece.

The unavoidable question: And now?

Cheers

Peter

Maurice, 

As usual very, very nice. Very, very nice. You always bring the project multiple layers above what most could hope to achieve. And this was such a wonderful subject. Truly a great job.

Kurt

PS: So what’s next? You have no one but yourself to blame. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

Thank you guys for your great comments, much appreciated, I hope the log is of some use to those that follow.

As for the future, uncertain as it seems at present, I do have Chuck's  wonderful Queen Anne Barge beneath my bench, it may well be making an appearance. 🙂

Regards,

B.E.

I'll add my congratulations to the richly deserved plaudits above. Some (few) others may equal your skills as a modeller but none match the care you take in detailing and explaining your research and your building techniques. Thanks as always for taking the rest of us along for the ride, and I await your next build with anticipation.

Best wishes

Derek

Beautiful result BE, I do love the colour tones of your builds and cleanness of your rigging...and very educational to boot .  Looking forward to seeing your Queen Anne Barge take shape, more QAB can't be a bad thing!

Thank you  Grant, Derek, and Jason.

At least with The Queen Anne barge I will have some excellent  works  to  reference. 👍

B.E.

This was a master class for me and I’m sure to reference this build many times. It’s what I aspire to as a model builder. Thank you for the detailed descriptions.

On 12/24/2019 at 5:19 AM, Blue Ensign said:

Syren 3mm black plastic hooks,

Do you have an alternate source for either these black plastic or realistic photo etched hooks (for both Speedy and Cheerful, I'm stocking up for these two models)? Thanks for any help.

Beautiful work and an excellent reference source.

Thank you Joe and Glenn.

@ Glenn, It's a pity Chuck stopped supplying those tiny 3mm  black plastic hooks they were ideal for the gun tackle rigging on 1:64 scale guns. I also used them on my Cheerful build.

image.png.4d948832c50786fcceb6a7d1542bd12c.png

Cheerful side tackles.

Chuck also used to supply 3mm brass versions, but I didn't quite like those as much, and they had to be blackened.

Brass etched rigging hooks were supplied in the Alert kit, nicely formed, but far too large for gun rigging, and in that situation my approach would be to fake it and form hooks out of very fine eyebolts glued into the ends of the blocks.

After market brass etched hooks are supplied by the likes of Caldercraft, but again at 5mm they are too large.

Perhaps we should petition Chuck to start supplying them again, I've never seen any quite as fine as those little plastic ones.

Regards,

B.E.

Congratulations on building a fantastic model I have thoroughly enjoyed watching your Alert take shape and will be refering back to your build when mine hits the blocks.

On another note, like Chuck you have a very pristine way of seizing blocks - I've seized hundreds of them but my method (actually Bob Hunt's I learned) leaves the ends of threads and ropes hanging there. If I cut them off too close the whole thing unravels (though I do use diluted white glue).  Can you share your process or point me to a tutorial?

Unfortunately my suppliers of hooks went belly up!!!  The last guy shut down after I placed and paid for a huge order.  Needless to say I never got those hooks.  

I have however just found one stray package of 3mm hooks laying around.  I will throw it in with your recent order Glenn.  I usually make my own hooks out of brass wire.  They look the best when you make them yourself.  You can make them any size and length you need that way.  But it takes practice and a lot of time.

bowguys.jpg

hookedblocksboomgaff.jpg

Once all of this virus stuff is over I will look into finding another supplier or figure out how to make them myself.....but that is a long way off.

18 hours ago, glbarlow said:

On another note, like Chuck you have a very pristine way of seizing blocks - I've seized hundreds of them but my method (actually Bob Hunt's I learned) leaves the ends of threads and ropes hanging there. If I cut them off too close the whole thing unravels (though I do use diluted white glue).  Can you share your process or point me to a tutorial?

Hi Glenn, I can’t imagine that I can achieve anything as ‘pristine’ as Chuck but I do try to follow his example. 😃

As I'm virtually in lock down I'll knock up a little pictorial to explain my approach, something to keep me busy.

Cheers,

B.E.