Queen Anne Barge by MEDDO - FINISHED - Syren - scale 1:24

After seeing Chucks Queen Anne Barge at the NRG conference in St Petersburg (2017) I knew that I wanted to build this one.  I have always been drawn to the so called dockyard or admiralty style models.  I really like the exposed frames and the ability to see into the ship/boat to see the architectural details.  After learning quite a bit on the last build I am moving on to this more complicated kit.  

The kit was packaged well and has 2 pages of plans and pdf instructions form the website.  I do like having paper instructions so printed the pdf's (now I know why Chuck doesn't include them) for a cost yikes.  The instructions seem very nice and comprehensive.  I also have a few books which talk about this type of craft The Boats of Men of War by W E May, as well as the 17th and 18th Century Ship Models from the Kriegstein Collection.  

IMG_0610.thumb.jpeg.e99fd2bd601798e66f16fe2146184c30.jpeg

One of the things I thought was interesting was the size of this model.  The Pinnace is also 1:24 scale and is much smaller.

IMG_0635.thumb.jpg.933b8e4fea03d7a6a0df74b176d58c1f.jpg

Now on to sanding the char.  Remarkable little on the face so that was a nice find.

So happy to you start this kit...I will be following along.   Have fun with it and dont hesitate t0o ask me any questions.

Chuck

Looks like you have a good start on your Queen Anne Barge.  I will be following your build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 2 weeks later...

Throughout this entire build I will be practicing my carving as I wish to use the boxwood blanks instead of the resin pieces.  Here are my very first attempts at carving and refining them.  The blanks were purchased from the NRG a while back and it is just convenient that they are the carving for the QAB.  It is nice to have a bunch of practice attempts.  I will be continuing this carving attempt here and there as I wait for glue/paint to dry or when I have a few minutes to do something small.

Left was first try a few months ago and the right side will be next

IMG_0664.jpg.c3761c3387421622e1cdf44dc990773f.jpg

The crest from a few months ago.  I have at least 3 more of these guys to practice with so hopefully one will come out better than the others.

IMG_0665.thumb.jpg.caee8110395c8c82bee8fb9c35aff2fb.jpg

(ug picture blurry must figure out iPhone...)

and finally what these are supposed to look like....

This photo from Chuck's store Syren Ship Model Co.  I like the way the thorns and leaves all look individual and easily discernible.

I hope you don't mind I show the picture form your store. I will remove it if it is a problem.

663251963.jpg.71baa7d9ea2e6e5a9c3e8409328d66c7.jpg

Its OK with me....They look pretty good.  I used some 320 grit sandpaper folded up to smooth things a bit.  I used the fold to get in those nooks and it made a big difference.  I got a bit better with each new try as I gained confidence.  I am so happy to see someone try and use the carved versions they make rather than the resin castings.   It will mean so much more when the model is finished.  :) 

Great tip with the sandpaper.  Maybe I will love this so much I will try to replace the other resin carvings with some scratch boxwood ones.  Can’t hurt to try.

Began the slow process of fairing the frames.  Very light touch needed to avoid breaking off the frame tips.

IMG_0723.jpg.f9ce3e3d1aed1a0d824ee6c4501ba94c.jpg

Thanks for visiting and all the likes.  

Fairing the frames mostly went fine.  I did have one frame break off and the tip that meets the keel mysteriously vanished/teleported somewhere so I had to make a small wedge replacement so the frame could meet the keel.  It came out fine after some shaping and sanding.  Kinda worried it would not be strong enough but it seems to be doing fine.

Wipe on poly changes the look quite a bit.  I like it.

IMG_0724.jpg.fc9c3abf5b4d55b63184642c5bf31f8b.jpg

That really looks good.   Its coming together.  Just make sure when you start gluing those planks on that the planks are very secure to each and every frame.  This prevents the frames from breaking once you go to remove the centers.  

• 1 month later...

I was able to take a nice vacation with my son when we went with the scouts on a nine day white water rafting trip. Since that time I’ve been working quite a bit. I do work quite a bit of nights and sometimes I have some downtime in the morning. So I decided to bring this along to practice a little carving. This was done just to practice. I have another set of these for a final go around. Each little bit I do I learn a little bit more.  This was done only within an 11 blade. I didn’t bring any sandpaper so I could not round off the edges yet but at least now I’m starting to separate out each of the leaves and the thorns a little bit better than my first attempts. The following two pictures are the exact same piece at the exact same time the first one is when it is flat on the table and the second one is when it is sitting upright.  It is interesting how the different lighting really makes the details change. 

681810F2-2A0E-40F3-BEEF-38EE725038C1.thumb.jpeg.42a32a7207e3e24bf00f4ee4b7e53e11.jpeg

C0FB462C-9DD8-477B-81D9-F5419036A152.thumb.jpeg.061a8b777ecce835b768613011c147fe.jpeg

Sorry about the blurry pictures but it was the best I can get my phone to do

That looks pretty darn good.  Once you clean up the rough spots with some fine sandpaper and apply a finish it is goong to look famtastic.

Hi Michael,

Those carvings are great. I'm working on mine now.  Do realize that you have to carve the back side of the blanks when carving the port side leaves. It was not mentioned in the instructions and there are no port side pictures. I must have had a dream about this as I woke up one morning and said "SHAZAAM"  

Keep up the nice work. I'll be following you.

Pythagoras (Tom)

Thank you Chuck. I am going to try to get some more done tonight will try to remember to bring some sandpaper.

OMG Tom I never even thought of that.  I am pretty far away from doing the final set in any case.  I am not sure if anyone else has carved theirs.  i will have to go back through the other build logs to take a look

Nice job on the carvings Michael.  The colour of the cherry looks vey nice indeed.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

2 hours ago, Beef Wellington said:

Nice job on the carvings Michael.  The colour of the cherry looks vey nice indeed.

Thank you Jason

And thanks everyone else for the likes

• 2 months later...

Started lining out the planking.  It is relatively straightforward and the run looks good to the eye.  I was able to get the first plank on and it seemed to go well.  Will see if I can get the opposite plank on tomorrow.

IMG_1609.thumb.jpeg.4b949bf96803b46310bc2d8ea4ffbc0e.jpeg

IMG_1610.thumb.jpeg.2a84760e537e9e4429356e9d665438c9.jpeg

IMG_1615.jpeg.956b283552f17133413b13121eb9fc61.jpeg

Looks good but I will go on record that your clamping is a really bad idea.   The planks are too fragile for rubber bands and so are those this frames.   There is a really good chance they will break under that pressure.   Be very very careful....bending them is bad at all and because they are so thin its better to bend them off the model.  Just my opinion...

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Those are very loose and are not exerting much pressure at all.  Being bent off the model makes it so there isn’t much need for pressure.  I use regular pva and it takes a couple minutes to set.  Will ditch them just to be safe

• 3 weeks later...

So I was fitting plank 7 and my sleeve caught the tip and snapped it off... One of the other billets had a bunch of unused space so I traced out the shape and have been slowly shaping it to fit.  Still more to do.  One thing the new one is slightly thicker.  The original was 1/32 (or 4/128) and the new one seems to be 5/128 or so.  To get it to match will have to thin it down just a bit.  Will be traveling a bunch over the holidays and am not sure if it will travel well but we will see if I can take more than the practice carvings.

IMG_1636.jpeg.e34ef119d2f142cf3e6b5bd86375f643.jpeg

I’ve taken carving supplies when traveling, too, lol.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

11 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

I’ve taken carving supplies when traveling, too, lol.

It all fits into a small plastic box and keeps me making “progress” even when out of town

Yep.  I take my stuff when traveling on business.  On my last business trip, I made a bunch of test carvings off the sterns of the Triton and the Winchelsea just to see if I could.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 weeks later...

So I spent Thanksgiving at my fathers house. One of the things my father has been doing for last couple years is anybody who comes over and has to leave with something from the house. I think it’s his way of getting rid of stuff without actually having to throw stuff away. As I was looking through some of the junk in the basement I can cross this. As far as I can remember this is the very first ship model ever made. I think I was seven or eight at the time.

My father tells me that I got in trouble at school because I was distracted and not paying attention and apparently my teachers asked if I had any trouble concentrating. My father apparently replied he just put a ship model together all by himself. And he thinks I was about seven or eight approximately third grade or so.

Obviously in the last 43 years or so the model has had some battle damage. But I thought it was interesting. 

67D575CC-5A9F-409B-808B-2437BDF2A6E4.thumb.jpeg.f2f6e83801634ef57fdf79723a4b139f.jpeg

7572FE14-B7D5-41E5-8F7D-A791A33A0406.thumb.jpeg.2c19f404ecaf06dd5bf0915984e96eaf.jpeg

061E445D-EBAD-44C5-A18F-FA613291DA2F.thumb.jpeg.7779b869aa4490ef7c95ffc97e6ec445.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year to everyone!  

This was my holiday season to work so I have only had a few days off in the last few weeks.  Things should be getting back to normal soon.  A bit late but here is the best pic I can find of the helpers.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.6e4759ee2be953923385304963b2aef2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Your dad took good care of that battle wagon. Not many plastic models withstand time so well. Gonna fix it up and case it?.

So how's the carving coming? We're anxious to see samples. Maybe Saturday...if you're off

Current build: Great Harry, restoration 

On hold: Soliel Royale, Mantua

Completed:

Bluenose ll, Artesania Latina

San Francisco llArtesania Latina

Chris Craft barrel back triple cockpit, Dumas

Chris Craft 1940 double cockpit, Dumas

Santa Maria, Artesania Latina

1901 Scow Schooner, scratch built

Hannah, Continental Navy, scratch built 

Candelaria bomb ship, OcCre

Pride of Baltimore, Model Shipways